.Stair Gaps.

jayboy882003

Likes Dirt
I haven't tried a stair gap yet but can you give me some tips on doing them. I got a hardtail so would it be harder or less comfy? Where are some good stair gaps?

thanks!

Adi

It's my birthday!
The faster you go the smoother it is.

Don't pull up too much or you will land in a wheelie position like I almost did.

Definately go fast enough.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
there was a topic posted about stair gaps a while back - look for it :D heaps of good tips

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Theres a few good beginers ones at melbourne uni, oz-freerider hit them on his ht for a first time stair gap.

Agent Orange

Likes Dirt
stair gaps are exactly like any other jump or gap, dont even think about the stairs, at sped you wont even notice them, pick your landing spot, get your front wheel down heaps, I would personally land slightly front wheel first to get a better pump from it, but landing rea wheel first is safer and more comfortable. Just keep your front wheel low, as with anything like this lean back, if you have to much weight on a low front wheel postition any slight mishap will send you head over bike, if you get more confident and want to star doing 'stair gap packs' then get forward like any rythym sectiona dn pump down on the landing ready for the next launch. Yeh hardtails may be a lil bit unconfortable, but if you land it right you'll be fine. Try riding down stairs fast, or better still ride up to a large set of stairs and 'drop in', this means ride up to them and just jump the fist couple of stairs.

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Adin said:

Don't pull up too much or you will land in a wheelie position like I almost did.

imagine your bike shooting out from underneath you,
that would be ugly. :?

i wanna do one too, but the only one i could find was the fed square one and i was scared to do it without knowing what speed to carry in to it.

Chilli

Likes Dirt
im comin out of my leg cast in three days and im ready to start stair gaps, ive been pretty stoked about doin it reading about you guys doin it, only problem is my other ht is out of commision (also how the cast came to be) so ill be trying it on my full rigid norco one hun any tips for that? im sure it could be done. (not wanting to steal the thread or anything)

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
01_250 said:
Adin said:

imagine your bike shooting out from underneath you,
that would be ugly. :?

i wanna do one too, but the only one i could find was the fed square one and i was scared to do it without knowing what speed to carry in to it.
come on a city ride one time then you can follow some one in (if your doing the fed squar one it damn well wont be me!) but yeah theres lotsa good gaps to learn on in the city

Agent Orange

Likes Dirt
ahh i get it your all from melb.....dont you guys have many stairs??

There are heaps of em in sydney, if you look hard enough........ small ones to giant killer ones....tis all god around here.....

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was that the one in the middle of the week? if so i was there, but muddling around on my 250. Let me know when your good to go again 01_250 and we'll organise a city ride, ill show you some of the smaller gaps.
Oz, your a pussy, fed square is an sinch.

mmmmmmm, melbourne city council tripple set. :D

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4th of sept or 4th of oct? 4th of oct is my birthday, so ill be drunk as a skunk, and 5th of oct is state 4x champs, so ill be there trying to ride with a hangover. :) Maybe sometime during the week before the 4th since thats school hols and im on break from uni.

stair gap

Mmmmm much to learn me thinks! Love this Urban sh*t ! Big steps of stairs full hammer , go on! Fall off! Laugh and do it all again!

Stinkydan

jayboy882003

Likes Dirt
GUESS WHAT? lol, i tried one today. it was a 4 gap 4 i think down it Port Melb (end of the 109 tram line) and it was pretty cool. I think the city is the best place to go. Anyone got any good places?

curtisrider

Eats Squid
haha i did a 4 flat 3 in eltham,

the city is the best place, obviously.

fed square,

telestra dome,

near the exibition centre,

melbourne uni,

arts center,

ummmm, there is another one i cant think of, shit