That gay marriage thing........

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I disagree, the worlds economic model is based on growth. The opposite of of what you suggest is more likely without it.

Hans Rosling has some interesting videos about population growth if anyone's interested.
I would say its actually based on private property and monetary exchange.

Growth in classical econonic terms is a by product of the 3 p's. Population, productivity, and workforce participation. The first has sustainable physical limits which we have already breached. The third has a hard limit. The second has doubled many thousands of times, and is what we should focus on.

For an interesting thought exercise think about how many people were directly involved in all the technological breakthroughs since WW2 we take for granted. Certainly not in the hundreds of millions. Thats not to say everyone else is worthless, just that our modern standard of living relies on a small proportion of the global population.

I'm not advocating for some Randian world ruled by ubermensch. But I'm pretty sure we could go back to a 1900 level of population (1.6 billion) and the human race would be a lot better off than it is now.

How we get there is the tricky part. If we manage global warming somehow, population control will be the next big challenge.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

The problem with the 'friendly christians who don't agree with gay marriage' thing, is that it should never have been any of their business.

But religious politicians like Tony Abbot and Kevin Andrews, as well as religious-focused lobby groups like Coalition for Marriage, created and then sold the whole postal vote process to their flock as something that they were entitled to have influence over.

Non-religious people aren't given the opportunity to vote on whether Churches should enjoy tax free status, or whether religious studies have any place in public schools. And these are issues that actually affect everybody.

Gay people have suffered generations of poor treatment and discrimination, and this process has given them a lot more opportunity to be heard.

To those on the 'no' side who were surprised and annoyed about being called bigots, a large part of this is a result of a lot of pent up anger and hurt from people who've been silent for a long time.

They had every right to be direct and confront people who felt they somehow held a moral high ground that should enable them to determine the rights of someone else.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I find some Christians to very 2 faced from my experiences. When I was a kid a friend fell pregnant at 16, her father was training to become some sort of Pastor and because she was an embarrassment they just threw her out into the street. Not many from the church that she went to for many years even acknowledged her after that. Yet they go help homeless on the streets with drug problems and even took some into their home.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I find some Christians to very 2 faced from my experiences. When I was a kid a friend fell pregnant at 16, her father was training to become some sort of Pastor and because she was an embarrassment they just threw her out into the street. Not many from the church that she went to for many years even acknowledged her after that. Yet they go help homeless on the streets with drug problems and even took some into their home.
What would Jesus do...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its good in the fact that the LGBTI crew get to lose half their house and half their pension when the marriage goes through the ringer... same as the rest of us.

^^^ They probably did anyway but now its cut and dry to prove a relationship.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
K' oath !

A lot of them are Good living, for a living. The most fake, money hungry, big farce 'shit dont stick' exterior ever. Embarrassed by things that happen that makes them look bad in the eyes of the church, cutting off family for pregnancy before marriage or a child 'coming out' as something other than straight.

I have a good friend who's sister has been ostracized by her mother and they have not spoke for 5 years because she 'came out' to her family. So bad that the mother refused to go to the other daughters wedding if she brought her partner. Pretty sad...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's only fair to be kicking all abrahamic religions up the arse on this issue not just the Christians. The jews and Muslims are even less tolerant. Is it not ok to call them out as bigots? Or because they make up fk all of the population we just ignore their backwardness.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
K' oath !

A lot of them are Good living, for a living. The most fake, money hungry, big farce 'shit dont stick' exterior ever.
Funny you say that because they did rip my brother off with a business deal not once but twice. They had two failed goes at rebuilding a mild performance engine and blamed everyone else but themselves, my Bro paid for both rebuilds. The motor then went to another mechanic, they found out that the cranks were machined oval in the first place and no money was refunded.

I think it's only fair to be kicking all abrahamic religions up the arse on this issue not just the Christians. The jews and Muslims are even less tolerant. Is it not ok to call them out as bigots? Or because they make up fk all of the population we just ignore their backwardness.

I didn't mean to generalise but that really shocked me at that age. Not matter what your kid does you should always try to help them to become a better person not make them more vulnerable at a young age to other grubs.

moorey

call me Mia
Funny you say that because they did rip my brother off with a business deal not once but twice. They had two failed goes at rebuilding a mild performance engine and blamed everyone else but themselves, my Bro paid for both rebuilds. The motor then went to another mechanic, they found out that the cranks were machined oval in the first place and no money was refunded.

I didn't mean to genteralise but that really shocked me at that age. Not matter what your kid does you should always try to help them to become a better person not make them more vulnerable at a young age to other grubs.
Well, that's a relief.