The Fixie Thread

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have a true cassette hub, Ie the cassette is held on by a lock ring, which once removed the cassette slides off, then your only viable option for this wheel is a single speed.

If you have a freewheel, ie, the whole thing unscrews then you could put a "suicide hub" setup on there. Ie, remove the freewheel, install track cog, and bottom bracket lock ring.

Personally, i dont have a problem with a suicide setup, as long as you run brakes. Other people probably wont agree...
you could always zip tie your cassette to your spokes. works a treat and is real awesome without brakes.
not. there was a fixie at school made this way, i nearly broke it.

dh911

Likes Bikes
the suicide setup can be made a little "safer" if you put a threadlock glue (I use loctite) on both the cog and the lockring. I skid all the time and it hasn't come undone yet. Although I'm currently waiting for my track hubs to be built to the new wheels so it's sort of a tempory setup. I don't use brakes, because they look silly.

addmin

Likes Dirt
the suicide setup can be made a little "safer" if you put a threadlock glue (I use loctite) on both the cog and the lockring. I skid all the time and it hasn't come undone yet. Although I'm currently waiting for my track hubs to be built to the new wheels so it's sort of a tempory setup. I don't use brakes, because they look silly.
lol....:rolleyes:

i run a suicide setup, but i have a brake just in case.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ha ha brakes do look silly, just like helmets and wheelchairs

climbo

Likes Dirt
looks like a sweet ride although it mentions a lot of highways :( Nice blog, Canberra has a lot of riding and pathways etc. so easy to get around but soooo cold in winter..... I hate the cold....

Made a few updates to my bike lately, and yes, it's mine, not a rip-off from another site :)

Cut down my bars and found a new way to carry my PB wrench.

Attachments

Binaural

Eats Squid
looks like a sweet ride although it mentions a lot of highways :( Nice blog, Canberra has a lot of riding and pathways etc. so easy to get around but soooo cold in winter..... I hate the cold....

Made a few updates to my bike lately, and yes, it's mine, not a rip-off from another site :)

Cut down my bars and found a new way to carry my PB wrench.
This bike is all that is good about fixies - cheap, cobbled together from whatever is lying around, simple. I like!

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Le Tour de Toilet tomorrow.

7:00am, Martin Place GPO, SYDNEY

A cruise through the lost dunny-cart lanes of Sydney, ending up at Bourke Street Bakery for breakfast.

Ironically, not on if it is pissing down.