Eats Squid
I think in the end it will come down to colour choice....but

- Surly Steamroller
- Pake CroMo
or
- Cinelli Gazzetta

I'm thinking the Pake at the moment.

Anyone not love Pakes?
Gazzetta is the nicest, Surly the most versatile and pake not really that great at all.

Gazetta is Columbus tubing, has best colours and is a goddam Cinelli!

Surly is Double butted 4130, space for (clip on) fenders & wider tires should you ever want them.

Pake is straight gauge tubing so heavier, no clearance for larger than 28c tires or fenders. But it comes in black.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But it comes in black.
I know what I want.

Who has trouble with cog slipping? I've never had a cog slip, ever. But a lot of my mates have had a lot of trouble.. to the point where it's dangerous.

Some of them have invested $70+ in new cog/lockring and still had trouble. The hub's aren't stripped and locktite is applied. What else could it be? There isn't a gap between the lockring and cog as far as we and bike shops can tell.

Is it just luck with lockring and cog combos? I'm rocking soma stainless steel cog and lockring, which is perfect.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know what I want.

Who has trouble with cog slipping? I've never had a cog slip, ever. But a lot of my mates have had a lot of trouble.. to the point where it's dangerous.

Some of them have invested $70+ in new cog/lockring and still had trouble. The hub's aren't stripped and locktite is applied. What else could it be? There isn't a gap between the lockring and cog as far as we and bike shops can tell.

Is it just luck with lockring and cog combos? I'm rocking soma stainless steel cog and lockring, which is perfect.
Try this

I'm waiting for mine to arrive

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my big fat boss to put his big fat body onto the chain whip and lock-ring tool. Since then, no troubles what so ever, silky smooth.

HLC

Likes Dirt
Hey is this a Visp frame and fork set-up off eBay?

If so, how long is the shipping time and is it good quality or cheap and scary stuff?
yeah it is.

shipping was pretty quick, i didnt even keep track, but it turned up about 2 weeks before i thought it would, maybe 4 or 5 business days tops.

my thoughts on it.

The paint is shit and the welds are butt ugly, and ill need to make a shim out of a coke can for the seat post, but all in all, im happy with it. Seems pretty strong, and its pretty light. that being said, i;ve only taken it for a thrash around the block. Its got a slightly bigger gear than my other bike, but it feels completely different to ride. handling is pretty good too imo.

HLC

Likes Dirt
I know what I want.

i just 'rotafixed' mine, ie, wound it on as tight as i could then pedalled my ass up the biggest hill i could find. slipped for the first couple of revolutions but now its tight as. then wound the locking ring on, stuck a screwdriver in one of the notches and used a hammer to tighten it lol no problems yet, but im still nervous LOL

pilot

Likes Dirt
No! No! No! No! No!

Please don't get a frame because it looks nicer...function over form anyday.

My 2c...do what you please...
That's such a simplistic response.

I've clearly put thought into the bike being functional, I've come up with a list of three frames in my price range, all with slight differences, one of which being colour.

I'm building a fixie dude, it's hardly the most practical bicycle I could choose. Aesthetics are clearly an issue, and will always factor in my decision.

This thing is going to sit in my lounge room, I want it to be as enjoyable to look at as it is to ride. It will be an artisitc outlet for me in its construction as well as a sick-fun-beast to fly around on.

Thanks for your input.

pilot

Likes Dirt
Gazzetta is the nicest, Surly the most versatile and pake not really that great at all.

Gazetta is Columbus tubing, has best colours and is a goddam Cinelli!

Surly is Double butted 4130, space for (clip on) fenders & wider tires should you ever want them.

Pake is straight gauge tubing so heavier, no clearance for larger than 28c tires or fenders. But it comes in black.
Yeah I'm leaning towards the Surly, probably the most sensible choice, and a little cheaper than Gazzetta.

But yeah Cinelli would be a nice addition to the family, i'm just not sure I want any of the colours on offer, I like the purple but I don't think I could live with it.

How would a Volume Cutter fit into this group? Are they overbuilt for street trix stylez? What sort of price are the frames?

RCOH

Eats Squid
If you use decent-to-good quality products, use grease on your threads and do the cog & lockring up tightly (but not over tighten) then there is no reason why a cog will slip.

Rotafixing (either by cranking up a hill/using good track chainwhip/or putting cog in vice and using the wheel for leverage) will do the cog up nice and tight. Then you just have to put the lockring on until it stops. Do not overtighten. The grease on the threads will prevent it from vibrating loose.

Locktite should not be necessary.

Those halo hubs are an answer to a question that need never have been asked.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
What about Cycle Underground's "Six Shooter" disc brake cogs?

Remarkably simple idea, but why hasn't it take off? What am I missing? (Here's the link if you haven't seen them)

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ Because the chainline will be whack. Those are more a last resort/something for shits and giggles on SS xc bikes.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Why don't do it? Have you ridden one?
Would you ride a department store bike? Thats what I would consider them to be.
Pretty much poor design.

Always used surly cogs on velocity hubs with a velocity lockring and haven't had a slip, ever. *touch wood*

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Surly, probably the most sensible choice, and a little cheaper than Gazzetta.
Fixie's aren't sensible.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Remarkably simple idea, but why hasn't it take off? What am I missing? (Here's the link if you haven't seen them)
They necessitate either a mountain bike hub or shitty commuter hub on your track or road frame. Track/road frames tend to be 120, 126 or 130mm rear spacing whilst mountain bike hubs are either 135mm(rear) or 100-110mm (front).

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Would you ride a department store bike? Thats what I would consider them to be. Pretty much poor design.
What bit do you consider poor design? Yes they are a mass produced frame, yes they are cheap. Would I personally buy one? No. But I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a frame with a tight budget. You can build one of these up to be a very decent and solid daily ride that you don't have to worry about.

A friend here in Canberra has had one for more than a year, rides it pretty much every day to uni and loves the thing. He also has a very nice keirin frame, but as a daily rider, he chooses the VISP.

Lorday

Eats Squid
What bit do you consider poor design? Yes they are a mass produced frame, yes they are cheap. Would I personally buy one? No. But I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a frame with a tight budget. You can build one of these up to be a very decent and solid daily ride that you don't have to worry about.

A friend here in Canberra has had one for more than a year, rides it pretty much every day to uni and loves the thing. He also has a very nice keirin frame, but as a daily rider, he chooses the VISP.
Only half of the dropouts being usable, straight guage tubing, seat tube/clamping mech apperently is poor, slopply tolerances, aesthetically piss poor (IMO not everyones opinion).
Stuff like the scrambler has good reviews and its similiar pricing. Depending on your relationship with your lbs, flites, fujis etc can be had for not too much more.
Second hand is a better option at that pricepoint IMO.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I thought second hand was a better option as well. Until my frame cracked. See ya later $450 for not even 2 weeks worth of riding. I'm a bit suss on 2 hand frames now, you just don't know the history.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I thought second hand was a better option as well. Until my frame cracked. See ya later $450 for not even 2 weeks worth of riding. I'm a bit suss on 2 hand frames now, you just don't know the history.
Fair enough. Like anything second hand its a bit 'hit and miss'.