Tell me about riding in Bright

moorey

call me Mia
im an Alpine Cycling Club member, waiting to hear what will be the go there as they built most stuff that was around before Hero
And I say the ACC members will likely be exempt...and most won’t care of the numbers of visiting riders drops. Less maintenance.

SDA

Likes Dirt
If paying a fee to shuttle goes to the trail building (including maintenance), then I am all good with it. Nothing is free. Love well maintained trails

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Who funds the trail building (including maintenance)? If paying a fee to shuttle goes to the trails, then I am all good with it. Nothing is free. Love well maintained trails
It seems that Hero and Shred Kelly's are maintained by the land manager, the other's by the ACC.

SDA

Likes Dirt
It seems that Hero and Shred Kelly's are maintained by the land manager, the other's by the ACC.
Hmm... this is interesting, as I am more of a fan of All Mountain / Elevation, the Eiger, Corkscrew, etc trails. Hero can be fun when smooth, but Shred Kelly's is a bit boring, except for the lower section.

Boom King

Hmm... this is interesting, as I am more of a fan of All Mountain / Elevation, the Eiger, Corkscrew, etc trails. Hero can be fun when smooth, but Shred Kelly's is a bit boring, except for the lower section.
Hero is running a treat after significant work over winter and for me, Shred Kelly was a hoot too. I do like the other more natural trails as well.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Hero is running a treat after significant work over winter and for me, Shred Kelly was a hoot too. I do like the other more natural trails as well.
Nice one! During Easter earlier this year, Hero felt rougher than All Mountain/ Elevation! :D

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Last time we were there, we had 5 days riding, we rode Mt Beauty with 4-5 shuttles, Beechworth and did 2 shuttles on the DH track after and each day when we got back from whatever we were doing, a couple of shuttles up Hero. If it was $132 for a 10 shuttle pass, it would still be shit but easier to swallow.

The flexibility of not being tied to a time or session is gold, if we are our doing the tourist thing, get back at 3pm, we want to be heading up Mystic at 3:30pm. Families working on a 2-3 flexible runs a day are the ones losing out here and that is the majority of Brights visitors.

Kids dont chip in shuttle money, the parents pay for the shuttles, bikes, car, fuel ect and 2-3 runs a day is not worth $132 to a family.

If you had 5 bikes and 5 blokes throwing in ~$26 each it may be worth it for a one day pass, but not a flexible 2 runs every day for the duration of a holiday.

Obviously all speculation until the final decision is made but sad to hear it was even put out there in the first place. Nearly hoping its a threat to tourism to get the Bright council to fix the road out of their pocket or throw out some $$$ in the ACC direction.

Boom King

Mystic posted this in reply to someone on their Facebook page. Reducing sheer traffic volume seems to be the main issue.

We clocked up to 800 vehicle movements a day at Easter and we need to slash that by about 75% for a number of reasons which we’ll be explaining, including the impact on our neighbouring residents and dust issues. So we need to encourage people to use the shared shuttle bus service. Limited self-shuttle passes will be available. More info to come very soon.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't understand how no one realised the backlash this would create and why they didn't have all the facts and shuttle options available with the roll out of the original information.

They were not prepared for people to be against it and it is making them look very silly!

gillyske

Likes Dirt
This doesn't effect people that drive to Bright and use the blue dirt shuttles right? I can still park at the field without paying any fee's yeah?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Last time we were there, we had 5 days riding, we rode Mt Beauty with 4-5 shuttles, Beechworth and did 2 shuttles on the DH track after and each day when we got back from whatever we were doing, a couple of shuttles up Hero. If it was $132 for a 10 shuttle pass, it would still be shit but easier to swallow.

The flexibility of not being tied to a time or session is gold, if we are our doing the tourist thing, get back at 3pm, we want to be heading up Mystic at 3:30pm. Families working on a 2-3 flexible runs a day are the ones losing out here and that is the majority of Brights visitors.

Kids dont chip in shuttle money, the parents pay for the shuttles, bikes, car, fuel ect and 2-3 runs a day is not worth $132 to a family.

If you had 5 bikes and 5 blokes throwing in ~$26 each it may be worth it for a one day pass, but not a flexible 2 runs every day for the duration of a holiday.

Obviously all speculation until the final decision is made but sad to hear it was even put out there in the first place. Nearly hoping its a threat to tourism to get the Bright council to fix the road out of their pocket or throw out some $$$ in the ACC direction.
I agree. It needs to be more conducive to the general user.... which means a per time up fee. Generally speaking those of us who like to shuttle a whole day go and use Bluedirt anyways for $50 (although - i've always wondered about what role Bluedirt plays in Bright.... great guys running the buses etc, but something strange happened with Alpine Gravity (Benny) and Bluedirt at Bright and i've never been able to find out what happened. I hope there is nothing in this decision that has been influenced by Bluedirt). For the odd time i want to go ride the other trails around, i might want to get a quick lap or two in at Mystic in the morning or afternoon with the missus driving... especially with daylight savings and being able to ride to 8-9pm.

A per usage fee, or a "pack of 10/20/100" type deal seems to make the most sense, it's a user pay system.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think the main issue is probably is vehicle movements above all else. IMO the tolls suggested are definitely excessive, and I would prefer to see a per road-use fee, but with what they're trying to achieve it'd probably need to be linked to a booking system to manage it and prevent bulk amounts of vehicles using "per-use" passes at the same time.

I would like to see before/after hours (in regards to Blue-Dirt's shuttle hours) road access for early-morning and late evening rides should being allowed without a fee though. That way people that just want to drop past for a run or two still get an opportunity to get a run in while in the region without having to dedicate a whole day/shuttle booking to it.

Switch

huskier headed gent
ACP just want a big reduction in numbers which I can see resulting in a poor outcome for tourism in the area. Word on the street is that they will be manning a boom gate as this is the only possible way to police it. Local members of the ACC will be able to get a discounted access in exchange for documented work on the trails is also being talked about.
Tourism is not ACP's core business so it is a tough call, the area is very lucky to have ACP allow access for land to build trails on but the massively over the top fee is going to seriously damage Bright's reputation as a MTB destination. The 75% reduction in vehicles is a clear indicator that they don't care about tourists just their overheads.
At the moment it looks like the current fee structure will stay for this season at least, let's hope they see sense and things change back to a more user friendly system.

Boom King

Tourism is not ACP's core business so it is a tough call, the area is very lucky to have ACP allow access for land to build trails on but the massively over the top fee is going to seriously damage Bright's reputation as a MTB destination. The 75% reduction in vehicles is a clear indicator that they don't care about tourists just their overheads.
Bright will still be full of tourists, just less Mountain bikers. ACP are trying to address more issues than simply covering overheads by the sound of it. Our sport has become incredibly popular with huge growth over the past three years. It seems that the numbers using Mystic and the resultant issues that causes were never anticipated.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
it'd probably need to be linked to a booking system to manage it and prevent bulk amounts of vehicles using "per-use" passes at the same time.
Kinda takes away from the flexibility of it... also it could never be policed unless there was a body at the entrance.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Kinda takes away from the flexibility of it... also it could never be policed unless there was a body at the entrance.
Yes it'd reduce flexibility - but still better than "pay $XXX for a full days access" when you might just want to spend an hour there late in the day if you're staying in town.

I'm well aware that paying for a full day's shuttle isn't always ideal, but neither is having bucketloads of people on the trails, or too many vehicles driving up and down.

Despite the fact that everyone always denies doing it - there's always some absolute fuck-knuckles who drive private shuttle vehicles too fast on busy shared roads. Shuttle roads aren't private rally tracks and it only takes a couple of dickheads to draw the wrong kind of attention, which would be my guess as to what's happened here.

I don't know - I can see it from both sides. Yes I'd like unrestricted access, but I also want safe access and reasonable amounts of people on the trails and roads. I personally don't find Blue-Dirt's fees unreasonable compared to fuel of running up and down all day, have had (mostly) good experiences with the running of their shuttles, and tend to go up to ride for the day rather than just a run or two so I guess I'm just part of their target market.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is the road in a state or national park? If so they could just roll it into the relevant annual access fees.