The Chilli Thread!

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a farkin dude that i am guessing 3-4 years ago had a bumper crop and sent out a few small jars of his home grown stuff to a few of us. I was 1 of the lucky receivers. He was in the Northern Rivers of NSW (lismore area) from memory. I still have a little bit left of his hot generosity. A fantastic flavour as well as the instant sweat that a good chilli delivers.... Whoever he was/is - thanks again.:flame:
I've been sparingly using that sauce since I got it... Delicious! Makes tabasco look like milk!

Thanks again CustomJimmy!:clap2::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk:

indica

Serial flasher
For commercial sauces, these guys do alright Byron Bay Chilli, my local supermarket stocks the Habanero sauce.

My seeds arrived today - Orange Habanero and Naga Morich

that is the Naga... no longer the hottest but will be interesting anyway.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Fark i love chilli, I will consume anything with hilli, from ice cream to pastas, im addicted!

I've been growing them (Jalapeno, Habanero,Scotch Bonnets) for the last few years, making batches of home-made Tabasco style sauce as well as using it in jams and preserves. However, recently I got back from a trip to Sumatra (Indonesia) and I was chatting to a chef about his chilli sauce, which was damn hot but has a really strong robust chilli flavour. Really basic recipe, no brewing needed because it gathers flavour during normal fridge storage.
So basically, you get a few handfuls of chilli, whatever variety depending on the size of yer balls, and remove the stalks. Throw them all in a blender or food processor along with enough oil (grape seed is best as it doesn't go rancid like other oils and can be heated to very high temps without burning) to cover them. Throw in some salt (to taste and also to preserve) and some cracked pepper and blend (with seeds is best) until a kinda smooth/course texture is reached. Place in sterile jars and keep in the fridge. Keeps for ages; will develop flavour as you use it; really good for frying meat in..

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
*edit* I just read the above post saying the same thing sort of. D'oh!

A tasty thing to do is grab a bunch of super hot chillis (i have only done it with Mums and Birds eyes which work fine) and just smash them once to bruise em up and pack em into a jar and cover with olive oil.

after a few days use the oil to cook with or for dressings.

I used to drizzle the oil on just about everything and you'd be surprised how much heat gets carried into the oil.

The best part is that is has that real fresh capsicum'ish fresh chilli smell and taste which is great because I love the actual flavour of chilli as well and this is a great way to get heaps of that flavour.

When the jar gets low just top it up again.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
The local mexican place says the best way to kill the burn is with warm water, salt and lime. Tried it once after some hot sauce, worked well.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Spare any seeds for the Scotch Bonnets?

I'll throw some Nagas your way .. when they grow..

Oh shit Nagas, im a bit scared of those ones! I will send you some for free, also when they seed. I have been having bumper crops actually (good combo of position and soil, plus moderate watering), so I will no doubt have plenty to spare.

You can keep those seeds!!!:fatigue:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I will send you some... then you will have to plant them out of curiosity... then you will have to try them.
Haha ok then, i'll trade you then! Fire in the hole!

I had an interesting experience involving chilli last night. On my way home from the pub, stopped by the local pizzeria and ordered my favourite margarita. Typically, I always put extra chilli on it till the point of 'pretty darn hot'. Last night however, now matter how much chilli went on, it just wasn't hot! Can I conclude that im building-up a tolerance to chilli? Anyone else have this experience?

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I usually use my home-made chilli sauce, but the other night it was chilli flakes.. they were hot apparently, but I got no heat!

Today I opened a bottle of home-made Tabasco style chilli sauce and im pleased to say it blew my flippin head off! So although perhaps i have built-up a tolerance, im still feelin' the heat!

indica

Serial flasher
I usually use my home-made chilli sauce, but the other night it was chilli flakes.. they were hot apparently, but I got no heat!

Today I opened a bottle of home-made Tabasco style chilli sauce and im pleased to say it blew my flippin head off! So although perhaps i have built-up a tolerance, im still feelin' the heat!
It's the flakes... pussy chillies those, dunno what particular ones they are but they are for little kids and old women. I use dried chiilies at home as a back up and need 4 or 5 before I can taste it.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
It's the flakes... pussy chillies those, dunno what particular ones they are but they are for little kids and old women. I use dried chiilies at home as a back up and need 4 or 5 before I can taste it.
Yep, they definitely are for the heat-challenged haha!

Well with the warmer weather approaching, I cultivated my garden beds today and also picked-up a bunch of well-established habanero and jalapeno seedlings; they are about 10cm in height with very healthy foliage. I will be planting tomorrow with the rain forecast in mind, so hopefully with some sun on the weekend, and some chicken shit, they will be flying!

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Fun with chilli.

Years ago we were all sitting round the table in the kitchen, drinking fresh coffee, smoking bongs and doing all that groovy stuff you do when you live in a house full of unemployable degenerates. Someone came up with the idea we should try eating a fresh Birds Eye chilli each. Being young males it became a bit of a test of manhood, so we all grabbed one and started chewing. Nothing really happened for a while and then the heat began to build. I went to a strange place inside my head, disassociated from the pain in my mouth and with a ringing in my ears like I'd just inhaled a massive lungful of nitrous oxide. It was like some weird, painful hallucinogenic trip for quite some time. When I could focus again everyone looked to be in a similar state. Much cucumber was sliced and eaten after that.
Fast forward 3 or 4 years and and I'm at the Harbourview Hotel in the Rocks having Friday arvo' beers with my courier mates. As my girl and I were saying our goodbyes, one mate picked up a potted chilli plant (a spindly looking little Birds Eye with only two fruit on it) and said, "Here Bjorn, eat this." My slightly beer addled brain did a quick assessment of the situation and I decided I probably had a few minutes grace to get out the door, so I could eat it, smile, look like a hero and leave in triumph. I took the plunge and chewed it up expecting that a spindly little plant, just hanging on in a pot on a pub roof couldn't possibly produce the kind of heat that the well nourished products of an elderly Greek gardener had generated. I said my goodbyes and smiled saying, "They're very nice, you should try one." Then we left; before I even made it down the stairs I could feel the fire begin to burn. As we unlocked our bikes I said to my girl, "You'd better go in front, 'cos pretty soon I wont be able to see." We started riding south towards Central and then the world disappeared in a welter of tears, sweat and snot. Trying to ride a bike in that state is quite a challenge, but I concentrated on following her wheel like it was a golden thread through the aether, tying my soul to my body. After a lifetime of mouth and sinus pain we made it to the station and I bought the largest flavoured milk I could find and necked it as though I were Steve Jobs and it was the cure for cancer. I drank all my water almost as soon as we got on the train and was still in pain as we climbed the hill from the station to our house an hour later.

There is no real moral to this story, except I guess that male ego will make you do dumb stuff.

indica

Serial flasher
Thank you, that would be so very cool, but I wont eat it raw as I figure it would probably make me soil myself.
I'll PM you an address.
As it has only just sprouted I am sure it will be a while, but I'll post progress pictures when it grows a bit...