?SUSPENSION?

Billy

Likes Bikes
Marzocchi make some nice forks in the DirtJumper series, but one drawback is tyre clearance with them, acceptable when you see the leg size!
Manitou have the Sherman's which are sick forks, the blacks which are sick LIGHT forks, but only the top of the range are any good.

Fox make some sweet forks nowadays as well..

My personal favourite would be a DirtJumper 1 with QR20 front axle...

I suggest the QR20 axle, it's an important thing to have on a single crown long travel fork...

S.

ex offender
If you're on a budget, DJ3's are the way to go. If you can afford it, the Foxes are quite nice, but then again so is everything over about $1k (I reckon Foxes are niceR though ;) )

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes but the only thing that stoped me from getting a fox fork was they dont cmoe in a 20mm axle hence now i have ssssssshhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmaaaaaannnnnnnnssssssss!

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're thinking of getting Marzocchi forks and you ride more trails than dirt jumps then get the Z1. If dirt jumps and big drops are your thing get the DJ's. I haven't ridden the other brands so I can't really comment.

Although I saw a guy with a pair of Psylos the other day, it sounded like his headset was loose but the steerer had actually come loose in the crown. Sweet :roll:

G

Dirt Devil said:
Although I saw a guy with a pair of Psylos the other day, it sounded like his headset was loose but the steerer had actually come loose in the crown. Sweet :roll:
Yup :D:D:D:D there awesome alright

*puts on front brake......CREEEEEEEEAAAAAAKKKKKKKKK*

Don't go for the DJ series and here is why, the DJ's are built for taking big hit impacts, they have almost no small bump sensitivity. that might not sound like a big deal, but on the trail you'll feel alot of feedback in the bars, sure it will take drops nice, but if the trail leading to or riding out of is less then smooth it could make rolling into the drop sketchy or make your ride out hard to head into the direction you want. the z1 series is definetly the best for multi-purpose riding. it has small bump sensitivity, big drop capabilities and a lock out to help climbing to freeride spots. marz makes a 6" single crown, the Z 150 too. Shermans also seem nice, i've heard good things, but Marz has been making freeride forks since the mid 90's so they have some experience. if you intend to do the drops the Psylos aren't a good choice either.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats an interesting thing to say freerider125, since some of the z1 series forks come with the same damping system as the dj series forks.....

shmity said:
Thats an interesting thing to say freerider125, since some of the z1 series forks come with the same damping system as the dj series forks.....
the z1's use an hscv cartridge valving and external rebound where as the DJ's an open bath ssv valving with internal rebound. you'd see the difference when you open them up. i'm not a suspension engineer, so i won't pretend to be. the main difference though is the dual coil springs in the DJ's. it basically is the same difference between the Jr.t and the Super t. Z1's are much more adjustable to match terrain. hope that helps.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have had various RS and Marzocchi forks over the years, and every time i have pulled them apart i've been really unimpressed with the seals and bushings in pretty much all the rockshox i've seen.
the bombers always seem to have a much better designed, and had longer lasting bushing and seal set-ups.
i've also found that even the higher end RS products don't compare in feel to the bombers. the bombers have always felt much plusher and smoother. this includes directly comparing a set of 02 psylos at 100mm to a set of 01 z4's 100 mm.
haven't had the chance to try any fox yet, so can't comment there.
for general trail, and light to moderate drops, try any of the Z range.
i'll only buy bombers now. (plus the online help from marzocchi is second to none)