Snakes

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it was actually me jumping onto the furniture to get away, but with a chair and a whip I reckon I could train one up to the task:spider::spider::spider::peep:

fatdude

Likes Bikes
At least if you see Red Belly blacks around you won't be seeing any brown snakes as they will kill them, but I'd prefer not to see any.

Strangely enough for those that care the red bellies are in decline (not endangered by any means), as their diet mainly consists of frogs, but because of cane toads they are dying as a result of eating them.
This is why when I found a baby red belly getting hassled by my border collie in the back yard I very carefully rounded it up into a tub and walked it a couple hundred metres away from the house and released it into a creek bed. I'd much rather me or the kids coming back across him down the track and not a brown.

Had another sighting of a decent size (bout 1.5m) red belly when riding with my brother a little while back. We were off the bikes and pushing through the scrub down a steep hill to cut across to the next track and it came flying down the hill in between us. man those suckers are fast.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
stopped to re-adjust my backpack today turn around to notice i'd just ridding past a red belly black who proceeded to slither off the trail edge and into the scrub. totally took the wind out of my sails... every stick was a snake for the next 15 mins :-/. When I returned past the same spot I lifted my legs up to the handlebar and freewheel for 30 meters :loco:

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
It sucks how just seeing one snake on a trail puts you on edge the rest of the ride. Every rustle in the surrounding bushes gets your attention at some points taking your focus of the trail.

RDH

Likes Dirt
I ran over a snake on the commute home once. Thought it was a stick. Not sure of the species but it was not pleased with being accidentally assaulted.

Nick76

Squid
Manly Dam middle of April this year, spotted this moving stick just after Vomit Hill...On a very cool day after a night of rain.

Attachments

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
This is why when I found a baby red belly getting hassled by my border collie in the back yard I very carefully rounded it up into a tub and walked it a couple hundred metres away from the house and released it into a creek bed. I'd much rather me or the kids coming back across him down the track and not a brown.

Had another sighting of a decent size (bout 1.5m) red belly when riding with my brother a little while back. We were off the bikes and pushing through the scrub down a steep hill to cut across to the next track and it came flying down the hill in between us. man those suckers are fast.
Rounded it up? screw that, if theres a snake anywhere near our place the shovel is out within 10 seconds of seeing the thing.

dg25

Likes Bikes
Snake Bite

I got bitten by a snake while i was riding by myself yesterday afternoon. I was just cruising around my local trails on the look out for snakes after reading this thread. Then coming down this trail (i wasnt going fast because i recently broke my collarbone) i felt something bite me on the back of my leg. Realising it was most likely a snake I absolutely shat myself and after reading this thread i made sure to keep my leg still and keep calm, I rolled down the trail until i could get off. Thankfully that particular trail runs right next the busiest road through the forest and is also right on the edge of the forest. I stopped and saw the two fang marks where i had been bitten so i called the ambo and they arrived within 10 minutes. I spent the night in the hospital and they did numerous blood tests but nothing came up.

I didnt see the snake at all but im 90% sure it was a brown just because of their aggressive nature and also they tend not to inject a lot of venom on the first bite when provoked. Either way im lucky that i got off easy but next time i go riding I'll definitely take a compression bandage!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread it definitely help me stay calm and ensured i knew everything i needed to know!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well that's the first time I've heard of a rider being bit as they rode past, only thing I can say is ride faster, sounds like you were lucky!!!!

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Came across this at Manly Dam in December last year. Haven't seen many snakes being a kiwi so caught me off guard.

Was pretty big and moving slowly.. looked to have something it its belly!

What kind of snake is this? Showed a few guys at work and nobody can give me a clear answer :faint2:

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yeah that's a bit scary that you got tagged while riding. Glad to hear everything is ok

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Came across this at Manly Dam in December last year. Haven't seen many snakes being a kiwi so caught me off guard.

Was pretty big and moving slowly.. looked to have something it its belly!

What kind of snake is this? Showed a few guys at work and nobody can give me a clear
Diamond Python, though the colouring is a little plain so the Rosettes don't show up very clear in the photo.
They are of the carpet python group and usually fairly placid

gregp

Likes Dirt
Ok, I swear this thread is about 1 or 2 posts from making me sell my bikes and take up chess… Can we delete it please?

Seriously though, dg25 – that is one scary experience. Can you please let me know what it felt like when you got bitten? How did you know it was a snake? Since I’ve started following this thread, I sometimes have nightmares about getting bitten while riding, but thinking I just brushed against a stick or something I continue to pound up the hill, then a sudden headache and lights out!