Sunrace Cassettes

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Actually really tempted to get one of these instead of a 11 - 50t Sunrace:

http://garbaruk.com/11-speed-xd.html#horizontalTab1

Much cheaper than an Eagle cassette and 40g lighter! Can be used with Shimano or Sram. I'm not 100% sure if it will work without their proprietary cages, but they're not an expensive add-on compared to having to upgrade the entire derailleur and shifter for 12 speed.

I'm still not sure the Sunrace 11 - 50 will work with normal 11 speed cages either, does anyone have any solid intel on that?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never had the problem you mention with Sunrace 11 - 46. I can backpedal all week. I

Personally I don't often have a need to backpedal all day in the lowest gear, but prefer the jump from 40t to 46t on Sunrace to the 37t - 46t on Shimano, which is massive. I find 40t is often a useful gear for steep climbing, whereas 37 isn't quite enough when 46 is too much.
I had a 40 and 42 on my bikes and the 42 would drop if you backpedalled after one or 2 revolutions. The 40 was on my Ching chong cheapie ht and it was much better. Neither caused me issues on the trail. My wife had a 46 on her Xtx hardtail and it was terrible! If you stopped and turned your crank even a 1/4 revolution to get the cranks back to horizontal it would drop down. Short chain stays perhaps? Either way, when i switched it for an xt cassette it was perfect.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I had a 40 and 42 on my bikes and the 42 would drop if you backpedalled after one or 2 revolutions. The 40 was on my Ching chong cheapie ht and it was much better. Neither caused me issues on the trail. My wife had a 46 on her Xtx hardtail and it was terrible! If you stopped and turned your crank even a 1/4 revolution to get the cranks back to horizontal it would drop down. Short chain stays perhaps? Either way, when i switched it for an xt cassette it was perfect.
Interesting, I suspect that if you have the perfect chain line etc then Sunrace will work fine, but if anything is ever so slightly out then Shimano has slightly better tolerances. I just wish they would copy the same ratios as Sunrace, then I'd be totally onboard.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have a Sunrace 11sp cassette on a less than ideal chainline and only very occasionally do I lose a chain from back pedal. Happened 2-3 times in about a year. I like it.

As for the new 11-50 cassette I googled where to buy it and it's showing on eBay at $9.99 US buy now from china free postage.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
As for the new 11-50 cassette I googled where to buy it and it's showing on eBay at $9.99 US buy now from china free postage.

Seriously? Sure you don't mean $99.99? Link please. I'd take a risk on a $10 cassette being fake.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Clicking that dropdown box sure makes a difference! Didn't notice that. 9.99 for an adapter. Of course it was too good to true so yeah, yeah nah.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting, I suspect that if you have the perfect chain line etc then Sunrace will work fine, but if anything is ever so slightly out then Shimano has slightly better tolerances. I just wish they would copy the same ratios as Sunrace, then I'd be totally onboard.
Maybe kmc x10 chains don't get along with sunrace cassettes...?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yeah some people on youtube have had different outcomes depending on what chain they use.

XT chain here. Can backpedal all day in the 46t ... but I never do

I wonder how the 50t will go with standard XT medium cage rear mech

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah some people on youtube have had different outcomes depending on what chain they use.

XT chain here. Can backpedal all day in the 46t ... but I never do

I wonder how the 50t will go with standard XT medium cage rear mech
Wolftooth are saying that Shimano and Sram 11 speed derailleurs will definitely work on their 49t expander cog, so I imagine they will cope with one extra tooth just fine. It's still a bit of a risk, I haven't heard any definitive reports from people who have actually tried it. I'm very tempted to pull the pin as they're now available locally for $123, which isn't an overly expensive experiment and worst case scenario it would require a $50 modified cage.

Still super tempted by that Garbaruk setup though, it looks so preeetty. Amazing that someone has come up with a 10 - 50t cassette that is significantly lighter than Sram Eagle, I just hope it's as durable. Unfortunately long term testing is way off as it's such a new product, so some of us have to take the plunge and become the guinea pigs. Pity they only make it for XD drivers though, wouldn't mind an 11 - 50t version for a standard driver.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be interesting to see how this 11-42

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmx3

compares to a good old XT 11-36 in every aspect.

Obviously the range is bigger, but I want to see if it creaks under power, shifts as well up or down the cassette and see how long it lasts..

It is going onto a 29er hardtail with a 36 oval up front. The front is what is already on the bike, so it will be interesting to see what effect the easier granny gear will have on the climbs.. is it quicker to spin, or grind up.

Torque is my friend, horsepower is not. Haha..

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be interesting to see how this 11-42

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmx3

compares to a good old XT 11-36 in every aspect.

Obviously the range is bigger, but I want to see if it creaks under power, shifts as well up or down the cassette and see how long it lasts..

It is going onto a 29er hardtail with a 36 oval up front. The front is what is already on the bike, so it will be interesting to see what effect the easier granny gear will have on the climbs.. is it quicker to spin, or grind up.

Torque is my friend, horsepower is not. Haha..

I had one on the trail bike i just sold and i had no issues + XTR Der + Goatlink. No creaks, and smooth shifting generally. Im also using the top 7 gears from one on my DH bike with a DH spacer and its been great as well.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cassette arrived today. First impression is that it looks flash !!

Will update when cassette has been installed and used ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally got to install this..

And try this tape out as a chainstay/seatstay guard.

The tape looks good but can be a process depending on how neat you want the finish to look..

A slightly longer B screw is needed as the derailleur only just clears the 42t.

A token bike pic..

Sorry to kick up old thread, i have just ordered the 11 - 42, will this setup run fine with my 10s derailer with a longer b screw from bunnings? Or is something like goat link needed for nice shifting?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to kick up old thread, i have just ordered the 11 - 42, will this setup run fine with my 10s derailer with a longer b screw from bunnings? Or is something like goat link needed for nice shifting?

If it’s 10 Speed sram it’ll run fine without a longer b-screw

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
10 speed shimano slx

Currently running 10 speed xt. The std b screw juuussstt reaches on mine, but i got a box full of longer screws from bunnings ! Waay longer infact ! So have quite a few extras.. If you need one i can send one to you..

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So now have done a couple hundred k on this cassette. Impressions are positive. Installation is easy.
The ratios are nice and even. Shifting is almost as clean as XT, for comparison.
Stupid me didn’t change the front chainring, so these was a horrible creaking noise when under load pedalling, like steep climbs or pushing it hard in a big gear on the road...
The front chainring still holds the chain, but doesn’t like the new KMC chain.

The 42 tooth granny is a nice ratio when paired with a 34 on the Stumpy 29.

The hardtail will be using a 36 up front with hopefully the same ratio cassette.