Spear Fishing.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Hey didnt want to make a new thread because the fully hectik wanna be mods would have a winge.
Anyhoo I want to get into spear fishing. Is there anywhere to fish in south east QLD that is reasonable shallow ( i fail at holding breath) and is decent visability?
Im not sure as how to start this sport what do i need and how much is it going to cost me. I dont think i need a gun just a pole spear. So can anyone help me out.

i love helping people out... but for you.

get fucked you sound like a dick head.

you want good vis, go on a calm day, you want shallow water, go one metre out.

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
i love helping people out... but for you.

get fucked you sound like a dick head.

you want good vis, go on a calm day, you want shallow water, go one metre out.
How do i sound like a dick head?
I've read the hole thread before i posted yeah sure its full of info about guns and areas around the Vic way. The only QLD stuff is about up north on the reef. I was asking about pole spears not guns and there isnt much info in this thread about that so why bite my fucking head off? Nah fuck this ill seak info else where.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Nah fuck this ill seak info else where.
Come on man, this is a mountain biking website and this is a topic in an off topic section. Spear Fishing is big so why not search for info on a spear fishing specific website?

Go to your local tackle store 'n' ask about areas to fish. Get a snorkel and practice diving and holding your breath in your pool. Common sense dude.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
How do i sound like a dick head?
I've read the hole thread before i posted yeah sure its full of info about guns and areas around the Vic way. The only QLD stuff is about up north on the reef. I was asking about pole spears not guns and there isnt much info in this thread about that so why bite my fucking head off? Nah fuck this ill seak info else where.

If you want info more specific to your area, I suggest you try this site: SpearOz

They will be more suited to your location.

Oh, be nice to the Admins. They need to "have a winge" to stop this site from filling up with crap.:)

Dive safe, and enjoy,

Shorerider.

sawtell

If you want info more specific to your area, I suggest you try this site: SpearOz

They will be more suited to your location.

Oh, be nice to the Admins. They need to "have a winge" to stop this site from filling up with crap.:)

Dive safe, and enjoy,

Shorerider.

You been going out over the winter season?

smeck

Likes Dirt
Just got back form a trip up north. Went out to the Great Barrier Reef for a dive. Weather was perfect and the swell was nonexistent. In fact the water was flat from shore all the way to the reef. Although the reef does provide shelter from the incoming swell.......

As soon as I put my head in the water the first thing that struck me was the visibility.:eek::eek::eek:. Would have been a conservative 20+ meters. Having never dived in waters this clear, it was hard to judge.

Straight off the dive platform there were fish everywhere, although they do feed them to bring them in closer. I was almost able to hand catch the fish, including a 70cm+ Giant Trevally!!!! If only I had my Speargun handy.:D

Water temp was cool at first, however swimming out, the temp would vary from cool to almost unbearably hot. The streams of "hot" water were unexpected. I didn't know that the change of water temp in these warmer streams, would be so noticeable.......

I don't know how I'll ever be able to dive in Vic's cold and cloudy waters, now that I've seen the grass on the other side of the fence. I guess I'll have to make do with what I've got.:(

It can chop up, the outer reef is a barrier so it only keeps the big stuff out. Depending on the wind it will still whip up an evil swell (3-4m) on the way out, near the reef its pretty much always flat. For visibility the outer reef is always good and especially at this time of year. Rainfall and the rivers flushing out is what stirs up the water killing vis but we always have 5m at the fringing reefs around the islands and 10-15m at the Barrier reef, diving on the coast can be 1m after rain. Its not always beer and skittles, but give it a week or two and its all good again.

As for the spear gun, if you ever bring it up be aware of the Green Zones the GBRMPA (marine park authority) impose. There are blanket bans on reef fish druing spawning and green zones are banned for fishing with seroius fines and its illegal to spear on scuba (breath hold only), Rangers patrol the water if you chance your arm, Fisho's patrol the ramps and have very definite Waffen SS ambitions. Hot and cold areas are only 1 or 2°c but are very noticeable when its 30°c water to start with, hence some wear boardies and a rashie but most use a full length 0.5mm wetsuit or lycra stinger suit, mostly for sun protection. Consider a lycra hood, a sunburnt scalp can be really painful. If I get too hot I just flood it, after an hour in the water you do need it to stay warm.

You have to make do with what you've got, but you can always move. JCU is full of interstate students living the dream, even in winter the water only hits 21°c.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Yeah Sawtell, I've been diving all through winter, and pretty much haven't stopped since I started this Thread. It's pretty addictive.

I've had some awesome dives, although it has quietened down a bit over winter. You can still bag a feed most times. I can't remember the last time I came home empty handed.

It's funny, at first I'd get "did you get anything?" from the misses, now it's "what did you get?".

When are you coming out with me Sawtell? I'm heading out this Sunday if your keen, conditions look pretty good too.

Smek, the G/B/R dive was a real eye opener to what you guys up North have day in day out. It was a real killer to get back into the water down here after that trip, thats for sure. But hey, 11-13 degree water temp ain't too bad once your used to it.:D

I've got a mate who just came back from a Cairns dive trip. The prick kept sending me pics of all the massive fish he was Spearing up there. If I ever head up that way, he'll be my dive buddy. All I have to do now is improve my breath hold so I can get down to 30m.:eek:

Where's Joel, I haven't heard from him in a while. You still out there mate?

Cheers, Shorerider.

sawtell

Shorerider;2000274 When are you coming out with me Sawtell? I'm heading out this Sunday if your keen said:
yeah will be good sunday... except as much of a mucho man i am... spearfishing is a summer sport for me!

i can surf in these temps, but floating around i get pretty cold pretty fast!!

i made the silly mistake the other day, of buying a 35 buck spear gun.

i doubt ill ever use it, the "latch/trigger" assembly, looks like its just gunna burst open and fire out of no where if i was to leave it loaded while "hunting" ..

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Well Sunday looked like it was going to be good, but it was far from good.

Went to Lorne and the swell was huge with 5-6 foot waves. Next to the pier (but more than 30m away) wasn't so bad as it is a little protected, so we got in there. Vis was crap, I could hardly see the end of my gun at full stretch. Didn't see anything besides a small samon. Got out after only 45 minutes.:mad:

Decided to head for Queenscliff. Saw the Boat they were scuttling on the way past.:) Conditions looked much better, so we got in. Vis was only 3-4 meters at best, and no fish around at all.:mad::mad:

Not one shot fired all day!!!!!

Oh well, there's always next time.

...........Shorerider.

blakie49

Likes Dirt
Give the thread a bumpage. Went out late sarvo off towradgi rocks. The conditions have been bad all week. But i was just so keen to get out there. Lobsters everywhere. Also got a nice leatherjacket. Anyone else started off this season?

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where's Joel, I haven't heard from him in a while. You still out there mate?
Still around, haven't dived in a couple of months though, been flat out with school.

finish exams in 4 days, then 2 months off then moving to wollongong so expect plenty of updates in the near future.

heading up to seal rocks at the end of the month for a week of spearing, hopefully get into some big kingies!

adman

Likes Dirt
Hello guys.

I'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to this (my only experience is through reading this thread) but I have an utterly stupid question. How come a spear doesn't destroy the fish with it's barb? or does it just make a small hole through its hide?

And also, how far does a spear shoot? 5m? 10? 20?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but I've never really understood it. My friend once had a hawaiian sling which destroyed the one fish we shot. There really wasn't much left to eat... :(

murrum

Banned
I guess my range with a 90cm gun is about 3-4m? The spear is a pretty narrow rod (5mm), so makes a relatively small mess of the fish, particularly if you are going for something of a decent size, and you aim well. you need to be able to get much closer than you think - the fish seem to have a fairly good idea of your range.

Ive had a gun for about 1 year. Only go out if the surf is no good, and its pretty calm (fussy). Im only just starting to consistently get a good catch. It was much harder than I thought to get good fish (Bream, trevally etc).

I struggle to bring myself to spear Leatherjackets - just sitting their staring at me. :eek: :(

Im on the south coast - Moruya area. Give me a PM if anyone wants to catch up for a dive.

blakie49

Likes Dirt
My oceanpro rockhopper is a compact gun. Its around 1m. Range is around 4 meters. I only spear on reefs and around rocks so its perfect for me. It doesnt ruin the fish at all. The salt water going through the wound doesnt effect the flesh at all. AS you clean the fish in salt or flesh water anyway.

blakie49

Likes Dirt
I guess my range with a 90cm gun is about 3-4m? The spear is a pretty narrow rod (5mm), so makes a relatively small mess of the fish, particularly if you are going for something of a decent size, and you aim well. you need to be able to get much closer than you think - the fish seem to have a fairly good idea of your range.

Ive had a gun for about 1 year. Only go out if the surf is no good, and its pretty calm (fussy). Im only just starting to consistently get a good catch. It was much harder than I thought to get good fish (Bream, trevally etc).

I struggle to bring myself to spear Leatherjackets - just sitting their staring at me. :eek: :(

Im on the south coast - Moruya area. Give me a PM if anyone wants to catch up for a dive.
Really? Do you know if off the rocks broulee is any good? I might go down next weekend.

Ill pm you for sure.

Oh and btw wollongong has some great spots check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI9Y2PElhno&feature=related

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread is in desperate need of some content.

I haven't been diving much lately due to all the other crap associated with moving interstate but i finally got out for a good dive yesterday morning at Jervis Bay.

Result:

Went 90cm and 7kg. not a huge kingie by anybody's standards but i was pretty happy with it. also got a decent bonito around 2kg.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/turnerdhr/JoelFish2s.jpg

Attachments

AcTioN13

Likes Dirt
Havent dived since i left school, so always dived in groups there. few years on none of my friends are really into it, what are opinions on diving by yourself?

edging to dive but its taken an entire summer to try and find a day to go out with mate but it never lines up.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also just ordered a new custom timber gun which i will hopefully have in a couple of months. will post some spy pics as i get them. pretty excited right now

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I also just ordered a new custom timber gun which i will hopefully have in a couple of months. will post some spy pics as i get them. pretty excited right now
joel where are you living at the moment? in the gong? or are you back in canberra. might have to try come down if you are in the gong and get a spear lesson. looks fun

sawtell

what are opinions on diving by yourself?

not really the smartest thing, anything, and everything can happen.

not hard to accidentally put a spear through your hand, or leg and struggle to stay afloat, or swim back in.

havnt really been out much this season, few times early didnt get much.

since buying a boat ive been doing alot of line fishing instead, but i do plan on getting a laddar for it, and going to a few outer reefs around pt cook area, ones that id be to scared/couldnt be fucked swimming out to!