Snakes

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just googled copperhead images and there is one pic that is almost identical to this snake. So it' is very likely a copperhead.
sorry, had been agreeing with ducky that slippy's snake was a brown, bad choice of words. I've never seen a copperhead in real life

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, had expert confirmation that she's a copperhead. Placid little buggers, sooo cute too :hug:
They are very placid but definitely prone to rearing up if you are too close and giving you a warning to leave them alone. Taking the hint leaves both parties happy.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
They are very placid but definitely prone to rearing up if you are too close and giving you a warning to leave them alone. Taking the hint leaves both parties happy.
I once heard Copperheads described as being so placid they wouldn't even lick you to death. :laugh:

Even when they do get razzed up they'll tend to headbutt rather than bite.

moorey

call me Mia
I once heard Copperheads described as being so placid they wouldn't even lick you to death. :laugh:

Yeah, I could tell this one was friendly before I even knew he was a copperhead. I was 3 foot max, taking the pic, and didn't feel threatened for a second.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't seen any snakes recently but the friggin lizards were out in force today. Not sure what they are called but they are about 18" to 2ft long and get up on their hind legs and run. Before I even got to the trails I was on a section of bike path at Menai near a small creek and 1 took off in front of me, then I swerved to miss one laying on the path but it jumped up and ran into my front wheel. Pretty sure it hit my tyre and bounced off as it managed to run off and didn't look injured (hopefully not). Saw another 5 or more on the trail.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be a dragon. Heaps of different species. Grab a pic?
I wish I had my gopro on! A while back I came around a corner and startled one of them and it got up on hind legs and was running along the track directly in front of me... must have been going 12-15kph! That would have made pretty cool footage!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Had to euthanise a baby Tiger snake this morning on the bike path. In amongst a lot debris on the track I didnt see him until I'd run over him, but don't think I was the first.

Poor little bugger... About 20cm, super cute and very stripy :(

D01

Likes Dirt

I'd believe it.

Several years ago i was riding in the Bondi State Forest and Copperheads were everywhere. There were 8-9 in one 300m stretch of firetrail where we had to zig zag between them, and they didn't seem the least bit concerned, even when my dog who was following us stepped over them and even gave one a quick sniff and look over.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Impromptu guide to doing stuff fast on a bike (volume 1):
1) ride a bike. Go bush with it.
2) unintentionally upset a snake by riding into its personal space. For best results, find a big one
3) Ride away from snake. Snake will follow because snakes like a challenge
4) Accelerate in vain followed by what sounds like an angry snake, 267 of its closest snake friends, a mountain lion, a swarm of wasps, a couple of those aliens from Edge of Tomorrow, and a kraken
5) fly through previously formiddable looking rock garden. Barely notice
6) break speed record previously set by a light aircraft
7) profit

I've had some close encounters with a few brownies on the bike.
Especially at the start of this year (Feb), where I was bitten by a snake when working on a home made trail. I noticed sticks and stuff whacking on my legs but never thought much of it due to the thick bush I was kicking my way through.
Only checked my legs when my leg started feeling numb and I started to feel sick and dizzy. Saw potential bite marks but still wasn't sure. When I was driving home I started to feel worse, pulled up to relatives nearby the trail and told them I was feeling weird. Took my sock off and saw there was another bite shaped mark but with blood coming out of it.

Ended up getting flown by the chopper to hospital. But was all A-ok.

Heaps more wary of Snakes now. Wishing and hoping that I am now magically immune to them.

As18258

Squid
snake moterbike

I ran over a big brownie on my motor =bike and it reared up and nearly got my cousin on the leg it was pretty scary because my cousins already got bitten by brown snake 2 years ago.