Tharawal-Appin area

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Old Corner

I use to really like this corner, but a tree came down and it was rerouted. I have tried to make the tree a roll over in the past but it was hard going with a handsaw. Now that I've got the chainsaw we could either continue to make it a roll over or remove the tree completely, but I'd still like to put this corner back in and block the current line.

Done. 24th January.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Block to Left

This is only a fairly new braid to the left of the wattle remains. The original line has always been straight up the rock, although there is a sneaky little line before the rock up to the right. I blocked the braid off on NY Day, obviously not well enough though. I really don't like this sort of 'dumbing down' of the track and it has happened at two other significant features as well.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Berm Entry

After exiting some descending singletrack the track swoops around to the left to enter the next singletrack section. I always scrape the soft surface away and clean out the drain when I do some trackwork. What I'd like to do though is put in a berm with a drain at the bottom of it, where the current drain is. Have the berm before the drain and gently sloping towards the drain, if that makes sense?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fall Line Drain

Here the track turns left to go straight up the incline. It's not too steep and has held up okay so far. It would be reasonably simple to put in a few drains off to the sides to redirect the water when it rains like it has the past few days.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drop & B Line

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. It is the chute at the start of the descent to the bridge and also marked to direct to the Lost Track.

I've been wanting to put in a landing transition so it's not a flat landing off the rock to the right of the chute as you look down the track. What I've labelled B Line should actually be C Line, as the drop woud become the A line, the chute the B line and the rock roll down to the left of the chute (as looking down the track) would become the C line that some people are apparently already using.

From the top of the chute.

Looking up the chute. The drop and landing zone on the left.

Looking down the line for the drop. The chute is on the left.

The C line, a bit difficult to see, but to the left of the rock sticking up in the middle of the pic.

Looking down the C line.

Looking up the C line with the chute on the left.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FixACloseBOpenC

I didn't take any pictures of the B Line to the Right mark as it just needs a sign. It's the B line I put in over a year ago to get around the V Chute on the descent to the bridge. It's a proper B line that is easier but longer and slower with still a bit of the typical Appin tech involved.

This part (FixACloseBOpenC) here used to have 3 lines. The original track went to the right and you had to get up a rock face. A tree came down and blocked that line until I cleared it a while ago, but in between that time two other lines opened up with the longer, easier line having since been blocked off.

Now that the original A line is open again it doesn't offer any significant advantage over the current B line. I plan on fixing up the rock face ramp a little, blocking off the current B line and reopening the old C line to become the new B line. For me, this is another example of the track being dumbed down that I'd like to fix.

The A/B split.

Rock Face

The current B line with the C line blocked by branches.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grade Reverse?

At the entrance to the singletrack after the climb from the bridge is this corner that is always sandy. The sand is mostly coming ontop the track from the firetrail. I'd like to route some drainage to follow the firetrail and chuck in a grade reversal just before the entrance to the singletrack to help direct the water and sand flow.

Entrance.

Just around the corner.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fall Line

After a short flat section on the descent from the top it opens up a little to turn right down this fall line. I'd like to reroute this section and there is plenty of bush available off to the right of the track. It will take a bit of exploring though.

From the top of the fall line.

Half way down the fall line.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Block to Right 2

Another example of the track being dumbed down. This is the roll down on the traverse to Kings Falls Bridge. There is a clearly marked B line off to the left. The line to the right of the roll down should be closed off.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Block to Right 3

This is the 'entrance' to the double roll down at the end of the traverse run. The line to the right of the rocks used to be bushes but the original line was obviously too hard for some people and they've opened up this smooth line. I'd like to block it off.

Leading up to the 'entrance'.

Looking down the 'entrance' to the double roll down.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Log Ride

Just after the crossing at Kings Falls Bridge, after going between the poles, is a log running parallel to the track that I've tried to turn into a log ride but can't move big enough rocks on my own to make for a decent up ramp.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So those are the main parts of the race loop that I think need/want significant work. Any thoughts on any section will be appreciated.

But this weekend I think it's best to start with a more general walk around, clean up drains and trim branches back.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good work.

Rode Appin last weekend, and it was a lot of fun- shame it took me an hour and $17 in tolls to get there and back ;(

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Numbers?

Alright guys and girls, can you please PM me if you are attending this Saturday, the 21st of January, for an 8am start.

The plan will be to walk as much of the track as time permits (finishing at 12pm, but I might continue on depending on how far around we get); use McLeods to clean up the current drains, maybe scrape in a few new ones and trim back some overgrowth off the track.

Bring a hat, sunscreen, gloves and water (I usually just wear my camelbak). Feel free to bring your favourite trail building tool as well.

I'm working on a way I can bring my bike as well to go for a ride afterwards, but even if I can't, it would be good for others to ride their handywork. :)

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wet weather

It's just started raining here. If it is raining tomorrow I'll still be there. Bring some wet weather gear, a change of clothes and a towel if you don't mind going out in the wet.:)

MarioM

Likes Dirt
How`s the weather . I can give a couple hours help have a ride with my young bloke before i have to rush back down here .

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The weather is looking good. A little overcast. There might be a little rain ahead, but hopefully in the afternoon after we are done.

I'm leaving in about 30mins. I look forward to seeing people there. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good start to regular maintenance days at Appin. 4 of us turned up and cleaned up the first bit of singletrack from the car, up the climb and then down the singletrack to the roll down/bridge. We looked at a few spots identified in the photos and worked out what could be done at the Extra Track point and also another bend I didn't identify last time around on the descent to the roll down/bridge. Cleaned up the B Line to the just before the V Chute that saw some use as we were doing the work, which was good. Blocked off the Block point a little better. Also explored a planned new section to make a seperate 7km loop from the main race loop.

Carl-23

Likes Dirt
Placing large stones at the start of the trail will not stop motos, i ride motos aswell (on a full licensed track, trail and motocross track of course) if the guys on the motos are any good they can get up anything the same size or slightly larger than their front wheel (this is what i have seen in person) and they could just lift their bikes over anyway. You would need something very tall, vertical faced and slippery with a vertical drop on the other side too, anything short of a small stone wall and they could still get over it. If the large stones are theones in the picture i would have no problems getting over them, to the point that i could probably still do it at a moderate speed. Just my 2c.

Last edited: