The Born Again Wagon Wheeler

michaeldorian

Cannon Fodder
If I was going to have one bike for everything it might be the SJ Evo. The value is pretty incredible! And it appears to be a strong and durable chassis/build. But Spech is the worst!! Hate. Still tho, might be the one.
Totally. But love that they got rid of all the proprietary BS. And also made the linkage way more progressive! They are listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll chime in with my 2c, for the 4-5 Maydena trips you plan on making per year, i'd say hiring a proper big bike would be the go.
You face being over-gunned for 90% of your riding or under-gunned at Maydena, you won't get both.

The modern 140mm trail bike range is so good now that it's a very viable option for almost all riding, from what I hear, Maydena is the exception.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Actually the spec is pretty good other than the brakes and cockpit. The fork on the red model is a revaluation, but it’s the same chassis and air spring as the pike, and it doesn’t have the pos moco damper. It’s has a new “cartridge style self bleed charger” damper. Sound familiar? Good cuz it’s an exact copy of the grip damper, which is a copy of the illustrious avalanche damper. No it doesn’t have a mid valve or hydraulic bottom out, but it should be quite good. The bike is also specs with nice bits like the super light xo1 Eagle cassette, shifter style dropper lever, fabric saddle, etc.

I negotiated a preorder from a shop I’ve never bought from. I got it for $3280 our the door. Not bad for a carbon bike with xo1 Eagle. I’ll put on a nice stem and bar and some better brakes (maybe mt5s?). Maybe get a 140mm debonair shaft for $35. Also want to experiment with a 27.5 wheel out back for a snappy, fun ride style.
So a new pre-order bike with a sticker price of $6k.......and they knocked $2700 off the price ??
Which shop?? Where?? Phone number please??!

Also check out the 2019 Stumpjumper Evo. Can be had for cheap and you’ll have a bunch of money left over to upgrade and dial it in. The geometry is super dialed. Basically like a shorter travel SB150. Doesn’t feel as slack as the numbers claim. Somehow it works. Shorter travel keeps it playful but enough travel to hammer it. Also has a more progressive link. Oh and that raw brushed aluminum looks killer.

You can run it at 160mm front with a tad more sag for a more plush front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had a good look at the Stumpy EVO. It looks like a bloody wicked bike. Would be a beast going downhill.
But, as I have pointed out, I am 6'3" and I have long legs and a decent ape index (knuckle dragger). The biggest EVO has 475mm of reach.
I'm sorry to keep banging on about one particular geo number - I know that one number does not make or brake the whole bike - but reach is the one thing I battled with all the time on my previous bike. It's all about the standing attack position. My bike had such a tiny "sweet spot" when it was leaned over railing a berm. I went thru many different bar/stem combos to try to get a compromise in that standing position.
....mind you, all of this is difficult when I can't demo any of these frames!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'll chime in with my 2c, for the 4-5 Maydena trips you plan on making per year, i'd say hiring a proper big bike would be the go.
You face being over-gunned for 90% of your riding or under-gunned at Maydena, you won't get both.

The modern 140mm trail bike range is so good now that it's a very viable option for almost all riding, from what I hear, Maydena is the exception.
Yeah, I've thought about this. I'm happy to hire once or twice, but it's going to add up over the long term. And I don't think my collective membership gets me any discount on bike hire :(
I'm definitely no Semenuk either.....so for me I just need an aggressive trail or mellow enduro bike and I'd be happy with that at Maydena
....at least for this Summer anyway.

(The n+1 thing will happen in the future.....no question).

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Out of curiosity, what measurement do you have between handlebar center, to seat rails center (at extension)?
I am selling my Slash frame (spare chainstay, two shocks, cockpit included, etc.), and although it's a 19.5", the actual seat tube angle is quite slack (even if the effective isn't), so the cockpit does open out a bit more at seatpost extension and it's a fairly large, large bike.
I don't have anything to measure. (Sold my bike two months ago).
Unless there's something I don't know, it's the standing reach I'm focussed on. The seated reach is far less important to me (within reason)
I have read that the Slash is a "big" bike .....but no idea what the standing reach would feel like?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm gonna catch-up with the local Norco dealer today or tomorrow just to check out the details on the 2019 bikes (although I don't think the frames have changed). They also happen to be an Orbea dealer too....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm gonna catch-up with the local Norco dealer today or tomorrow just to check out the details on the 2019 bikes (although I don't think the frames have changed). They also happen to be an Orbea dealer too....
Check this out http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2017/11/norco-range-c7-c9-2017.html?m=1. I've been really impressed with Norco's efforst to get their sizing and gemetry right. The fact that they change the suspension linkage with the size of the frame says a lot. And the analysis in the link shows it has paid off. Those are very very impressive numbers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That mega 290 factory is pretty rad! I love to see good suspension and above average wheels on an alloy frame for cheap. Those 450mm chain stays should be great for the XL crowd! But I’d need more gearing than 11-42 to climb a 35 lbs bike.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So no Kona love so far?
I'm riding a Kona Satori and have found it to be an unreal bike. (XL has 510mm reach)
Most people on here won't/don't like the radical seat tube angle, but it is great for my local riding which is generally steep up or down.

The new Processes are absolutely awesome bikes too, but don't know how much fun they would be as your daily driver - particularly on rides with considerable pedaling. They are a big and heavy bike!

I also think the Nukeproof looks pretty sweet!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Haha. Well said sir.
I had an absolute ball on my Trance (when I wasn't going OTB)... but my avoidance this time is more about trying a new flavour. I'm the same with beer, rarely buy the same one twice.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

People are funny that way, we’ll buy new booze all the time but don’t you dare change that brand of peanut butter you fuck hahaha.

I can see you gettin a 29” sight. It’s gonna happen. The local shop has them, they take extra effort to size bikes properly (short stays suck for anything other than play riding. There, I said it).

I want you to buy a tranny, because transition are awesome, and you like beer, and Trannies and beer go hand in hand. But its an expensive route, you will get a much better bike going norco/scott for the money. I only really reccomend trannies when people are doin a frame swap. Same with any boutique brand really, just too exxy for what you get