The Fixie Thread

'Ross

Eats Squid
Sweet.
Good work ross!
Sucks I missed it, but when your bff goes os you have to hang out with her before she leaves!

Sounds like a real good format also. I'm real keen for the next alley cat. Racing is funnnn
Yer thanks, I didn't crash this time!
There were no frame snappages this time, but some dude buckled an almost brand new Deep V going over a gutter and big pinch flat:(
Also the guy I narrowly beat (on thursday he had the mowhawk and purple paconi) he was so angry he started hurling his bike around fed square! I hope he didn't damage anything, it was a beautiful frame.

Sekt

Likes Dirt
Shit yeah, good fun rocking a check point on Saturday night. Good too meet Ross too. Heaps of crew around, it was a killer race. Hopefully I'll be able to make it over some time in the near future and do some riding. Cheers to Dimos for the beers too!

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
EDIT: what bike were you on jonny boy? I met heaps of new people this week, some I know from forums, others just new faces. Its really hard to assertain if you think you know someone or not, as I found out a couple of times!
I was on my beater... Old purple road frame with flat bars and pedals, and ghetto SS (just looped chain around the 16t cog on a cluster)- I doubt you would have noticed it considering the company, unless to think "wow, that bike is terrible." Would have been wearing a red fox flux helmet or a cap. Nice work on the racing, sounds like tonnes of fun, can't wait till I have my fixie up and running- It's been in the pipeline for far too long...

'Ross

Eats Squid
Ha, maybe that arrogant cop was illuding to your bike?

The cop rocks up, says 'mmm... you boys got some nice bikes here......and SOME SHIT ONES!!!' it was a bit awkward but then Lane sweet talked him and he left and we were allowed to continue loitering/disrupting traffic:D

Pete J

loves his dog
Has anyone in Melbourne got a spare frame lying around that fits these requirements?
- 54cm square(ish)
- 120cm dropouts (126mm will do)
- 27.2mm seatpost (or similar common size)
- English thread bb
- Lugged
- Fork drilled for a brake
- Decent (or better) paint

I'll be in town shortly and am looking to replace my slightly too big Peugeot.
Let me know via pm please. Nothing too pricey though, otherwise i'd be asking Andy White. :p
Cheers, Pete.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Dropped the chain again riding to work. this time it brought me to a skidding halt.
my chain is tight and the chain line is straight, so the only thing i can see contributing to my chain dropping (which has only happened twice, but thats two too many!) is that im running a bmx chain, which is wider than the chain it replaces.

SO!

I need a new chain that will hopefully solve my issues. Suggestions?

OR

Is it worth getting the wider toother cog and sprocket?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The Steamroller comes with 3/32" cog and chainring right? Just get a 3/32" chain, much cheeper than replacing cog and chainring.

røhvul

Likes Dirt
I run a 1/8th chain on a 3/32nd cog with no problems. Bit noisy, but has worked fine for three months so far. Maybe a tight/loose spot issue? ie chain is tight at one point, but is all over the place one pedal stroke later..

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And guess who I saw today trackstanding at a train crossing? Christo! Were you on your Langster or some different bike? It had a mudflap and looked kinda different.
That would've been 'Jim' my fixie (the Langster is a SS roadie) which is an old clunker fixie that I ride to the gym/work about 4 days a week (hence the name) - he's not pretty but he's fun to ride - if you're down at willy beach at about 6:45am you'll see him most days... Also, it wasn't a mudflap, it was a pannier rack - better for the change of clothes & laptop...

If you get to the shop, check out the S-works langster - it's slowly coming along... Cranks in the next week I hope.

And I'd also like to publicly apologise to Lebronmtb for me being even more of a wanker than I usually am (if that's possible) when I saw him last:eek:

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
My vittoria zaffiro lasted a week on the rear. I took it from the front when I got my gatorskin.

And in relation to my dropped chain today. When it wrapped up and caused me to skid it bent my right drop out. A lot of bashing, bending and swearing to get the wheel out. It bent back pretty easily. Thank you chromoly!
Got a right sized chain also. Runs so quiet!

ducan

Likes Dirt
Ordered my Surly Steamroller today.

UBER PISSED OFF not in stock in the country till early jan. :mad:

Just save more cash so I can mod it harder when it comes in i guess ? :cool:

'Ross

Eats Squid
If you get to the shop, check out the S-works langster - it's slowly coming along... Cranks in the next week I hope.

And I'd also like to publicly apologise to Lebronmtb for me being even more of a wanker than I usually am (if that's possible) when I saw him last:eek:
Coming in tommorrow to suss out your selection of 1 inch forks. He told me you were mean to him, I told him to go buy his Deep Vs somewhere else:p

EDIT: After reading Rhys' post I think I might be in the same situation. I was under the impression my whole drivetrain was 1/8th, yet when I bought a chainwhip it didn't fit my rear cog? It is also quite noisy and vibrate-ey at times, I think some replacing is in order.

Anyway, my new (but secretive) fixie is coming along steadily, I almost have the whole frame done, but finishing little parts and doing the front wheel is so incredibly difficult! When I post pics you will know what I am on about.

Last edited:

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
My lock ring or something in the drivetrain at least.
coming into the city today i didnt need to slow down or put in a big crank until the roundabout at the top of elizabeth st. go to crank forward and it all slipped. the same thing happens when i go to skid.
THIS DIDNT HAPPEN LASTNIGHT!!!

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ordered my Surly Steamroller today.

UBER PISSED OFF not in stock in the country till early jan. :mad:

Just save more cash so I can mod it harder when it comes in i guess ? :cool:
depending on what size you are looking for......Mal Adjusted in Canberra has one in stock on the floor and Phantom Cycles has a frame and fork in stock.

SDA

Likes Dirt
My lock ring or something in the drivetrain at least.
coming into the city today i didnt need to slow down or put in a big crank until the roundabout at the top of elizabeth st. go to crank forward and it all slipped. the same thing happens when i go to skid.
THIS DIDNT HAPPEN LASTNIGHT!!!
Tighten you chain.. when trackstanding you will notice the play. If its not that.. who knows without looking at it.