Tharawal-Appin area

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still on this Saturday, 8am

If you've been riding Appin while it's been wet recently this is a great way to give a little back to the track. A few hours with a shovel or McLeod will help fix a fair bit of damage done by water and riders. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With most of the WMBC team at Interschools this weekend it would be a good opportunity for some new faces to appear at the maintenance day this Saturday. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice. I'm pretty sure numbers will be small so I'll be towing the trailer behind the bike with the tools in it. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another scheduled maintenance day this morning.

With a lot of the WMBC guys at Interschools I was the only person to show up. I walked the first half of the track and cleaned out the drains, which are working very well I reckon. I cut in a reroute on the descent to the roll down/bridge we identified in January but because the ground is so soft I didn't finish the entrance to the new bit, otherwise it would just get ruined by people riding the track in poor conditions before giving it a chance to bed in while dry. Two mtbers out this morning. :( One moto who was a nice guy when I spoke to him for a while and stayed off the singletrack for the most part and just rode some small bits nice and gently.

The ground had firmed up a bit during the week but the most recent rain has softened things up again. Rutts have formed at some points because people won't stay off the tracks. I was a bit disappointed with this mornings turn out as I'd thought that some of the two dozen or so people riding the track in the recent wet conditions that I'd spoken to about the regular maintenance days while doing some work might have turned up. :(

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's on again!

21st April, 2012 - 8am in the carpark ready to go

Bring your own tools if possible. I'll try to ge some from WMBC as well. Don't forget sunscreen, gloves and plenty of water.

We've got a few options due to all the good work done in the previous months.

• I'd like to walk my proposed reroute of the Fall Line point with some people to get their opinions of it. That should only take 30 minutes at the most. We may be able to start cutting it in and with a good sized team possibly get it finished on the day. Ideally I'd like to have this done before the Rock Wallaby enduro, giving us two scheduled maintenance days to get it done plus whatever afternoons I can spend out there.

• Another option is to do a bit of rock armouring and drainage work on the 'new' singletrack after Kings Falls Bridge from the firetrail. We should have a small bridge built to go in over the very last little dip that gets very wet.

• Or we could make a start on some work along The Lost Trail, which I think is probably the worst section of marked track after some rain.

This is also the day before the club race. What a great way to learn some sneaky lines to beat your mates! I'll go out for a lap after the track work to show anyone my sneaky lines if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out this afternoon to flag the planned reroute at the Fall Line point. I met a local in the carpark who was keen to help out when he is able but was busy at the moment. Once I'd reached the point where I wanted to start flagging he caught up to me and helped me mark out the line. It went much quicker with someone helping. Now I just want a few more opinions before I start cutting it in.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Is there a map with the section names on it?

Some of the trails look good, but there is a lot of work needed out there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a map with the section names on it?

Some of the trails look good, but there is a lot of work needed out there.
On page 2.

I'll add it into the first post too. :)

I don't think there is that much work needed at the moment. The descent to RollyB (what I'm calling the roll down/bridge) has a shocking section that has really suffered with people riding it in the recent poor conditions, but it's only very short and I've got a reroute mostly cut in already. I'm just waiting for the ground the firm up a bit before opening it so riders can compact the tread down without wearing it too much at the very start.

The climb after RollyB has a few wet sections but most are on rock so it's not a problem. There's some wet areas on the descent from the top after that but most of the drainage seems to be working pretty well and it's mostly water seeping up through the ground that just needs time to dry out.

The singletrack from the firetrail after Kings Falls Bridge needs some work and unfortunately I think the best way to fix it is to reroute some lines over rock. Some short parts just have too steep a gradient over a soft surface and adding rock to these sections isn't the best way to fix them I reckon. :( This is why I'm spending a bit of time planning, walking, flagging and then getting other opinions before i start cutting in a new line. It's slow, but at least over a bit of time I can see how different weather conditions affect my proposed lines.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the call last night that some WMBC guys were heading out today and wanted to cut in the Fall Line reroute I'd marked. We got about half way along and only roughing it in, but it's looking pretty good. A bit more trimming and raking, then we can focus on some of the harder parts and fine tuning a few sections.

The next maintenance day is on the 21st of April if anyone is keen to lend a hand. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll have the Fall Line reroute roughed in and rideable, with just a little fine tuning needed in the form of some vegetation trimming and line tidying. Having a few riders go over it will help pack the tread down before the Rock Wallaby enduro.

If that all goes to plan I think the best option is to work on the 'new' singletrack after Kings Falls Bridge to add a bit or rock armouring in there.

If we get enough people to have two teams it would be nice to have one or two people open up the line I nearly finished (but left closed on purpose) on the descent to RollyB (roll down into bridge). It would probably take one person half an hour or so and that includes blocking off the current line.

The last few times I've been out there the car park has been packed, so it would be nice to see a few more people helping with the maintenance.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
A suggestion

The last few times I've been out there the car park has been packed, so it would be nice to see a few more people helping with the maintenance.
Hey Crank. If anyone is like me they really want to help out, but not that keen on making a day of it (still planning on seeing you next week tho). When your car is there I'm riding around wondering where you are, and if you are scoping me out wolf creek style, lol. Anyway, I'm wondering if it would help if you had a little sign or something that pointed out the G-spot, I mean, where you are doing your thing. Then when I come around the trail I could come over and help for half an hour or an hour at a time. I know I wont have tools but at least I could help move some rocks, or I could pick up your tools for a bit and give you a breather. If even half a dozen riders chipped in half an hour you'd get an extra 3 person hours. Just a suggestion; it's your gig and not looking to tell you what to do. I never saw wolf creek by the way, sounded too scary.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Crank. If anyone is like me they really want to help out, but not that keen on making a day of it (still planning on seeing you next week tho). When your car is there I'm riding around wondering where you are, and if you are scoping me out wolf creek style, lol. Anyway, I'm wondering if it would help if you had a little sign or something that pointed out the G-spot, I mean, where you are doing your thing. Then when I come around the trail I could come over and help for half an hour or an hour at a time. I know I wont have tools but at least I could help move some rocks, or I could pick up your tools for a bit and give you a breather. If even half a dozen riders chipped in half an hour you'd get an extra 3 person hours. Just a suggestion; it's your gig and not looking to tell you what to do. I never saw wolf creek by the way, sounded too scary.
I haven't seen Wolf Creek either if that makes you feel better, for the same reason as you! ;)

Signs are something I'll be doing a little better in the future. I'm just waiting to get the cnc router at work so I can run some test pieces, in the form of arrows, caution signs, etc. One reason I don't put signs up when I'm working on a particular spot is I don't want riders to ride it before it's finished. Sometimes it's hard to finish a spot in one session and if people know exactly where it is and start riding it before it's done it might not work out how I'd planned it. What I have planned to do is make decent signs to go up in the carpark when I'm out there. I might locate an old whiteboard and leave that in the carpark to describe where I am and what I'm doing and maybe just make up a lightweight core-flute sign to put up at the location.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always happy to get ideas and advice from others, as long as they aren't offended if I don't follow it. :)

With the number of people that ride there, especially because it has a reputation of handling the wet weather and also because people don't check Mt Annan's status and when they find it closed they come to Appin; even if five different people volunteered their time one maintenance day a year we'd have heaps of people and get heaps done. :) I'm fortunate to be able to spend the time out there doing the work, and I enjoy it, but I understand not everyone can attend one Saturday a month every month, but one Saturday a year sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Appin reroute is rideable! There are 3 sections that we'll tidy up on Saturday because I didn't take a chainsaw today and the two big rocks I want to move are too big for me alone. It's a bit soft but should be good once ridden in.

BigRedJeep

Likes Bikes
I too have to apologise for not being able to help out with the track maintenance but with a new baby I can barely get the time to go for a ride. I must thank you and all your trail fairies for the huge effort you have been putting into the track and as you have said the number of cars in the carpark is just getting bigger and bigger as word spreads of how good this track is getting. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not everyone can make every maintenance day and that's completely understandable. I'd be happy if people were able to give up 1 ride a year to attend a maintenance session. Obviously not everyone on the same day, there are only so many tools to go around! :)

I just got back from a lap at Appin and think the track is in great condition. The new section rides well, if a little slow at the moment because it is soft. Once ridden in it'll be heaps faster. One or two corners need some vegetation trimmed off the inside to widen them a little but two bends that I was a little concerned about the radius of have worked out well.

The bad news is that someone had decided they didn't like me closing off the B line at the FixACloseBOpnC point (on the climb after RollyB where the track was split 3 ways with the A line going straight up the rock, B going around the rock and C going way around the rock). It had been reopened and the tape had even been retied to a different tree. I spent 5 minutes blocking it off again and tied the tape back to show the line is blocked. This might be a point we block off better this weekend.

For a bit of history about this point, the A line was the original line. I don't remember there being a B line until a tree came down and blocked the A line. At that time the B line and C line seemed to pop up very quickly. B was definitely faster and more challenging to ride than C. When I reopened the original A line, the B line then became a less challenging option while still being as quick as the A line. The C line is significantly easier but longer. First and foremost the Appin track is a club race track. A lines should be harder and faster than B lines. With this in mind there is no reason that I can think of to keep the B line open, just run with A and C. If you can't ride the A line up the rock, ride the C line around it. If you know of anyone who reopens the B line ask them to PM me or just explain to them why the line is closed and will keep getting closed off if reopened.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's on. 8am, Appin carpark tomorrow.

We are good to go for tomorrow people. The track really is too wet to ride I think, after checking it out today. If we get rain tonight you'll feel much better about yourself if you attend a track work session instead!

8am in the Appin carpark. :encouragement:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good day.

Good to see a few new faces today, especially with one parent bringing his young kids. It's never too young to indoctrinate them into the ideas of track building and maintenance!

Besides the ground being absolutely water logged, the reroute is done. We were able to move the rock I wanted moved to help shore up what should become a bit of a berm. We didn't move the log I wanted to move but instead used more rock, which is a better long term option. It all looks good, just very wet. It's blocked at the moment so don't ride it until the ground dries up a bit.

We also blocked off the FixAOpenBClosC section again with some much bigger pieces and put up two signs asking for the line to remain closed. Note to self: I need more cable ties!

The mid section of the descent to RollyB is terrible. I've got the reroute mostly done and just needing opening but it's not worth having it get in the same state as the current track with the soft, water logged ground just wearing because it isn't compacted. Because of this point, and because wilddemon and I got the other two spots done quickly, we finished a little earlier than planned.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
just a quick Q
since motor bikes, 4wds & all public have been banned from entering Appin how come you're allowed in to build mtb trails
as a member of the nsw4wda I've been told that there is no access to this entire area for any one