Straya Day

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Don't like it. Don't believe in it.
Reckon it's a load of crap.
I do like the long weekend bit though.

Just having a rant, feel free to shoot me down.

Ok, so I get inundated this morning with Australia Day feeds on facebook with stuff like 'If you don't like this in 5 seconds you don't love your country' and 'If you don't like this page then you're not an Aussie'.

Well, sorry f*cktard who created that page, I don't need a facebook page telling me I am not an aussie unless I act like a sheep and like your stupid page. I was an Aussie before Mark Zuckerberg was even a sperm.

And then there is the whole 'Let's celebrate our culture, and mateship'. Mateship? Define mateship?
I also hate the fact that we boast about our culture. Culture? Isn't that defined by a nations architecture, food, music, art, language, history, and stories myth and folklore that have been passed down through generations?
Look at Europe and Asia, they have all of these through thousands of years of developing culture.
Australian culture is made up by following other countries down dark alleys and mugging them looking for loose culture.
We didn't invent the pie, pavlova is from new zealand, the bbq is american, cricket is english, so what are we celebrating that is so unique to us?
A quality of life? Well, yeah, I'll celebrate that. We are damn lucky to live here and I think we have a unique lifestyle and quality of life here. But is that culture?

When I hear someone yell 'Straya day'! I just cringe.
I guess the French probably have french bogans hanging out of moving citreons yelling 'Bastille day' too, and idocy and mistaking drinking and acting like a moron for patriotism is a global phenomenon.

Maybe patriotism is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe, hating Australia day, but being willing to take the long weekend that comes with it is 'Australian'?

Anyway, whatever you do today, just don't drink and drive, have fun, stay safe and keep ya sunscreen on and have a good one.

Bermshot

Banned
I have been watching Tony Robinson all morning 'Discovering Australia' (doing what I do) and I can say there is so much to learn about this country, both old and new. I have been stunned repeatedly.

A complete "odd ball" culture?

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh please stop whining and go for a ride. If you're on facebook you're already a sheep...

Ok, so I get inundated this morning with Australia Day feeds on facebook with stuff like 'If you don't like this in 5 seconds you don't love your country' and 'If you don't like this page then you're not an Aussie'.

Well, sorry f*cktard who created that page, I don't need a facebook page telling me I am not an aussie unless I act like a sheep and like your stupid page. I was an Aussie before Mark Zuckerberg was even a sperm.

And then there is the whole 'Let's celebrate our culture, and mateship'. Mateship? Define mateship?
I also hate the fact that we boast about our culture. Culture? Isn't that defined by a nations architecture, food, music, art, language, history, and stories myth and folklore that have been passed down through generations?
Look at Europe and Asia, they have all of these through thousands of years of developing culture.
Australian culture is made up by following other countries down dark alleys and mugging them looking for loose culture.
We didn't invent the pie, pavlova is from new zealand, the bbq is american, cricket is english, so what are we celebrating that is so unique to us?
A quality of life? Well, yeah, I'll celebrate that. We are damn lucky to live here and I think we have a unique lifestyle and quality of life here. But is that culture?

I guess the French probably have french bogans hanging out of moving citreons yelling 'Bastille day' too, and idocy and mistaking drinking and acting like a moron for patriotism is a global phenomenon.

Maybe, hating Australia day, but being willing to take the long weekend that comes with it is 'Australian'?

Anyway, whatever you do today, just don't drink and drive, have fun, stay safe and keep ya sunscreen on and have a good one.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Don't you farking threaten my right to get pissed in the park you bloody p#@f this is straya, if you don't like it go back to where ya farken came from caarnt.

:usa2:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
look mate i get where you're coming from with the whole facebook bullshit business and i'd agree

the culture yep agreed there too, but come now its australia day, where atleast 80% i'd guess are going to have a bbq or go see rellies or have a beer or all of the above!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I don't mind it. It's a good excuse to drink beer in the sun and listen to the hottest 100. Admittedly some fuckwits take it too far but generally it's nice to have a celebration of your culture once a year. We don't really have anything similar back home so all the annoying patriot nationalistic types get to spend all year acting like life was a f***ing shortbread tin.

I am bemused by one Facebook pic i was sent today. Apparently it's AUSTRALIA day not citizens day.

Ok. That's us told then... :confused:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I don't mind it. It's a good excuse to drink beer in the sun and listen to the hottest 100. Admittedly some fuckwits take it too far but generally it's nice to have a celebration of your culture once a year. We don't really have anything similar back home so all the annoying patriot nationalistic types get to spend all year acting like life was a f***ing shortbread tin.

I am bemused by one Facebook pic i was sent today. Apparently it's AUSTRALIA day not citizens day.

Ok. That's us told then... :confused:
Yeah, so what's the go with the citizens day thing?
Is that something Julia came up with so nobody felt left out? Is it officially citizens day now? I don't pay too much attention to politics.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Probably couldn't have said it better myself.

Australian "culture", especially how it is seen by other countries really makes my cringe. We are a racist, ignorant and narrow mind bunch for the most part, all you need to do us spend a week anywhere in Europe or Asia and you'll see plenty of Australians shitting on everyone else's culture and displaying little of our own.

There will always be bad eggs in the bunch and we all slip up at times, but gee we've got a long way to go.

I love my country and I feel lucky to live and have grown up here, but I also can't help but be embarrassed.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fuck this citizens day shit! australia day! its the name of the land we live in and its what were celebrating so why the would you call it citizens day? if your a citizen you'd best call your self australian, if you live and work here you're part of the country, hence making you australian, this citezens day bull shit is a grab votes from the bitches who dont wish to be identified as autralian yet still wanna live here, how the fuck does that work!???!!!?!?!?!?! get used to being australian or get FUCKED

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
fuck this citizens day shit! australia day! its the name of the land we live in and its what were celebrating so why the would you call it citizens day? if your a citizen you'd best call your self australian, if you live and work here you're part of the country, hence making you australian, this citezens day bull shit is a grab votes from the bitches who dont wish to be identified as autralian yet still wanna live here, how the fuck does that work!???!!!?!?!?!?! get used to being australian or get FUCKED
I think this is the perfect example. Nobody has ever said anything about the name being changed. Nobody. Ever. Not once. There has never been any motions made in Parliement nor ideas floated by any of our political leaders or major media outlets.

Personally I think we should have a separate holiday for all those who get irate over a non-existant policy. We could call it fuckwits day.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Australian "culture", especially how it is seen by other countries really makes my cringe. We are a racist, ignorant and narrow mind bunch for the most part, all you need to do us spend a week anywhere in Europe or Asia and you'll see plenty of Australians shitting on everyone else's culture and displaying little of our own.
I would more classify this as bogan culture, not Australian culture.

Most Australians are quite accepting and respectful of other cultures. Overall Australia has been a fantastic country to immigrate to, I used to work in public health in a high immigration area and I used to always ask this question and no one ever said they regretted moving to Au or the culture here.

I do wonder how often our way of 'taking the piss' is misinterpreted by other cultures?