That gay marriage thing........

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sure are a lot of brown people that are Christian, I'd say.
Yep again, but when you have an opinion of a fellow white, its maybe bigotry... maybe when it suits.

Change the skin colour and all hell flies loose regardless of the beliefs.

I came from a country where white Prods and white Catholics wanted to kill each other, until recently they were not concerned about the black man or the Polish bloke who moved in down the street.

Up until then they were either Loyalists and Republicans... which was just the way it was in Northern Ireland, bring the Polish bloke or Romanian bloke into it, its a racial attack.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I've struggled with this, I am trying to have respect for the no side but I have a problem I can't get over:

If you don't like gay marriage, that's cool, you don't have to like it and no one will force you to do it.

But why would you stop other people from doing it? That actually seems like a real prick of a thing to do, forcing other people to live by your own likes and dislikes.

Isn't that almost the definition of bigotry?

I am not sure that it’s about forcing people to your own views ( well excepting dozers example).

There’s not that much thought , it’s about as deep as marriage is a man and woman thing. That’s all, not thinking about rights, what Dog wants.

Of more interest is that tony abbot is going to vote yes , I mean what the!

Funny thing on Thursday, I had dinner with a colleague who is a single gay male who was really happy about the result and at the same time a friend in a lesbian partnership with kids who was completely uncaring about the whole question. Clearly not feeling the need to get married.

The interesting part though, was that Steve was really negative about the plebiscite protest in the beginning and now it’s over and watching the aftermath, he has a respect for the process and thinks it will reset people’s attitudes because the process has been so public .

Tony Abbott being an example of how the zeitgeist can spread

Beej1

Of more interest is that tony abbot is going to vote yes , I mean what the!
Didn't he say "he's going to be a part of facilitating same sex marriage"

I.e. he's both respecting the wishes of 3/4 of his constituency (in case he wants to stay in politics), and using it as a means to push his religious agenda: Yes, you can have your same sex marriage but by God the church should be able to say fuck off, as should the baker, and by God you can't be brainwasging our kids that it's OK to be gay or accepting of gay people.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep again, but when you have an opinion of a fellow white, its maybe bigotry... maybe when it suits.

Change the skin colour and all hell flies loose regardless of the beliefs.

I came from a country where white Prods and white Catholics wanted to kill each other, until recently they were not concerned about the black man or the Polish bloke who moved in down the street.

Up until then they were either Loyalists and Republicans... which was just the way it was in Northern Ireland, bring the Polish bloke or Romanian bloke into it, its a racial attack.
You sound a little like my FIL on Facebook yesterday.
View attachment 341430

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Didn't he say "he's going to be a part of facilitating same sex marriage"
e.
Yeah, that’s about as ringing an endorsement you could expect from someone whose side just lost.

His sister seems to think he’ll abstain, but I can’t imagine parliament letting a new bill with a heap of changes getting up. Give eme few hours to debate, then force a vote on the existing one.

If he was to vote for it, he wouldn’t be the first to advertise hypocrisy in parliament and not voting with their conscience, eg Penny Wong voting for the changes to the marriage act courtesy of John Howard

moorey

call me Mia
I lived/worked in Belfast for about 4 months in late 90's. I don't recall seeing one brown person. I then spent some time in London, where there were a lot of brown people (predominantly Pakistani), who were abused and vilified for nothing other than colour. Religion wasn't a factor.
My point? Nothing. Just an observation.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How was this not a bigger issue when John Howard made those changes?
A reflection of the community views. Politicians extremely rarely lead, mostly they just follow the votes.

It was done to stop the courts changing things was my feeling at the time

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
White privilege - most overused term of 2017?

Used to be a description of self and has become a term of derision/insult

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
What about - Technological advancement = sustainable practices and ability to sustain curent growth trends?
Nope. I really feel uncomfortable about this. It's a nice fantasy, but doesn't address the root causes of our societal and environmental issues.
Looking for technology to help us is really a bit of a cop out, and ultimately a search for a justification to continue living our self-centred ways.
In all of this talk about sustainability etc, the concept of behaviour change isn't seriously discussed. Not in regards to recycling (which in practice is quite inefficient) or driving electric cars etc. I'm talking about serious attitude change, like altering our entitlements towards say, the ease of jumping on a plane for the holidays, or having hot water 24/7, or eating quinoa grown internationally. These things are deceptively not 'normal' and actually come at a great cost.
The thought of us having to actually make real sacrifice is too confronting for all but the most radical neo-peasants out there.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Good point pineapple actually applies to gays so sort of on topic.
I think capitalism and advertising in particular tries to make us feel entitled to convenience at the expense of all else,hence when we dont get it= first world problems.
White heterosexual males complain when threatened by anyone different eg gays, women ,non Christians ,coloured skin .
We are really a primitive brain in a 21 st century environment of growth is good, immigration and gays buy our inner city houses and make us money and money is god. I believe immigration is supporting low wages growth so white capitalists should be happy but some are racists.
We cant have it both ways but we try.