Spanky in Japan...

davieg

Likes Dirt
I just got back from Japan last month. I would be trying to get to Hokkaido if you can. It is amazing. I didnt see heaps of the south Island but Hokkaido is fantastic. Where i was they are soon to open a New Mountain bike park and wake board man made lake in the summer. They are trying to turn it into a Whistler Rip Off. The fresh produce in Hokkaido is also really good.

Nama Futatsu Onegaishimasu is all you need in Japanese.

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Cool thread, for those of us that have been there. I loved Nikko, and Kyoto and Nara.
Food great. Beer cheap. The locals are fun..

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Anyways have fun Spanky and but be careful and don't get caught up in any Godzilla/Mothra attacks!
Eyes wide open for that one.... the only attack we been under has been from japanese wanting to practice english....

horse hormone was fairly cheap and quite tasty, you had that yet spanky?
sorry, umm wot? Horse hormone? does it make your wing wang bigger???

Its raining today, so we are organising ourselves a little.. it looks like golden week will see us getting royally screwed..... as everyone in japan has their anual 5 days off in the coming week.

Rode over 50kms yesterday, and did some touristo stuff.... Spank-o-kun took a bicycle from hiroshima to Miyajima and back again.... Riding in Japan is just awesome...

fat gaijin... with Orange Crush (bike had been stacked and the little carrier on the front was all mooshed - so its name.. orange crush)

(someone we know thinks that the fat one is at home on the couch... using photoshop to put ourselves in the images..... yeah, see the pixels on that one bitch!)

Japanese wedding (this lady was just so perfectly presented... we chatted for a moment, and wished them both the best... they were stoked at that)

yeah, wanna go me bitch

cause the smoking bear knows where you live!

bicycle ramp with little automatic drag your bike up escalator thing

tips...

wearing a helmet will mean that your treated like a down syndrome sufferer.. i kid you not... no one else wears one so they wonder why you need one...

OBEY the rules.... this should go everywhere.. but jaywalking (crossing on the red) is MOST TIMES frowned upon... most times, you can preempt a light changing, but DO NOT cross on the red... it upsets some japanese..

Ride like you:ve stolen it, footpath, road, back to footpath, wrong way down street... watch what everyone else does and copy it.

Watch for scooter riders using the phone while talking to their passanger...

Change your internet passwords to something very easy, with no symbols, spankys high level pass words are just impossible to enter using a japanese keyboard correctly... something to think about...

more pics

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/spanky_ham_aus/hiroshima2/

spanky

John U

MTB Precision
i couldnt get any whale or dolphin, but i heard it was atleast 50aud for a 2cm by 5cm piece!
Apparently you can get the whale meat in cans. It's called Mr. Minky or something like that. I don't think it's too much of a luxury. I believe it is served in some schools.

Got to add, I didn't see it while I was there, and I looked for it.

Last edited:

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
havent sniffed them out yet? any suggestions on where to look... apparently its in tokyo... somewhere....

S
There's heaps of them around. We saw them in places anywhere from the Hotel lobby, to food courts. And yes, in Tokyo.

I love how they have hot drinks in vending machines too, that blew my mind the first time i saw it. Oh, and the heated toilet seats, scared the shit out of me (literally) the first time i sat on one, then i realised it was heated...and it wasnt that someone had pre-warmed it for me...

Amazing country

Geordsta

Likes Dirt
It's crazy how different Japan is. I went overseas for my first time two years ago and Japan was definitely the most different in terms of culture. Everyone is so proper and if you do anything that is crazy or strange I was almost always frowned upon. I spent too much time lost in electronic stores though. The japanese arcades are heaps of fun. It's like the one japanese guy who is really good at an arcade game here, but it applies to all of them!

I am getting so confused reading your posts, I'm not sure if your still with Lund or not because you have been saying 'we' the whole time...

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
And the food section of Takashimaya? Department store. They have some pretty amazing shit to eat. Everything you can think of.
this. they had just opened the singapore takshimaya before i left (around 2000). so good.. although every food was good in singapore

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
ATTENTION PEOPLE: What's the overall cost like? Definitely wanting to go over and probably to the snow, ie Hakuba in Nagano Prefecture.

Willing to work hard to not have to stay in backpackers, done it before and was constantly pissed off by retard people in my room.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
ATTENTION PEOPLE: What's the overall cost like? Definitely wanting to go over and probably to the snow, ie Hakuba in Nagano Prefecture.

Willing to work hard to not have to stay in backpackers, done it before and was constantly pissed off by retard people in my room.

how long for?

i did it on a "holiday" for 18 days, and it cost me just over 3k, including flights with qantas, and that was living fairly well, eating out everynight, drinking pretty much everynight etc. that was staying in a "lodge" at the snow, which we were lucky to only have me and my mate in the room for the first 10 nights, then we had 4 others for the last 4 which kind of sucked as they were noisey.

and in tokyo i stayed in a backpackers thing, in those capsual style beds, place is called the ace-inn, and is in akenbonashi, which is near shinjuku.

on the other end of the scale, i had two mates do a whole season at the snow.

they did it on the cheap, ate rice everynight, drank once the whole time, and came home with about 1000bucks more then they left with.
they got jobs at the skischool run by evergreen (NZ company) in hakuba, which gave them accomodation equal to about 50 bucks a week, worked one day a week instructin for about 100 bucks, and since they were over there for less then 90 days, they were still receiveing centrelink payments.

but really, i think i had a better time in my 3 weeks there, then they had over their 10. i still got to do snow, i got to live it up, see a LOT more then they did (they were to dodgy to look around etc).
it really depends how you do it, id say i could do it for under 2k 2-3weeks if i didnt get on the turps everynight at bars in the snow fields!

i also did blow close to 350-400 bucks in one night at a night club in tokyo.. agehi or something, its amazing how fast money goes, when your pissed and you have no idea what anything is worth!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
not sure about skiing... but its reasonably cheap if you take care, no more expensive than sydney, and the budget we are on... easily made.... might change though... only just finished week one

I am getting so confused reading your posts, I'm not sure if your still with Lund or not because you have been saying 'we' the whole time...
Sorry, we are confusing... when we say we, we mean me (and all the voices in my head )... travelling solo (who the fark would put up with the pig for more than 10 minutes... other than lund!!!) tend to just meet people in hostels, bars, trains stations and hook up for a day..then back to solo mode. best way to travel

Spent today visiting a good friend and science lab god Shigeki (Shigeki and the meat sack worked together for a short while in a lab at UTS in sydney) in Takamatsu... and eating oh so well... The train from Matsuama and Takamatsu sat at about 120-130kmh and freakn well leaned into corners... should of seen the pigs face when it first did it...

sorry for any confusion that this thead caused.....

have just booked a few nights in Kyoto... so, thats the next stop on this trip and seriously thinking of moving the flight home till the very last minute.... this golden week is going to be a serious mind screw...

upload more pics later... but japan is just so good!

s

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
If you can you should go stay at the Santana B&B in Hakuba which is about 3 hours from Tokyo.

Albert who owns it is one of the key players in Japanese XC riding, and he also acts as a tour guide to show his guests around the trails. I was there snowboarding a few months ago, but would be super keen to go back in the summer to ride mtb.... great country for it.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
If you can you should go stay at the Santana B&B in Hakuba which is about 3 hours from Tokyo..
Well, after a few days on Shikoku and then Kyoto (suffering from shrine poisoning at the moment), the pig took your advice and shot off to Hakuba to have a look see, we`re not at the Sanata BnB but at K`s hostel, which... is just f*cking awesome... seriously, cannot believe what the cost to stay here is...... and it`s nothing like a hostel we`ve ever seen. think hotel... and its just at the base of a ski resort...

Now to work out how to hire a downhill bike and have some fun!!!

There`s still some snow on the ground.... freaky!

s

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
If you can you should go stay at the Santana B&B in Hakuba which is about 3 hours from Tokyo.

Albert who owns it is one of the key players in Japanese XC riding, and he also acts as a tour guide to show his guests around the trails. I was there snowboarding a few months ago, but would be super keen to go back in the summer to ride mtb.... great country for it.
i was meant to stay there! but things kind of changed, felt very bad about it actualy, they were so nice when we were organising it originaly!

what area is "k"s hostel in spanky? as on what area of hakuba?