Snakes

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Got waaaay too close to a Tiger on a ride after work last night, weirdly I saw it before it saw me and wasn't til I dropped my foot heavily that it clocked me and leapt into some undergrowth. Didn't know snakes could leap.
Yeah, I had the same thing happen along my local creek path earlier in the year - except I hadn't seen the snake as it was behind a fallen tree. Scared the bejeezus outta me when it took of like a coil spring unloading, though to be fair if it was launching like that I think the feeling of surprise was mutual...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its Australia, there are snakes everywhere.

This year I have been seeing at least 1 snake per ride, I had 4 on a Sturt Gorge loop the other day.

Definitely a lot more around this year than the last few years, then again, I'm getting out a bit more in the heat due to electrical assistance.

So took woofy a walk at lunch, he's a little pissy pee-dog, has to cock his leg on every post and tree. He has piss for the first 10 leg cocks then dry for the next 150 :rolleyes:
When were walking through the bush tracks, I don't let him near the trees off the path for one reason... and it happened today.

Heads towards a big gum with grass around the bottom, I pull the lead to bring him back and BOOM snake straight out of the grass and thrashes across the path just under his head. Now I've pulled him so hard he's nearly done a backflip and now he dropped his tail... faak. He drops his tail when he's unhappy with something, was worried he been bitten but after 10 minutes I've worked out he's huffing with me for the unexpected backflip.

Lucky it was me and not the missus, she lets him sniff everything and piss on every tree/post.

Its been about 1 hour, dog seems ok.

Got a pic of the brownie as it stopped, then slowly moved off into the undergrowth.

PXL_20231107_033042415.MP~2.jpg

jrewing

Eats Squid

This year I have been seeing at least 1 snake per ride, I had 4 on a Sturt Gorge loop the other day.

Definitely a lot more around this year than the last few years, then again, I'm getting out a bit more in the heat due to electrical assistance.

So took woofy a walk at lunch, he's a little pissy pee-dog, has to cock his leg on every post and tree. He has piss for the first 10 leg cocks then dry for the next 150 :rolleyes:
When were walking through the bush tracks, I don't let him near the trees off the path for one reason... and it happened today.

Heads towards a big gum with grass around the bottom, I pull the lead to bring him back and BOOM snake straight out of the grass and thrashes across the path just under his head. Now I've pulled him so hard he's nearly done a backflip and now he dropped his tail... faak. He drops his tail when he's unhappy with something, was worried he been bitten but after 10 minutes I've worked out he's huffing with me for the unexpected backflip.

Lucky it was me and not the missus, she lets him sniff everything and piss on every tree/post.

Got a pic of the brownie as it stopped, then slowly moved off into the undergrowth.

View attachment 404238
I love snakes but not brown snakes. Give snakes a bad name.

ozzybmx

I love snakes but not brown snakes. Give snakes a bad name.
Its only a wee old 'brownie' :D

Luckily they are more afraid of us that we are of them, which is a good thing for the snake with the 2nd most toxic venom on the planet. Only beaten by the Aussie Inland Taipan, which is a bit more aggressive.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

View attachment 404238
Good soize!

Freediver

I can go full Karen

View attachment 404238
It's hard to tell from that photo but it looks like it's got a broader head and thicker neck. It might be a copperhead.
Describing it as thrashing across the the track and not rearing also suggests a copperhead.

ozzybmx

It's hard to tell from that photo but it looks like it's got a broader head and thicker neck. It might be a copperhead.
Describing it as thrashing across the the track and not rearing also suggests a copperhead.
Brownies thrash when they are spooked. I got 4 photos, 100% Eastern Brown.

PXL_20231107_033040954.MP~2.jpg

ozzybmx

I only have one RB member on ignore, if you've turned over a new leaf and can be polite, I could put you on probation ;)

jfghjghfhgfdk.jpg

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
2nd hand story clearly, but one of the locals was riding in a group by the river and saw a Brownie. Said rider panicked, in trying to avoid the snake hit the tree next to the snake and landed, you guessed it, on the snake.

Brownie had the good manners to only give a WTF are you doing dry bite and Old Mate lived to tell the tale.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Been at Maydena the past few days. Yesterday I rode King Brown into King Cobra into Tinder and had to jump a tiger snake mid trail! No pics but I'm 100% sure it was a Tiger. Sunning itself on the trail in a ray of sunshine coming in thru the trees!

ozzybmx

dry bite and Old Mate lived to tell the tale.
I know more people who have had dry bites than envenomated.

They reckon they had puncture wounds but I wonder if the little fangs had something to do with it.

Old mate that worked with me, walking about his paddock in a bonds singlet and thongs (yeah that's it apart from the bottle of red wine) got a wet one :rolleyes:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
2nd hand story clearly, but one of the locals was riding in a group by the river and saw a Brownie. Said rider panicked, in trying to avoid the snake hit the tree next to the snake and landed, you guessed it, on the snake.

Brownie had the good manners to only give a WTF are you doing dry bite and Old Mate lived to tell the tale.
Wasn't me...

nathanm

Eats Squid
Saw my first one for the season in the Meehan range yesterday. Heard it in the leaf litter next to the trail, caught sight of the back half and tried to hunt it down to grab a photo for Jayne but it was shy. So dry in Tassie atm they'll be out in big numbers looking foe water