SRAM drivetrain?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Why? You would loose the benefit of a VAT free purchase?
Good point - you'd have to find a forwarding company in a VAT free location, but then pay freight, and a premium for their service. Then if more than $1k declared import value then it's duty (~5%) and GST (10%) on top as well. Can see why surveys often indicate that a lot of people would happily pay a 10%-20% price premium to get stuff locally.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a CRC work around which worked for me.

- Login and change location to UK
- find item and add to Wishlist
- change location from UK back to AUS
- add item from Wishlist to cart
- checkout and pay

This worked for me since CRC changed its SRAM policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Oh this is interesting, wondered why SRAM stuff wasn't available on CRC when I ordered my new bike.

The solution was for me to buy Shimano. Problem solved.

Z

Zaf

Oh this is interesting, wondered why SRAM stuff wasn't available on CRC when I ordered my new bike.

The elegant solution that makes them rethink the policy. Voting with the wallet is always the best way.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'd be willing to bet that the policy change is straight-up geo-blocking and has nothing to do with CRC's margins or the fact Aussie sales a relatively low volume.
If we are somehow forced to buy a new fork for hundreds of dollars more through the LBS, SRAM makes more profit.
The seppo companies love geo-blocking- apple , Sony America, Microsoft....even the german car manufacturers do it. They all see our cashed-up living standards & think it's justified.
It fucking stinks.

safreek

I'd be willing to bet that the policy change is straight-up geo-blocking and has nothing to do with CRC's margins or the fact Aussie sales a relatively low volume.
If we are somehow forced to buy a new fork for hundreds of dollars more through the LBS, SRAM makes more profit.
The seppo companies love geo-blocking- apple , Sony America, Microsoft....even the german car manufacturers do it. They all see our cashed-up living standards & think it's justified.
It fucking stinks.
To be fair, I have met 2 or 3 decent seppos in my life

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
It fucking stinks.
I agree with you there; just because we're a relatively wealthy nation it's assumed we can afford to pay more for the same stuff.

Your example regarding a new fork is a good one, but consider it further:
- Using ctguru's above CRC hack, I can ring up a 2017 Pike solo air RCT3 160mm 650b, and the price is AUD$1,105.49
- As it is over $1000, it will attract import duty (assume 5%) and GST applies to import value + duty + local delivery cost
- For simplicity, lets forget delivery cost, giving you a delivered total of $1,105.49 x 1.05 x 1.1 = $1,276.84
- Over at pushys, same fork is $1,219.99 (assuming it's a 2017 model, it doesn't actually say on the pushy's website), and on sale at torpedo7 for $1,119.99

Seems to suggest that for higher value items, our local online stores are pretty competitive, particularly when on sale. Still pays to shop around though, for things like brakes, drivetrains and so on, just as it's always been the case - and keep an eye out for bargains.

Now if the government make good on their intent to abolish the $1000 GST free threshold on 'low-value' imported goods on July 1 next year, then all the stuff you can still buy online then will automatically attract a 10% GST premium. I don't know if the government is intending to go to all the online vendors that sell into Australia, and ask them to start collecting GST and pay it to the government, or if they just use the same processes that exist for imported goods worth more than $1000? I can imagine tuning up at the customs counter at the airport or wherever, having to pay GST on a $40 item, then being slugged a 1.5% credit card surcharge. Does anyone know if import duty will apply to low cost items?

safreek

I have the perfect solution for all you guys. Instead of buying $10,000 bikes why don't a group of you forgo the new bike for 2017 and pool the money, start a rotoburn import business in the uk or wherever is the cheapest and rake in the money, or pass profits on to setting up mtbing in a more organised way. I know its probably not that easy but it appears there is one or two people on rotoburn with IQ's over 100 ( possibly 1 or 2 more that I missed :tape2: ) so Shirley you could all organise something. less bitching and more action I recon, don't ask me to get the ball rolling as buying SCAM is out of my range, or anything new for that matter:emptybath:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I have the perfect solution for all you guys. Instead of buying $10,000 bikes why don't a group of you forgo the new bike for 2017 and pool the money, start a rotoburn import business in the uk or wherever is the cheapest and rake in the money, or pass profits on to setting up mtbing in a more organised way. I know its probably not that easy but it appears there is one or two people on rotoburn with IQ's over 100 ( possibly 1 or 2 more that I missed :tape2: ) so Shirley you could all organise something. less bitching and more action I recon, don't ask me to get the ball rolling as buying SCAM is out of my range, or anything new for that matter:emptybath:
The one flaw in your plan is supply. The online retailers aren't the one's making the decision not to sell SRAM downunder. It's a SRAM directive, sell outside these boundaries and we will remove supply.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Now if the government make good on their intent to abolish the $1000 GST free threshold on 'low-value' imported goods on July 1 next year, then all the stuff you can still buy online then will automatically attract a 10% GST premium. I don't know if the government is intending to go to all the online vendors that sell into Australia, and ask them to start collecting GST and pay it to the government, or if they just use the same processes that exist for imported goods worth more than $1000? I can imagine tuning up at the customs counter at the airport or wherever, having to pay GST on a $40 item, then being slugged a 1.5% credit card surcharge. Does anyone know if import duty will apply to low cost items?
The solution is more simple than you think. You could do this instantly through cooperation with the banks, credit card companies and paypal. Instead they decide to shaft the bike shop and place the burden on them. Make no mistake, this is all about extracting maximum profit from aussies. The policy for GST on imports is also to allow big companies to extract this profit from us, if they really cared about the gst revenue, the credit card companies could do it overnight. I mean they already use the credit cards to geoblock stuff out of usa for example.

I have just bought a 2014 Giant Anthem. I know now that I needed to know more about what to look for.
It turns out that it came with a broken 2nd gear/cog... I was chasing around the internets for this (copied and pasted from specs) CASSETTE SRAM PG1030, 11-36T 10sp.
Is there a good way to find a Shimano equivalent?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I might keep my recently removed 10sp drivetrain for a bit. Looks like an appreciating asset,
What would it cost me to have you post it to Perth? Do you still have it?
I am chading this, a SRAM PG1030, 11-36T 10sp or a decent equivalent.

Cheers,

Mark

Boom King

What would it cost me to have you post it to Perth? Do you still have it?
I am chading this, a SRAM PG1030, 11-36T 10sp or a decent equivalent.

Cheers,

Mark

Sold it a while back which shit me up the wall as I could have used it on my daughter's Christmas build....

Fair 'nuff. I have sourced a 11-32 one from LBM/S. Not purchased it but it is there. Of course a chain is most likely to be needed too.
Buy a bike they said cheap exercise they said lol

Sold it a while back which shit me up the wall as I could have used it on my daughter's Christmas build....
What did you build your daughter? What age?
My two 5 and 7 just got their first mtb with gears from Sanna. Both 20"

I see a great benefit of a parts bin special in a few years on. How did hou start?

Boom King

What did you build your daughter? What age?
My two 5 and 7 just got their first mtb with gears from Sanna. Both 20"

I see a great benefit of a parts bin special in a few years on. How did hou start?

She's 8 and got this
First real MTB, last one was a heavy as Giant MTX something 20". She's quite tall though, maybe 132 ish cm.

Bought the frame, stripped and repainted it, then added all the accumulated bits I had, some new, some second hand.

Last edited:
I was having my arm twisted for a byk bike. They, according to random dude were supposed to be duxguts. That frame looks to be a similar shape/ rake. Well done.

Boom King

I was having my arm twisted for a byk bike. They, according to random dude were supposed to be duxguts. That frame looks to be a similar shape/ rake. Well done.
It's an old Giant Talon, 13" from memory and maybe 2008. Everything on it can be transferred to a new frame when needed.