Snakes

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah, that looks like the one. SOB? had only got a quarter across the track when I passed. Picked up the pace a bit after that.
Son of Bruce. Not sure my guy is quite as big as Bruce. That photo was on the fire road from Drysdale carpark up to Boulder.

gregp

Likes Dirt
Yeah, that looks a bit like the one. I thought it was lighter brown at the head end. SOB(?) had only got a quarter across the track when I passed. Picked up the pace a bit after that.
God damn it!!! My worst fear realised! Was going to go to You Yangs on Sat, but literally thought to myself "better not, too warm, Bruce will be out and about", so I went to Lysterfield instead. Thought I was being paranoid...

Had two encounters with him last year which pretty much stopped me from riding there in summer going forward. It's just a matter of time before someone gets bitten while riding down track 4 or 6.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
God damn it!!! My worst fear realised! Was going to go to You Yangs on Sat, but literally thought to myself "better not, too warm, Bruce will be out and about", so I went to Lysterfield instead. Thought I was being paranoid...

Had two encounters with him last year which pretty much stopped me from riding there in summer going forward. It's just a matter of time before someone gets bitten while riding down track 4 or 6.
You're right, you are being a bit paranoid.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bruce's cousins are all around Lysterfield. Yet to see a brown at night but have seen a red bellied black at night. Gregp, enjoy your mag trainer from now till Easter!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yet to see a snake in my travels... it's a bit sad.

The poop in my pants would probably be a nice bit of extra padding for those long, pedally missions. :llama:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Jesus, people! Snakes are not to be feared, just reasonably feared!

Here's one I found outside my house, sticking his head out of the bushes...I pulled him out to shoot this short video:

https://instagram.com/p/BHY0-CeguJW/

I think some of you here should go on a snake desensitisation course (if here is one). To stop riding your mountain bike because of an irrational fear of snakes

awr

Squid
Rode past a smallish (4ft roughly) red belly black snake in Engadine Sydney last week. If it wasn't for my mate pointing out the snake watching us I wouldn't have noticed him lurking on the side of the track.

scblack

Leucocholic
The snakes have always been there, you guys just didn't see them before.

Just be careful and aware of them. Snakes are ALWAYS more scared of us than we are of them.

As Hifimtb says, to stop riding due to a snake sighting is over the top.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

+1. best thing is to be aware, and scan the trail in front of you where possible.

We should all learn to bunny hop better and HTFU. and ride flats so we can whip our legs out of the way quicker. (and carry a couple of compression bandages in our hydration pack)

That being said, there are probably more snakes over the stockyards side, and esp rockwells & environs due to the water nearby, and I could hear frogs, so Bruce, son of Bruce and family and friends are going to be more active there.

Same with Yarra trails - near water, & Lysty has the lake and lots of small ponds. Can't control what you are going to encounter.

Beej1

I've had one have a go at my tyre/spokes along the Yarra.

Each subsequent sighting has been no more unsettling than previous.

All snake sightings pale in comparison to the level of anxiety upon riding through a giant spider web at night at high speed, with a large 6 - 8cm diameter spider right in the middle. One of those ones with the big, bulbous jelly-like sack and long spindly legs. Seeing it for a split second right about at neck height before barreling through the web, feeling it crawl around my skin for a few moments as I skidded to an abrupt stop, wildly clawing (gloving) at my throat, feeling the web along my face as I moved about, not finding it, reaching down my top when I feel it on my chest hairs, bashing myself to the point I had squished spider on my skin and gloves.

Apparently, it looked quite amusing to those behind me.

It could've been as harmless as a daddy-long-legs and I'd still take a snake having a go at my bike any day over going through that again.

We're all afraid of something.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Apparently, it looked quite amusing to those behind me.
It is called the spider dance after you jump off the bike and pat yourself down making strange 'yahhhh, get it off me' chants while spinning in a circle. A ritual done at one time or other by anyone that chooses to go first on a summer early morning or late night ride. Pushing through a large Orb Weaver web sure freaks me out :rant:

madstace

Likes Dirt
Jesus, people! Snakes are not to be feared, just reasonably feared!

Here's one I found outside my house, sticking his head out of the bushes...I pulled him out to shoot this short video:

https://instagram.com/p/BHY0-CeguJW/

I think some of you here should go on a snake desensitisation course (if here is one). To stop riding your mountain bike because of an irrational fear of snakes
You're a braver man than I, but having said that, what a beauty! Love pythons, they really are a beautiful creature, as are a lot of snakes. I've actually quite warmed to snakes over time, as most are either nice and calm like that, or simply exit when confronted with human presence.

Having said all that, fuck browns. They are the bull sharks of the bush, and only good ones are dead ones!

stirk

Burner
You're a braver man than I, but having said that, what a beauty! Love pythons, they really are a beautiful creature, as are a lot of snakes. I've actually quite warmed to snakes over time, as most are either nice and calm like that, or simply exit when confronted with human presence.

Having said all that, fuck browns. They are the bull sharks of the bush, and only good ones are dead ones!
I love snakes, kind of, respect may be a better word. The Browns I've encountered have gone nuts to get away from me, the red belly black and tigers stop to suss you out before carrying on. I'm not sure which I should be afraid of more!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
It sounds like my favourite game to play at the Youies - Snake Or Branch?! - is about to get a little more exciting.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love snakes, kind of, respect may be a better word. The Browns I've encountered have gone nuts to get away from me, the red belly black and tigers stop to suss you out before carrying on. I'm not sure which I should be afraid of more!
The Red Belly Blacks and Tigers are less likely to kill you! Not sure that helps ease your mind.... :heh:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As was mentioned a few posts back: "the snakes have always been there"! A few things to keep in mind: don't be the first rider on the trail at the beginning of the day. Let someone else make them angry and hopefully they'll stay off the track. Keep in mind that red Belly blacks are not likely to kill you. Brown snakes have very short fangs (around 3mm) so hopefully if you are ever unlucky enough to get up close and personal with an Eastern Brown they aim at your shoe! I did read somewhere (not sure how true it is) that Eastern Brown snakes first strike is often a warning and does not involve the release of venom???

Last edited: