The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are two development models. One is the Chinese way where you build it and they will come. We laugh at their ghost cities but i'm not really sure why sometimes. The alternative is the Indian model where you cram as much into existing infrastructure as possible. We seem to be doing the latter.

The real problem at the moment is the horse has bolted. If we had an honest conversation two decades ago about growth and actually planned for it,it might have been manageable. However, right now, we are majorly behind. House prices are astronomical which hurts retail and thus tax tax, everyone is geared to the eyeballs and this affects the domestic consumption. There have been practically no new developments of commerce centres anywhere which means growth is concentrated in Syd/Melb and the worse is the escalating costs of infrastructure are now critical. You can't build roads, rail and schools cost effectively anymore because there was no land reservation policy and no real coordination of high density developments. So yeah the guv stuffed it. But the way forward is not to maintain the population growth levels, that's effectively trying to dig yourself out of a hole.
We're only a very very tiny population in comparison to those two places and as poodles pointed out with heaps of spare land that's vacant. They can continue to build satellite cities that are self supportive but they even seem to have problems building those because there's not much employment around them. We need more jobs in those areas rather than couple people like sheep in CBDs and with the ending of manufacturing in this country this will get even worse.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
In addition to johnny's comment, you are towing a wagon that is pushed by people with a racist agenda and is also used by people with a racist agenda. One of protecting one race at the expense of others.
Did I not mention it was about numbers? Like I said, unfortunately the outliers get all the air time. But most Australians are concerned about escalating population growth and their reasons are not racially motivated. Surveys have shown that up to 2/3rds or Australians have reservations with the current rates of population growth. So 2/3rds of Aussies are racists?

Did I not mention it was about numbers? Like I said, unfortunately the outliers get all the air time. But most Australians are concerned about escalating population growth and their reasons are not racially motivated. Surveys have shown that up to 2/3rds or Australians have reservations with the current rates of population growth. So 2/3rds of Aussies are racists?
If 2/3rds of the population are concerned about population growth, then they should stop having kids. According to the 2016 census, more than 50% of Australia has one or more parents born overseas, so can be considered recent immigrants and should be blamed for population growth.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If 2/3rds of the population are concerned about population growth, then they should stop having kids. According to the 2016 census, more than 50% of Australia has one or more parents born overseas, so can be considered recent immigrants and should be blamed for population growth.
There is a difference between blaming 'immigrants' and blaming 'immigration'. One is a person or persons making a perfectly rational decision. The latter is complete failure of policy to control levels of immigration such that basic level of services and quality are not severely impacted.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
But estimates are only as good as their data, their assumptions, their modelling and untold other factors.

Also technology changes, making better efficiency with present resources.

Any estimate is only an educated guess at a moving target.
This. It’s about how responsible each human is.

If we all lived first world lifestyles this planet would be obliterated by now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is a difference between blaming 'immigrants' and blaming 'immigration'. One is a person or persons making a perfectly rational decision. The latter is complete failure of policy to control levels of immigration such that basic level of services and quality are not severely impacted.
As a genuine question (not a shit stirring effort) have you considered returning to where your family came from? It would cut us some slack here and China appears to be working with population growth quite well. This last bit is where the llama goes.

It's like climate change denial. The main thrust of that is conservative investment. Why move forward when so much of our investment is tied up in current technology and has not yet reached its life span? Then build some believable (but only if you're daft enough) arguments around that...and people will catch on.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
As a genuine question (not a shit stirring effort) have you considered returning to where your family came from? It would cut us some slack here and China appears to be working with population growth quite well. This last bit is where the llama goes.
I am not Chinese. While my parents were born overseas, I am not and neither are my siblings.

No one here is advocating sending people back home either so it's quite the straw man. Clearly the issue is future projections of immigration.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am not Chinese. While my parents were born overseas, I am not and neither are my siblings.

No one here is advocating sending people back home either so it's quite the straw man. Clearly the issue is future projections of immigration.
I understand that and wasn't saying you were. Just asking if you have ever considered it? Many anglos seem to love "returning" in a similar fashion and connecting with their roots.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Do you think that matters to the current government and their habit of deporting residents of "undesirable character", back to countries they've never set foot in in their life.
Don't ever get a custodial sentence, or you'll have to become accustomed to being Chinese, pretty damn quickly.

I love this twit, she's become the most entertaining thing in Australian politics since Abbott got head butted.

Of course, it may be because she makes the soul destroying harpie, I stupidly married seem like a human being by comparison.

Any one else get the impression, Turnbull is terrified of her?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Any one else get the impression, Turnbull is terrified of her?
Some very unflattering shots of her going nuts. Could she be deported instead but seems like a cruel punishment to the good Chinese of the world.

At least efficient public transport and good food would almost be assured if you were deported to China. Beats going to Rwanda or Manus Island I'd think.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I understand that and wasn't saying you were. Just asking if you have ever considered it? Many anglos seem to love "returning" in a similar fashion and connecting with their roots.
My parents have portugese passports, and yes there have been talks of moving there for retirement. I can't speak the language and don't really associate with the culture, so no.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My parents have portugese passports, and yes there have been talks of moving there for retirement. I can't speak the language and don't really associate with the culture, so no.
Sorry I thought you had previously said they had moved here from China.

Any particular reason you don't really have a connection to the language and culture?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Go to Macau and a have a bit of Portugal in spitting distance of HK. Winning.

The ocean side of Taipa island is pretty relaxing and scenic considering where it is.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sorry I thought you had previously said they had moved here from China.

Any particular reason you don't really have a connection to the language and culture?
I like nandos, does that count? Anyways this thread is not about me, I think we've gone OT far enough lol. My money on the next election is even more swing towards the minorities - largely due to population issues.