Spear Fishing.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what are opinions on diving by yourself?
agree with sawtell here. i can not think of a single situation where i would encourage a relative beginner to dive alone. even the most experienced divers in the country avoid it wherever possible. it only takes a single wave to disorientate or injure you and things can go downhill very quickly from there. not worth the risk.

Lleyt0n

Likes Dirt
agree with sawtell here. i can not think of a single situation where i would encourage a relative beginner to dive alone. even the most experienced divers in the country avoid it wherever possible. it only takes a single wave to disorientate or injure you and things can go downhill very quickly from there. not worth the risk.
Unfortunately i dont have many people to dive with except some mates but they are just in the water to dick around and swim so most of the time i dive alone, i feel in my personal opinion its not overly dangerous i just dont do anything like dive down real far or go out in any sort of swell even white wash i just mainly stick to bays.
Id definetly do way more stuff if i dove with someone else like check out deep caves and stuff like that but when you need a dive there isnt always people lining up to go out you know, and i doubt i would have ever gone out spearing at all if i didnt end up diving on my own.

But im not saying to try it or anything or trying to encourage anyone (so dont flame me :p) but thats just my opinion

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Good to see the thread come back to life.

Nice Kingie there Joel, good to see ya back in the water.

Well, I have been diving quite a bit, and really haven't stopped since I started this thread. Its been an interesting few months, as I've tried to dive as many different spots (on the Vic south coast) as possible.

I just got a new gun, an Omer Cayman HF 1.1m. Wow, what a beautiful gun it is too. I've had it out a few times now, and its just awesome. Although, its much harder to load than my previous gun, but as I build strength in my arms, it gets easier every time I use it.

I have had a few interesting encounters with some big Rays lately that has been an 'experience'.

[video=vimeo;9418821]http://www.vimeo.com/9418821[/video]

(Thats my catch bag, with me on the other end of the float line pulling.)

I agree with what Joel and Sawtell have said in that its always safer NOT to dive alone. However if you feel the need to dive alone, always dive somewhere familiar and never push yourself. You could always get someone to come along to line fish or read a book from shore to keep an eye on you.

Cheers,

Shorerider.

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
hahaha where abouts was that ray!

theres some damn beauties down the south coast isnt there!

can scare ya a bit!

on a different note, jsut got back from a weekend camping down the coast, couldnt surf, or spear fish as i have a broken collar bone.
but, has any one been out spearing at meringo beach, near apollo bay? looks like a nice safe cove, with a some deeper rocky sections, "semi" protected from wind/swell?

AcTioN13

Likes Dirt
Just curious, been looking at some shore dive areas, and pretty much all say open water certification is required. How many here have their certifications?

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
The Ray was one of many local Rays at a spot called Bushrangers bay (Ocean beach), not far from Sorrento back beach. Its a great spot with heaps of fish life, however the Rays are an absolute pain in the arse.

I have since learned that Scuba divers frequent the area, and hand feed them fish. Which is all good, except for the fact they now come looking for fish when they see anyone. I'll be hesitant to go back there as I've never seen as many big Rays in the one spot, and it gets bloody annoying.

Haven't speared as far west as Apollo Bay Sawtell, Lorne is as far as I've been up that way. Just get on Google earth, and check the area for reefs, bomies and structure.

I've also found that a combination of sand and reef makes for a good variety of fish. Snapper and Trevalley love the sand/reef combo. Add a little Pilchard burley and you're sure to bring some in.

I'll be headding up to Lorne for four days over Easter and hope to get some spearing in. I can't wait

AcTioN13, not sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you're talking about Scuba diving. Most Spearfishing is done on breath hold (called Freediving). You can Freedive anywhere and Spearfish anywhere as long as you stay out of marine parks, inland waters and 30m away from any pier or jetty.

-Shorerider.

AcTioN13

Likes Dirt
goes to show research doesnt pay off, look up snorkel and it gives damn scuba advice. Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was the case.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately I can't take credit for this one, but still stoked to finally have it in my hands after a couple of months waiting. Hopefully get to show some YF Tuna some lovin' this season!

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Thats a bloody nice gun Joel!!!!!!!! Almost too good to use.

Water is getting colder and colder down here in Vic, which reduces the motivation to dive. However I have still been out a few times over the last month or so with fairly good results.

-Shorerider.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shot a little kingy today, my first of the year. had the best conditions we've had in months so i jumped in off the rocks at my local spot. had been in the water a total of about 5 minutes when a group of about 5 fish came in while i was laying on the bottom waiting for the snapper to come into range. picked the biggest fish out of the school and lodged a pranger firmly in the back of it's head, rolled over dead. only a baby at 6kg and 90cm but definitely answered the question of what to have for dinner.