Structure Cycleworks

moorey

call me Mia
I like the rear end of that bike more than the forks. Linkage forks just look too complex for what they are to me.

I can imagine the hours of fun to be had trying to find where that creak or squeak comes from when it starts to get some real use.

Well done for posting it though Haakon. We should keep an open mind.

If the bike industry wants to impress me then make a lightweight reasonably priced internal shifting rear hub. They can start there.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Rear just looks like old Marin to me.

scblack

Leucocholic
So its basically a rear linkage swing arm - with a headset at the end, with an added linkage for steering.

Its got to be adding a LOT of weight over a normal fork setup. Fork is still there, it just lacks a single steerer - but there is a short one in that headtube AND in the swingarm. That means two headsets. The linkage and shock are adding extra weight. The steering linkage adds weight (and is begging to be snapped). And you need extra engineering for the front linkage pivot points, on top of head tube strength.

Its interesting, but is answering a question that's not being asked.

It will be exciting for those attracted to the weird and ultra early adopters - you know like people who buy Alfa's after their last one had to be completely rebuilt, or the kind who expect a mechanic to sign off on work they didn't do. You know the kind of person.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Its all carbon links and legs and one small shock - its not going to be much if at all weightier than a fork with all its gubbins.

i thought it was pretty simple - just a bunch of boring bearing links and a rear shock. Not really a lot to go wrong there...

The question its answering is - how can we make perfect small bump compliance at all times with no degradation in ride quality, how can we make it so its more stable under compression instead of less stable, and how can we make it as rigid as hell without 45mm legs?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If I could justify the spend for early adopters ($2K premium they reckon...) and it does what it says on the box, I'd have one for sure.
Here you go again...another chance to prove your claims. Just cough up the goods and ride with a smile knowing you're at the forefront of technology.

I like the rear end of that bike more than the forks. Linkage forks just look too complex for what they are to me.
As pointed out by moorey. If you want to get your hands on something with that rear end there should be plenty of unsold stock in the Marin warehouse!

Might work ok with poodle's special flexible seat.
That special seat is only adjustable in an up and down function.

Rear just looks like old Marin to me.
I was going to say the same thing. That set up didn't last too long and rightly so. It was ugly as fuck.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I swear I posted these yesterday. Anyway here are some other ugly ideas on bike design:

Screenshot_20171107-204114~2.jpg

Screenshot_20171107-204212~2.jpg

Screenshot_20171107-205038~2.jpg

The quest for small bump sensitivity is such a vaguely defined test. As long as you are driving your front wheel into these small bumps you will be negatively impacting the suspension performance. Perhaps learning a new technique is required?

scblack

Leucocholic
Its all carbon links and legs and one small shock - its not going to be much if at all weightier than a fork with all its gubbins.

i thought it was pretty simple - just a bunch of boring bearing links and a rear shock. Not really a lot to go wrong there...
Nah, not much to go wrong......such as:
  • TWO swingarms
  • FOUR swingarm pivots (and eight bearings as it has a bearing each side I assume)
  • TWO headsets
  • TWO steerers
  • ONE rear shock
  • TWO shock pivot points
  • THREE pivots on the Steering linkage thing - plus ONE steerer clamp
  • TWO headtubes

I'm a bean-counter, not an engineer, but by my counting that really is a lot to go wrong there...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah, but its all just cheap and reliable bearing pivots. Lot less hassle than a modern fork and all its complex and service intensive innards.

Either way, there wouldn't be much in it maintenance wise I suspect.

I think everyone is missing the point though - if its a performance improvement then that's a good thing right?

teK--

Eats Squid
It's like Lefties... I don't care how good the performance is as it doesn't compensate for the ugliness.

scblack

Leucocholic
Yeah, but its all just cheap and reliable bearing pivots. Lot less hassle than a modern fork and all its complex and service intensive innards.

Either way, there wouldn't be much in it maintenance wise I suspect.

I think everyone is missing the point though - if its a performance improvement then that's a good thing right?
IF its a performance improvement. Who can rate that for us? Does it Actually improve performance? Or just sound like it might?

scblack

Leucocholic
It's like Lefties... I don't care how good the performance is as it doesn't compensate for the ugliness.
Yeh, like a recumbent too. Performance wise they do beat a road bike, but normal people will not use it.

(But hey - a lefty does not have better performance anyway.)

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If is indeed the critical word. I for one would love a weekend on one to test it out!
Damping wise it cant possibly be an improvement. A rear shock has less oil and air volume than a fork, metric shocks became a thing to chase extra millimetres for the exact reason that more volume in both of those things will increase performance, and these guys want to throw all of that away for linkage driven reasons that are hazy at best.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hmm, why not make it look good with great performance at the same time. This is why people will still ogle finely CNC'ed bikes bits but give no care for SLX components despite it may be technically better.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Anyhow, this is the new thread that won't die.

Finally as esteemed MTB engineer spills the beans on the enigma of marketing shiny new MTB's.

[video=youtube_share;Jj0uBQ7j5c4]https://youtu.be/Jj0uBQ7j5c4[/video]

Flow-Rider

Burner
Anyhow, this is the new thread that won't die.

Finally as esteemed MTB engineer spills the beans on the enigma of marketing shiny new MTB's.

[video=youtube_share;Jj0uBQ7j5c4]https://youtu.be/Jj0uBQ7j5c4[/video]
That laugh is fabulous.

Last edited: