The Born Again Wagon Wheeler

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'll chime in with my 2c, for the 4-5 Maydena trips you plan on making per year, i'd say hiring a proper big bike would be the go.
You face being over-gunned for 90% of your riding or under-gunned at Maydena, you won't get both.

The modern 140mm trail bike range is so good now that it's a very viable option for almost all riding, from what I hear, Maydena is the exception.
I agree 100% with this. I've ridden Maydena on my Primer XL, which is a modern trail 29er 140 fork/ 130 shock. Everywhere else in Tassie it's an awesome ride, but if you wanna ride the serious stuff at Maydena (double black and up) it's not enough. I'm hoping the Spitty I picked up will do the trick!

The other consideration with Maydena for hiring a bike is track conditions. Riding it 4-5 times a year you are bound to cop some wet sessions, and frankly when it's wet up there your bike gets absolutely trashed.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
@Ultra Lord but Trannies have short chainstays!
I know what I am.

Longer stays mean better traction, easier climbing, extra stability, and a more forgiving ride through the rough as your not standing on the rear axle.

BUT I like jumping, wheelies and pulling sick skids so short is better for me atm. My scouts a big slopey, and I like that. Just means I need a solid warmup and stretch regime before I ride hahaha, them bumps can hurt.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
So I recently have been going through the same proccess.
Preferably alloy 29er enduroish
I shortlisted pole EVO 140, Tansition Sentinel and Banshee Prime.
Ended up with another Banshee.
Not yet completed as still waiting on some parts this week hoping to report on it next week.
The price on the Banshee Frame was well under the Pole or the Transiton.
The Poles that people got through LinkSports were definitely an awesome deal compared to buying direct.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the Transition theme, there's a bunch of cheap Transition frames over on Merlin's site. No idea on sizing, just noticed them the other day when browsing around

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
On the Transition theme, there's a bunch of cheap Transition frames over on Merlin's site. No idea on sizing, just noticed them the other day when browsing around
Ohhh that 2018 Scout pricing has me aching to spend $.

Worth noting for others there was a pretty significant geo change in 2018 for Transition. They are shorter on earlier year frames.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So just came back from two local LBS.

Norco/Orbea dealer:
2019 Norco frames are slightly tweaked from last year, but nothing major. The reach on the XL Range has actually got slightly shorter which I think is simply a result of reducing the HA by 0.5 to 65.
As usual there wasn't an XL in the whole shop (of any model). I sat on a large Range and a large Sight.
They are going to try & get a mates' XL Range in for a day, so I can ride it up & down the street at least.

Orbea Rallon - probably not really on my list but I asked anyway. Cheapest model RRP is $7000, but they said they could do $6300. The geo numbers are pretty good methinks.

Santa Cruz/Rocky/Cannondale shop
He was raving about the Jekyll 29. Just got back from the US launch. In the metal it's a sensational looking bike. Rear shock semi-lockout lever helps with climbing.
RM Instinct - the new model in the line-up this year is an alloy BC edition. 155/160mm travel 29er for less $$$ (still $6k though!)
He said I could take the size large Instinct for a demo ride any time.....I might.....but seems a bit pointless...

Anyway, none of this really helps me get the decision made.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hifi might be happy with a map, I’d rather some photos. With the new rig in frame.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You chaps are a lot more fun than the mtbr squids. I was so confused.
That’s cool. You had a few people over here foaming at the mouth for a sweet deal.

Shame it would probably get close to buying locally once conversion to A$, transport and local taxes are added as you got a decent discount on that thing.

So just came back from two local LBS.

Norco/Orbea dealer:
2019 Norco frames are slightly tweaked from last year, but nothing major. The reach on the XL Range has actually got slightly shorter which I think is simply a result of reducing the HA by 0.5 to 65.
As usual there wasn't an XL in the whole shop (of any model). I sat on a large Range and a large Sight.
They are going to try & get a mates' XL Range in for a day, so I can ride it up & down the street at least.

Orbea Rallon - probably not really on my list but I asked anyway. Cheapest model RRP is $7000, but they said they could do $6300. The geo numbers are pretty good methinks.

Santa Cruz/Rocky/Cannondale shop
He was raving about the Jekyll 29. Just got back from the US launch. In the metal it's a sensational looking bike. Rear shock semi-lockout lever helps with climbing.
RM Instinct - the new model in the line-up this year is an alloy BC edition. 155/160mm travel 29er for less $$$ (still $6k though!)
He said I could take the size large Instinct for a demo ride any time.....I might.....but seems a bit pointless...

Anyway, none of this really helps me get the decision made.
I am same size and also trying to chose a bike with no XLs to demo. What do you think of new Marin Alpine Trail? Reach is 490 and stack is 642.

https://www.marinbikes.com/au/bikes/2019-mountain-full-suspension-enduro-29-alpine-trail-8

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am following this with great interest as I am looking for a similar bike. I have a Canfield Nimble 9 HT that I love and am looking for similar geo numbers with a slacker head angle.

So far the GT sensor looks good, but I think I would prefer more travel up front. Does anyone know if the GT can run a 140 0r 150mm fork?

I’m a yankee using the tapatalk app. I didn’t realize this was a rotorburn thread until someone mentioned the AUD price. You chaps are a lot more fun than the mtbr squids. I was so confused.
Glad you are here, how does the new sensor ride?

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I've been riding my 2018 Scott Genius 920 for about a year now. Absolutely love it. Currently running it with 29 x 2.5's but have run 29 x 2.6, 29 x 2.3 and 27.5 x 2.6. If you can look past the mess in the cockpit twinlock works nicely too. It has been the best all rounder that I've owned. If you have any questions feel free, I'm probably able to answer it.

I should clarify also, not sure what the forum rules are but I do work at a shop that stocks Scott (as well as lots of other brands), but all views are entirely my own and nothing to do with my work.

I've been riding my 2018 Scott Genius 920 for about a year now. Absolutely love it. Currently running it with 29 x 2.5's but have run 29 x 2.6, 29 x 2.3 and 27.5 x 2.6. If you can look past the mess in the cockpit twinlock works nicely too. It has been the best all rounder that I've owned. If you have any questions feel free, I'm probably able to answer it.

I should clarify also, not sure what the forum rules are but I do work at a shop that stocks Scott (as well as lots of other brands), but all views are entirely my own and nothing to do with my work.
I'd be keen to know how you find the bar height. The stack number is low compare to some other bikes and one reviewer called it out since they were 6'3". This is especially important for taller riders such as myself. I've taken the Genius off my shortlist for this reason only. otherwise really suits my riding and size.

I am following this with great interest as I am looking for a similar bike. I have a Canfield Nimble 9 HT that I love and am looking for similar geo numbers with a slacker head angle.

So far the GT sensor looks good, but I think I would prefer more travel up front. Does anyone know if the GT can run a 140 0r 150mm fork?

Glad you are here, how does the new sensor ride?
The GT is another bike I took off my shortlist due to low stack. Am I misunderstanding the importance of the stack height. I've only tested a Stumpjumper and loved the high frontend but it was too short in the reach.