The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They were actually refugees who claimed asylum at the first country they arrived at. Not 457s and not picky refugees. How was the commute to work, more crowded by the day?
Actually yes. My recently privatised bus network is a fucking shambles. And yes every single person on that bus appeared to have descended from a foreign land.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Comes from an immigrant family, attacks immigrants.

If I had a pic I'd make a meme.
I could have sworn you labelled me a bogan before revealing my background...

You really think the crushing population load is a real non-issue in the election? It's laughable.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Out population is tiny. Population growth in Australia (supported by immigration) presents an opportunity for investment growth, jobs growth, and cultural evolution. I think it should he embraced rather than used as such a divisive and victimising issue. Most (not all) of the population fear propaganda I have read is thinly veiled racism.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I think the broader issue is the 'on the ground impact'. Trains are fuller, traffic is slower, schools are at capacity, healthcare is being crushed. The racists get all the media air time, but for most it's simply a numbers game.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Well it depends on the demographics doesn't it?

Our currently rapidly ageing population aren't having enough kids. Japan for example doesn't have much immigration and a shitload of old people - it's not looking great over there from that perspective.

Obviously it would be nice for everybody for Australia's head count to remain static, but with world population growth this is simply unrealistic.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think the broader issue is the 'on the ground impact'. Trains are fuller, traffic is slower, schools are at capacity, healthcare is being crushed. The racists get all the media air time, but for most it's simply a numbers game.
All a result of stunted investment from governments and business as our economy is driven by a conservative fiscal policy...you also realise that there are plenty of countries out there with much bigger populations and much less inhabitable land space than here right? The population growth fear agenda is pushed heavily by the anglosphere protectionists, terrified that white people and their interests may not always be the majority.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Its a bit ironic. My mother was an immigrant but I agree with Calvin. Non-stop population growth is not sustainable. Australia, and every country for that matter, should have conversations about what is a reasonable popoulation and how we get there. Immigration is part of that mix but so are child care policies, supporting working parents etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Don't blame migrants, blame this government for a piss poor effort in infrastructure development. Some of the things I'm seeing here are just laughable, like one of the biggest suburbs in Brisbane has no police station and there's a lack of public transport in the area also. The new shift to compact living causes more public stress than what it's ever worth, I see constant posts on social media about noisy neighbours with dogs barking or parties with loud music.

John U

MTB Precision
Estimates in the past have suggested that the sustainable population level of the planet is 6 billion. Who knows. A lot of indicators are pointing to the earth having too many humans. While the average life expectancy of humans has gone up, the majority of all other life forms has gone down.
There are some big problems coming our way.

scblack

Leucocholic
Estimates in the past have suggested that the sustainable population level of the planet is 6 billion. Who knows. A lot of indicators are pointing to the earth having too many humans. While the average life expectancy of humans has gone up, the majority of all other life forms has gone down.
There are some big problems coming our way.
But estimates are only as good as their data, their assumptions, their modelling and untold other factors.

Also technology changes, making better efficiency with present resources.

Any estimate is only an educated guess at a moving target.

John U

MTB Precision
But estimates are only as good as their data, their assumptions, their modelling and untold other factors.

Any estimate is only an educated guess at a moving target.
I agree with you estimates comment. I think we have too much confidence in our ability to solve any problem though. I also believe that we have virtually no chance of controlling our population in any reasonable manner.
I’d also add, that while being the most dominant life form on the planet at the moment we are also at our most wasteful at this point. Probably by a fair margin against any time in our history.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The population growth fear agenda is pushed heavily by the anglosphere protectionists, terrified that white people and their interests may not always be the majority.
That is a pretty broad generalization. It's like you can't talk about immigration rates without being accused of racism.

Yep Agree. But it would be foolish to commit to the growth trajectory when we don't actually know if technology can fix the problem. What if it doesn't?

Don't blame migrants, blame this government for a piss poor effort in infrastructure development.
There are two development models. One is the Chinese way where you build it and they will come. We laugh at their ghost cities but i'm not really sure why sometimes. The alternative is the Indian model where you cram as much into existing infrastructure as possible. We seem to be doing the latter.

The real problem at the moment is the horse has bolted. If we had an honest conversation two decades ago about growth and actually planned for it,it might have been manageable. However, right now, we are majorly behind. House prices are astronomical which hurts retail and thus tax tax, everyone is geared to the eyeballs and this affects the domestic consumption. There have been practically no new developments of commerce centres anywhere which means growth is concentrated in Syd/Melb and the worse is the escalating costs of infrastructure are now critical. You can't build roads, rail and schools cost effectively anymore because there was no land reservation policy and no real coordination of high density developments. So yeah the guv stuffed it. But the way forward is not to maintain the population growth levels, that's effectively trying to dig yourself out of a hole.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That is a pretty broad generalization. It's like you can't talk about immigration rates without being accused of racism.
It's just unfortunate that your first foray into this issue on RB was actually racist.

I have nothing to add on the policy issue, I'm going back to the gunz thread......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In addition to johnny's comment, you are towing a wagon that is pushed by people with a racist agenda and is also used by people with a racist agenda. One of protecting one race at the expense of others.

The world ended in 2012 anyway. So we don't need to worry.