Snakes

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Exercise does increase lymphatic circulation, there are a few exercises for lymphoedema based on the principle when muscles contract they put mechanical pressure onto the lymph system resulting in increased flow. As far as I am aware this occurs separate from heart rate (?). So as long as you stop riding and walking, do the normal compression bandaging and/or just lie still and relaxed (if that's possible) having a high heart rate initially should not be a concern. I'll wager everyone that gets bitten has a high HR!
Yep exercise will increase lymphatic circulation and move the venom around quicker. The lymph nodes are really good at getting rid of toxins but you don't need much snake venom to over power it. The idea of the compression bandage and immobilising the affected limb is to slow the lymph system even more to give the nodes extra time to deal with the toxin a little at a time.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
So there is one other person out there that knows of then .

They are very cool.
And pretty wide spred. Most don't have the bright red head and cobolt blue abdomen so most people would identify them as funnel webs. Themales tend to be a little smaller without the mating spurs on the front legs. Eyes a grouped differently from funnelwebs too, one has them grouped together, one spread out but I can't remember which is which

I remember a ride where we stop for a break on top of the cliff lines over looking Wolgan valley. There eating a sanga while waiting for the tea to boil and out walks a red headed mouse spider. Cool but it disappears into a crack before I can point it out. Not to worry, two more are seen scampering across the cliff line where we had set up. must have been a lady spider there giving off the right pheromones.

Heres what the females look like they are a lot bigger then the males.
img009_big.jpg

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
Exercise does increase lymphatic circulation, there are a few exercises for lymphoedema based on the principle when muscles contract they put mechanical pressure onto the lymph system resulting in increased flow. As far as I am aware this occurs separate from heart rate (?). So as long as you stop riding and walking, do the normal compression bandaging and/or just lie still and relaxed (if that's possible) having a high heart rate initially should not be a concern. I'll wager everyone that gets bitten has a high HR!

Brown snakes are both neurotoxic and haemotoxic, they are indeed a nasty creature.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Mr Crudley........ Cheers for the heads up, we usually ride from Yellow Rock to Blaxland and then train it back, as we live in Winmalee, but I'll keep a look out for that side track next time I ride there, hopefully if its a fun uphill, its an even funner downhill ;)
It is nice trail there. The way from Yellowrock back to Blaxland is a lot on fun on the way in and a few decent climbs to keep you honest after the crossing the stream.

How is is looking there now. I haven't been there for a while. did it get badly burnt by the fires? - same for the blue Gum Swamp / Grose Head South.

Both of these rides together make a nice double header and great morning out :hail:

DrDoom

Squid
And pretty wide spred. Most don't have the bright red head and cobolt blue abdomen so most people would identify them as funnel webs. Themales tend to be a little smaller without the mating spurs on the front legs. Eyes a grouped differently from funnelwebs too, one has them grouped together, one spread out but I can't remember which is which

I remember a ride where we stop for a break on top of the cliff lines over looking Wolgan valley. There eating a sanga while waiting for the tea to boil and out walks a red headed mouse spider. Cool but it disappears into a crack before I can point it out. Not to worry, two more are seen scampering across the cliff line where we had set up. must have been a lady spider there giving off the right pheromones.

Heres what the females look like they are a lot bigger then the males.
View attachment 276589
I'll take a bucket full of browns over that thing any day..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've carried one of these Spot 2's for a couple of years now and 2 other people i ride with also carry them.

I am a shift worker so ride mostly mid week on my own. If you drop into a gully or ride places with no signal you can press the red button, bandage the affected limb and sit there till help comes. Same happens with a bad crash and you have no signal.

They can be bought for just over $100 from the US, the subscription ever year is about $115 and an extra $50 if you want to use the track function (sends your location every 10mins to your computer at home using Google maps). There are also 2 buttons that you pre program messages into like "im running late" or "everything is ok, will call when i have signal", as well as the message this also sends your location to 10 mobiles or emails.

If you have the track function running and you crash and are unable to press for help, the 10 min location messages will be drawing the position points on google maps all on top of each other, so the missus knows where to send the rescue squad to recover the body.... so she gets the life insurance quicker.

Works all over the world, all you need is satellite reception.

Great unit and piece of mind, we even use ours when we go bush as our #1 safety device in an emergency.

Attachments

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
red headed mouse spider has to be the coolest/freakiest spider out there. Females look like a fat funnelweb with shorter legs and bigger fangs. Males... Well the pic speaks for itself
They are the rangas of the spider world!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We see lots of spiders that resemble mouse or funnel webs here on the Gold Coast. They all live in tunnels and can be quite aggro at times. Never seen any with a red head and we treat them as though they are funnel webs - ie we relocate them by shovel to a place farther away (down the hill, not in spidey heaven)

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
We see lots of spiders that resemble mouse or funnel webs here on the Gold Coast. They all live in tunnels and can be quite aggro at times. Never seen any with a red head and we treat them as though they are funnel webs - ie we relocate them by shovel to a place farther away (down the hill, not in spidey heaven)
We get the same by the sounds of it. Some have a trap door and are more grey in colour others just have a bloody big hole and are black. If you rattle a stick at the entrance they fly out and strike, extremely quickly. I've also had a similar one in the shed "standing" up and walking towards me, it was freaky and I "relocated" it quick smart. Funnel webs have been found this far west but I don't think they are common, I wish I'd trapped it and found out what it was.
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

si618

Likes Dirt
I got told by a hiking friend (second hand information, anyone?) that: -Staying still, you will probably live 24 hours -walking 200 metres to your car will kill you
Just read an article on how to manage snake bites, so I'd say your friend was on the money, although it probably also depends on the snake and how much venom it injects, and possibly your sensitivity to the venom.

I carry a first aid kit with large bandages for several reasons: in case someone gets impaled or is bleeding out, or gets bitten by a snake.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Saw an eastern brown over near the ranger station at the Youies Saturday- they can really move when they want too.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think you'll find you're finding trap door spiders.
Not so sure. I grew up poking sticks in trap door spider holes in the school playground - we were allowed to touch earth back then. The spiders here are very much like a funnel web in size and behaviour. Iv'e seen funnel webs "dance" when I lived in NSW - it's not a good thing. They can jump up higher than a boot and bite immediately.

These spiders look like mouse or funnel web, not trap door and I plan to avoid contact at all times.

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
Not so sure. I grew up poking sticks in trap door spider holes in the school playground - we were allowed to touch earth back then. The spiders here are very much like a funnel web in size and behaviour. Iv'e seen funnel webs "dance" when I lived in NSW - it's not a good thing. They can jump up higher than a boot and bite immediately.

These spiders look like mouse or funnel web, not trap door and I plan to avoid contact at all times.
Same deal here. No doubt the smaller greyish coloured ones are of the trapdoor variety, but the big black ones I don't think are. I'll try and get a vid of one of them coming at a stick, you can feel them grinding at it with, I assume, their fangs, but there are no webs around the hole and no "door" either. On snakes, I wouldn't be too concerned about blacks unless you trod on one, we get a fair few in the yard over summer coming and going from the creek. A few loud thumps on the ground with a shovel usually has them moving away. As for browns, they are crazy, and personally if I see one while out I head the other way, quickly. If they are in the yard I don't take chances, not with 3 young kids, and they are dealt with. They are funny though, I've seen a 6ft brown being hassled by a small dog do nothing but slide slowly away, while another time a 2ft brown went hell for leather at a mate as soon as we stepped out of the Ute, and it wasn't giving up. I'd love to know what promotes these types of behaviour, are they territorial at all?

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4