so emo and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danv

Likes Dirt
Jordy said:
And they also tell me screamo bands are emo.
I hate when people say that shit!:rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be funny if the concept of emo existed more in the minds of people who feel the need to bash emos than in actual reality?

Browny_T

Likes Bikes
Being an 'Emo' is just like being involved in other subculture...

Surfers wear surf brands and surf, skaters wear skate brands and skate... Just as Emos wear band shirts and skinny legs and listen to music.

I remember a time when everyone surfed just because it was a cool thing to do, it still probably happens.

It happens with these 'subcultures', get over it.

To some extent side fringes look good... Skinny legs look good... And whats wrong with showing your support for a band? i.e. wearing a band t-shirt.

I think people need to get a better understanding of what different subcultures are.

Someone mentioned though that Emos are an easily targeted group.. And thats true. None of them ever do anything when someone makes fun of them, just mope and look all sad, which gives further reason to make fun of them.

Though, while some may consider me an Emo ( I wear skinny legs, occasionally have a side fringe, band t-shirts and I listen to some 'Emo' music) I have never experianced any harrassment or anything, and I thihnk that is due to the fact that Im a relativly big guy (all muscles and stuff...;) ), this just reininforces the fact that its just people trying to pick on a minority to make themselves feel good...

TonyG

Likes Dirt
This isn’t a dig at anybody it is just a question I would like an honest upfront answer to. Why do you feel a need to belong to a subculture of any type?
I can understand a surfer hangs out with other surfers because they surf, but I've never understood what these trends have that people feel a need to conform to.
I'm a very simplistic person and way too old to care what other people think of me, but even when I was going through my teens all I cared about was playing football, boxing and chasing skirt. These where all interest I enjoyed, I didn’t do any for acceptance.
I would really like someone who is in one of these subcultures to shed a bit of light on this for me when you have the time, as I would really like to know what the motivation is.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I subscribed to a few subcultures as I grew up; Headbanger, Westy and Hip hopper. I didn't feel the need for them, was more attracted to the culture.

I think it's definately an attraction through shared interest or aspirations of identity rather than a need to 'belong'. My opinion only, of course.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
I subscribed to a few subcultures as I grew up; Headbanger, Westy and Hip hopper. I didn't feel the need for them, was more attracted to the culture.

I think it's definately an attraction through shared interest or aspirations of identity rather than a need to 'belong'. My opinion only, of course.
Was it a natural progression from Westie to Hip Hopper? They all seem very diverse.
This is where I get a bit confused though, see I can understand the Hip Hopper bit, it's a shared interest in that type of music and culture, but what’s the attraction of being a westie? Is it the rolled up Winnie Reds in the sleave?:D
Perhaps you knew in advance that the “wife beater” singlet and the Truckies hat were about to take off and be the next big thing in fashion for all types of subcultures.:D

junior

get out of my grill
Jordy said:
I have also seen shirts around saying "I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself" haha junior
I notice alot of emo kids have 6-8 mm tunnels in their ears. I assume this is because it is just a fad they are going through and they are too soft to get it permanent (anything over 10mmish)
Yeh pokoj made that shirt haha..... ffffeeewww my spacer is 12mm it means i'm not a soft emo.

EMO prob most overused word this year.... But surfy's on the other hand, I hope they hit a sand bar and break their necks and slowly drown.

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahaha Tom, so right.
That was so funny at Yoyo's that night..And salad fingers..And car surfing..

I'd like to meet someone who calssifies Thrash metal as emo..Just so i can punch them in the wind pipe.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Browny_T said:
Though, while some may consider me an Emo ( I wear skinny legs, occasionally have a side fringe, band t-shirts and I listen to some 'Emo' music) I have never experianced any harrassment or anything, and I thihnk that is due to the fact that Im a relativly big guy (all muscles and stuff...;) ), this just reininforces the fact that its just people trying to pick on a minority to make themselves feel good...
Frigging emos always trying to justify their miserable existences :rolleyes:

Aah that feels better.

Browny_T

Likes Bikes
shauno said:
..And car surfing..

On my car... Or sitting at least.

AT least Emos dont go around stealing things and starting fights for no reason.

Oddjob said:
Frigging emos always trying to justify their miserable existences :rolleyes:

Aah that feels better.

But I'm not Emo...?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Han't this been done to death already?

Emos get picked on by idiots because they're obvious targets, like goths, metalheads,hardcore kids, punks, greasers, grebs, hippies, mods, rockers, bodgies, sharpies and surfers all have been in the past.

People don't like Emos, because it has gone from being a music based underground subculture to a fashion based trend, like being a goth did when Maralyn Manson started getting airplay.

The worst sort are the people (emo or not) who wear classic metal tshirts without having any knowledge of the band.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
If "being emo" is about being different then why do they all wear a uniform?

Different was Sid Viscious/John Lydon before an army of kids fronted up with studded jackets and safety pins. Different was the Dog Town skaters before Tony Alva became a superstar, Different was Ice T before rap/hip hop artists started their own clothing labels. Different was Shaun Palmer before every second kid had star and flame tatts on their forearms. Different was Davy Havoc before AFI became popular.

Does anyone see a pattern here. It all starts with one person who is punk and does things their way, by their own rules and ends up being copied by millions who want somewhere to belong bacause they are too insecure to tread their own paths. Strength in numbers, the anonimity of a mob sheilds individuals from taking responsibility for their actions, and so on and so forth. The whole "I'm different, I'm (insert subculture here)" thing is just a way for kids to feel like they belong to something, to be identified as part of something. It's all part of growing up and they'll grow out of it just as the next subculture comes along and rehashes something else from the past, hopefully not from he disco era.

Different is Greg Graffin from Bad Religion, always has been and he looks like anyone else. How many singers from punk bands, or any other band for that matter, have PHDs. Greg is proof that it's not how you dress that makes you different it's how you think, speak and act.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Dougy said:
Different is Greg Graffin from Bad Religion, always has been and he looks like anyone else. How many singers from punk bands, or any other band for that matter, have PHDs. Greg is proof that it's not how you dress that makes you different it's how you think, speak and act.
*Nods until head falls off*

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Emos sound like a cross between a Goth, a Hippy and Marvin the Martian.

"Ooh Black clothes, studs, etc.... I like it"
"Lalalala.... The world should be full of love and we should all rock on to hard core emotional music man"

"Oooh. But it's not I'm so depressed"

*Slashes wrists (just enough to get a bandage, not enough to actually die from)

Just paying out the stereotype guys. :D

Last edited:

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Slightly OT but another guy like that is Jeff Baxter, guitarist of legendary bands Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers. He's also a consultant for the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.

His life is a pretty interesting story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_"Skunk"_Baxter

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dougy said:
Different was Sid Viscious/John Lydon before an army of kids fronted up with studded jackets and safety pins.
Ummm, Sex Pistols was a commercial creation of Malcom McLaren and Vivian Westwood if I remember correctly. The punk version of the Monkeys and/or Popstars. All fabricated for record dales.

I don't follow trends, I prefer to go naked.

fair enough! but really, GROW UP IF UR EMO!! as much as ur life may suck and you think that the world is horrible, why would you think that publicising the issue is what everyone needs to know bout. people are far better seeing happy things and how great life is, people get on better in those conditions, and if your still so upset post yourself to a country that could use your help to build shelters and teach and feed starved children instead of staying here and buying ur crap black clothes and spending your money on hair dye when you can send it to people who need it to make the world better!!!

Browny_T

Likes Bikes
beginner_giantDH said:
fair enough! but really, GROW UP IF UR EMO!! as much as ur life may suck and you think that the world is horrible, why would you think that publicising the issue is what everyone needs to know bout. people are far better seeing happy things and how great life is, people get on better in those conditions, and if your still so upset post yourself to a country that could use your help to build shelters and teach and feed starved children instead of staying here and buying ur crap black clothes and spending your money on hair dye when you can send it to people who need it to make the world better!!!

I know A LOT of emos, and not one of them slits there wrists. Every single one of them is happy with there life.

Just because they wear black clothes, have piercings, tattoos, fringes and listen to hardcore/screamo/emo/whatever doesnt mean shit ( All of which I do, and Im not Emo).

Emo is an over generalised term that was made by fuckheads. If you dont understand it, then dont comment on it!!!

DeanE

Likes Dirt
beginner_giantDH said:
fair enough! but really, GROW UP IF UR EMO!!
hmm. thats harsh. i have a few friends like that mate, i belive that emo is just another group that is trageted beacuse people can, i think its how they chose to live, it would be like someone picking on you beacuse you ride a ride push bike or the music you like. come on how is that fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.