Stolen: VIC- Red Specialized Epic, RMIT= REWARD!!

alister

Likes Dirt
g'day fellas, I recently had my red specialized epic 04 nicked from melbourne CBD. apparently someone saw it at you yangs, a younger guy riding it, was having a hard time bunny hopping it apparently. Just wondering if you guys might be able to keep an eye out up there. Thanks and any help appreciated. 0409868720

Bastards with Boltcutters! Got my helmet too WHITE MET Ippogrifo with small black peak. Like this:

Bike: Specialized Epic 04 -Large Frame (maybe XL?)

Colour:fire engine red

Date it was stolen: monday 18th/8th between 10:30am and 4:15pm

Where it was stolen: Corner of Swanston and Franklin St's. just in front of RMIT 4th bike loop from the end

Specs: The frame was built up only a week ago using mostly thermo 2 parts
Brakes: Shimano mechanical disc 8” avid cleansweep front, 6" avid polygon rear rotors
fork: Rock Shox Dart2
tires: wtb weirwolf 2.1"
seat: SDG Bel Air (Grey trimming)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
rims and hubs: mavic xm117 (?or similar)
Grips: oddi ruffian copies with gold clamps.

Other Discriptions: Has a black Led front light on handlebars and attatchment on the seatpost for cable lock. Full length rear gear cable, dodgey zip tied cabling along the top tube;)

THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL PICTURES; JUST AN IDEA OF WHAT THE FRAME LOOKS LIKE!!! CHEERS

If you see either the bike or helmet, please apprehend them, it's quite likely the rider won't even know they're riding stolen stolen goods, possibly having bought them from a pawn shop or one of their dodgey mates... For your efforts I'll buy you anything up to $100 from the bike shop I work at, or wherever
Pictures:

Last edited:

alister

Likes Dirt
cheers mate. If anyone sees anything call 0409868720.

should I get a list of all the cash converters in inner and outer melb and visit them all or can i go to one to enquire?

already done a police report and notified rmit security.

alister

Likes Dirt
Just got a msg from another guy had his bike stolen in the same place!

Should form a posse and bait the bastards with a poorly locked.. suitably shiny bike. Anyone in?

twc

Likes Dirt
dude you'll get it back:) its not every day that you see a back suspension setup like that.
good luck, tom

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got a msg from another guy had his bike stolen in the same place!

Should form a posse and bait the bastards with a poorly locked.. suitably shiny bike. Anyone in?
I might be able to help, it all depends. But yeah i'm there every week day really, i'll be happy to give you a hand atleast

jack.z

Likes Bikes
ugh man i really hope you get your bike back. :(
I catch the that tram line to school so I'll be sure to keep my eyes open.
Jack.

alister

Likes Dirt
Don't think i'm going to have too much to be honest but thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
i'm at RMIT building 5 three to four days a week so i'll keep an eye out.

in future ride a hack or lock your bike up in the RMIT secure bike car park cage.

Doaks

Likes Dirt
Hey Al its Sam from Lilydale:p
When you said Epic..I had no idea what you were on about...shit man now i see it. Sucks balls. I'm thinking of baiting some pricks and then catching them out...little fuckers should be shot. We should all carry tazers lol.

Has anyone thought of rigging a bike with a tazer?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Man this thread is as depressing as a doco on starving children. The pricks that do this shit should be chained naked to the place they stole the bike from with a big barrell of rotten tomatoes nearby for anyone who feels like it to have a shot. I'll keep my eyes open mate, even though I'm not really near rmit, neither will the thief for a while probably. Good luck man.

Rick1138

Cannon Fodder
Hey Alister

This does not help you however may help the rest of us who chain bikes. Can you tell me how good a chain it was that they cut thru. I am about to buy a new one and would appreciate the advice.

BTW really hope you get the bike back.

Rick

alister

Likes Dirt
gday mate, I had a coilable flexi one exactly the same as this:

Coming from tassie i was a little too trusting, just realised you can't have anything nice in melbourne.

Looking at it, it would appear through the plastic sheath that the steel cable is at least 9mm wide and the plastic is only very thin. BUT.,. after having it cut (they left the bike lock there) the steel wire cable is only about 3-4 thick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It just looks fat through the light curvature of the plastic.NO ONE BUY THESE LOCKS.

I wouldn't suggest anything but a good d-lock after this. My plan is to have a permanent parking position (ok if you only have 1 main destination) with a massive f-off guage chain wrapped in bike tube with a beefcake lock. Also make the spot a solid one, like a light pole etc(someone at uni chained their bike up to bike rack but the builders hadn't bolted it down properly so the bastards just wound the bike and chain off the end of the bar!)

But for portable solutions definitely a d-lock (they weigh the same and take up the same room as a decent fat ass flexi lock). I'll also be getting another flexi lock for the wheels, i'm thinking big rubber bands for the brakes, mini padlocks for the chain and/or discs. Anything to slow them down and make the bike less of a target.

dunndog

Eats Squid
My brother and a mate had their bikes stolen in the city a couple of years ago, apparently the thieves used something to snap freeze the d lock and literally break it?!? Don't know the details though, anyone hear of this before?

dj ben

Likes Dirt
that sucks. thats a nice bike. i have a bike lock the same as that... after hearing this i might look at buying a stronger one.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
My brother and a mate had their bikes stolen in the city a couple of years ago, apparently the thieves used something to snap freeze the d lock and literally break it?!? Don't know the details though, anyone hear of this before?
Have a look into Liquid Nitrogen... Professional Thieves like to use this to shatter metal when convenient.

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
i swear i saw a kid riding somthing similar up at you-yangs 2 sundays ago (23/8).. can remember as he was struggling trying to bunnyhop!

edit: fark, i just bought one of those locks, think ill loose $35 then 3,000 and buy myself a new one!

Last edited:

alister

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info. Keep your eyes peeled, there aren't too many of these around. The most discerning features are that it's a large size frame, the 8" avid cleansweep front disc with dart forks. 99.99999% sure there are none of those around.

If anyone sees the kid ask him where he got the bike. chances are it's already been sold to someone that doesn't have a clue it's dodgey.

You yangs regulars can you keep watch? thanks again fellas

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i go past rmit on my weekend rides quite often, ill look out, do you have the serial numbers on the bike?? that is very useful, f you see someone with the same epic s yours ask them to flip the bike over and check see is your beast is found, ill contact you if i see anything!!!

my_bike

Likes Dirt
I'll keep an eye out around Williamstown and especial NEWPORT as lots of Lebanese want to steal my bike and jump me for it.