The Chilli Thread!

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Bhut vs Trinidad Scorpion

I haven't tried the 'Butch T' but have tried a few scorpion chillis, lots of bhuts and many others over the years. The scorpion and bhut are pretty closely related and there really isn't much difference in taste. To start with you are better off comparing either of these with the standard orange habanero (which has a very fruity flavour) and go from there.

indica

Serial flasher
There really does seem to be a point where the burn becomes overwhelming. My fav so far is the orange Habanero, and I have the pleasure of having mine still fruiting and shooting. More flowers are growing which is great. Should make for a bumber summer crop.
I have also bought some Serrano seeds and have them in to sprout now.

indica

Serial flasher
Indica,

Got the Nagas and will plant them soon.

How are the Scotch Bonnets working out for you?
Sweet, Scotch are up, and out in the weather, will be planted in a week or two.

I found this, Ill be purchasing a few types and see how they go
http://www.chilliseedbank.com.au/
http://www.4seasonsseeds.com.au/epages/4seasons.sf is much cheaper for the not so weird varieties.
I have several Serranos and Goats Horns from them that sprouted really fast.

My Nagas from last season are still cropping, and the Habanero is coming on again. Hopefully some more Habs sprout soo.

indica

Serial flasher
Nice early crop coming on.
Habs

Nagas - heaps of green ones on there.

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
My hab managed to just hold on over winter. Pruned it back about 6 weeks ago, gave it some fertiliser and crossed my fingers. Has been flowering like buggery and saw the first chilli popping out over the weekend.

Bring on some hotter weather!

indica

Serial flasher
Eating 2 Habaneros a day, they are without a doubt my favourite. I have a Bulgarian Hot Arse Carrot flowering, as well as Scoth Bonnet. My Goat's Horn is fruiting, Serranos everywhere and so many Nagas I don't know what to do with them.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Morouga, Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia.
Can't wait until they fruit. Once they are harvested free seeds to anyone keen to try some.

I had them out the front until the other day there was a 'Knock Knock' at the front door.
I open it to find a kid with a low slung backpack and a skateboard slung under his arm.

Me - "Hey mate. What's up"? (Dude was shaking in his shoes)
Kid - "Um, sorry to bother you... But.... Do you deal pot"?
Me - "No, why"?
Kid points at the seedlings
Me - "Oh right, theyr'e just chillies dude. You can have one if you want to try smoking that"?
Kid - "Oh... Nah, it's OK. Are you sure they're not pot"?
Me - "Yeah. But hey, if I did sell pot I'd give you a freebie just for having the balls to knock on the door"
Kid walks off a bit disappointed haha.

indica

Serial flasher
Crazy man. My two Naga bushes provide more fruit than I know what to do with. 10 ripe ones a day and has been for several weeks now.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Just catching this thread. I had habs once, really do not like the flavour, find them insipid. We grow the Thai birds eye variety, they are ample hot enough, and sometimes i scrape the seeds into the compost. Every time those seeds find their way from the compost into the garden bed I get more chilli plants! (Same happens with heirloom tomatoes).

Would like to grow some long chillies for a change, and maybe some jalapeño as we eat the pickled ones like they are going out of fashion. But while I have self propogating plants and limited garden beds I'll just keep eating these.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Crazy man. My two Naga bushes provide more fruit than I know what to do with. 10 ripe ones a day and has been for several weeks now.
Yeah, I sewed a whole bunch of seeds because I was advised that it was about a 1 in 5 success rate for germination, and then the culling of the crappy ones. But so far it has been a 100% germination success rate.

Might have to have to go to the farmers market when they are a bit bigger and get rid of a few, maybe give some to some friends as shitty birthday presents haha.

How big do they grow when they are full size mature plants?
I have (at Mums) a chilli plant that is about a metre high and has been that size for about three years.
I am hoping they don't get much bigger than that.

indica

Serial flasher
Just catching this thread. I had habs once, really do not like the flavour, find them insipid. .
Which is funny, as I find the orange Habanero chilli to have the best flavour in a chilli I have ever tasted.

Get some Cayennes, they are around the Bird's Eye in heat and a lot longer. If you like the Jalapeno but want it a bot warmer, try Serrano, same size, heaps of fruit and hotter - but not killer....

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
hmm

Might have to have to go to the farmers market when they are a bit bigger and get rid of a few, maybe give some to some friends as shitty birthday presents haha.

Howdy sir, I/we have stopped growing for 2 years, and now having used up all our dried,cultivated product have decided to 'get back into Chilli growing'

So if and excess good quality seeds are avail i am a very willing recipient....

Hope all is well in your world Mike.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which is funny, as I find the orange Habanero chilli to have the best flavour in a chilli I have ever tasted.

Get some Cayennes, they are around the Bird's Eye in heat and a lot longer. If you like the Jalapeno but want it a bot warmer, try Serrano, same size, heaps of fruit and hotter - but not killer....
I agree, habanero's are the best, Try the habanero mexican sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
morouga, naga morich, trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia.
Can't wait until they fruit. Once they are harvested free seeds to anyone keen to try some.

I had them out the front until the other day there was a 'knock knock' at the front door.
I open it to find a kid with a low slung backpack and a skateboard slung under his arm.

Me - "hey mate. What's up"? (dude was shaking in his shoes)
kid - "um, sorry to bother you... But.... Do you deal pot"?
Me - "no, why"?
Kid points at the seedlings
me - "oh right, theyr'e just chillies dude. You can have one if you want to try smoking that"?
Kid - "oh... Nah, it's ok. Are you sure they're not pot"?
Me - "yeah. But hey, if i did sell pot i'd give you a freebie just for having the balls to knock on the door"
kid walks off a bit disappointed haha.

hahahahaha that's funny, ballsy little shit lol