The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

LPG

likes thicc birds
Pretty piss weak to keep going. Hero points abound.
We all have our beliefs, nothing will change them.
GO ISRAEL

They had freedom but their Hamas mates keep fucking it up for them.
The UK with gave 78% of Palestine to Zionists to start Israel in 1948
Israel killed and drove out Palestinians in the years following in the "Nakba"
Israel took more land in 1967
Currently Gaza and the West bank are Palestinian territories that are within Israel with power, water etc controlled by Israel.

Please point out what point did this Hamas that was started in 1987 and only had any governmental power representing their territories from 2006 fuck things up for the Palestinian population? Are you sure they aren't reacting to what has happened to them already?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mate, I don't think I was hard done by.
All I want is some sort of inquiry into how states basically became countries.
Constitutionally the state governments hold a lot more responsibility for the day to day lives of their citizens than the federal government. The original federal government responsibilities were not much more than customs taxes and defence. Over the 100 and a little bit years since federation this has changed as states have transferred some obligations to a federal level (such as the nationalisation of some industrial relations obligations). So when the federal government washed their hands of responsibility to secure our borders against the onslaught of covid, the states did the right thing and resolved the situation for themselves. They also collaborated pretty well nationally in doing so.

safreek

Please point out what point did this Hamas that was started in 1987 and only had any governmental power representing their territories from 2006 fuck things up for the Palestinian population? Are you sure they aren't reacting to what has happened to them already?
I was actually pro Palestine until this day.

IMG_20231219_173324.jpg

Last edited:

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Why do you need an enquiry? Australia as a country doesn't have a single defined state of emergency, it's down to the States to implement their own so yeah, each state does act like it's own country, much like driving laws, or bush fire responses.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No inquiry required, you just need to brush up your national history.

Prior to federation, each Colony (which are now the States) was autonomous but answerable directly to the British government. The Federal constitution brought some things, such as military forces under the national banner, but for the most part the Colonies/States retained a very high degree of autonomy. Differing lockdown rules highlighted that, but was certainly not a new Thing.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Not sure where to put this, but The health of China and its economy has a big knock-on effect on us, given the trade Aus does with them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Im sure this new rule from 1 Jan 2025 is going to be super popular - At least they didnt turn to the good old increase the Medicare Levy option.

View attachment 405732
Victorian residential investors are already running for the hills, yes running to the hills in NSW and Qld ;) . They've already brought out a heap of new laws to deter investors in Vic. They want the majority of people in Australia to be bums and have bugger all, considering that most resi investors are mum and dad investors on a low income.

Game changing property tax changes in Victoria

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Victorian residential investors are already running for the hills, yes running to the hills in NSW and Qld ;) . They've already brought out a heap of new laws to deter investors in Vic. They want the majority of people in Australia to be bums and have bugger all, considering that most resi investors are mum and dad investors on a low income.

Game changing property tax changes in Victoria
That type of investor we can do without. Vacant and derelict blocks across metropolitan Melbourne are rife because people just sit on land speculating the prices will rise. It increases demand on the remaining housing stock which does drive up prices (improving their investment collectively), but also prices many people out of the market due to the increased competition. It's an 'industry' that's been protected for far too long IMO.

The other levy that @Minlak linked is not horrible in principle, until it inevitably becomes permanent and just gets dumped into general tax base to be wasted on rorts and re-election campaigns.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That type of investor we can do without. Vacant and derelict blocks across metropolitan Melbourne are rife because people just sit on land speculating the prices will rise. It increases demand on the remaining housing stock which does drive up prices (improving their investment collectively), but also prices many people out of the market due to the increased competition. It's an 'industry' that's been protected for far too long IMO.

The other levy that @Minlak linked is not horrible in principle, until it inevitably becomes permanent and just gets dumped into general tax base to be wasted on rorts and re-election campaigns.
Hard agree.

Government assists people in buying multiple properties, driving property values up artificially and making it increasingly difficult for people to jump on the bottom rung of that ladder.
This is just the government stepping in and taking a little back from select people that are hoarding properties or choosing to rent short stay instead of to those that need a home. I doubt it'd have much impact outside of political suicide (or at least a sky news talking point for a few months), but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk