The Fixie Thread

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
Heres my fixie got it finished just before christmas, and got dandelion to take photos with his new Canon EOS 50d
Whole build seriously cost me nothing, i had all the parts lying around, new coat of paint for it soon, maybe new tyres to, C&C welcome

Attachments

Last edited:

castillo

Likes Dirt
I like that you wear a helmet and there are spokey dokeys, and it looks good for something you built on the cheap. Is the frame too big for you, or the seat that low is just to get comfortable on it?

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Diggin' my fixie at the moment (thanks Purt!) new bars are amazing.
Back wheel is a bit rough as usual but whatever!

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to see you like them. I'm thinking about starting a fixie project again and the bars would have been perfect :p I'm thinking drops now though...

Chuck up a pic so we can see :)

INRI

Likes Dirt
b_S pardon my ignorance but who are you/which bike were you on?
I enjoyed the pumpkin run immensely, good times.

Just a question to all the Canberrans, I'm coming down (out?) from Sydney on the 5/6th of January and I'm going to bring my fixed gear this time instead of my BMX. Wifey is looking at an exhibition in the national gallery so I'm going to get a few km's in. If you are down to meet up for a coffee or to show me around that would be great. If not, get stuffed and I'll find my own way around. Thanks!
Me and my friends Josh and Shaun might be keen for a shortish loop, 25-30k, mid pace? nothing strenuous, all scenic as hell bike paths. Otherwise hit Fixed, no doubt Ty or Lee are keen for a ride.

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys

I am after some advice, I am wanting to buy a cheap fixie/ss for the work commute and I am wondering what size and style of wheels/tyres I need for the bike to be reliable? I notice lots of roadies fixing flat tyres on the side of the road and do not want to be one of them. I want to be able to ride down gutters and pop wheelies and things without worrying too much about punctures and buckles.

Anything else I need to think about for a fun commuter?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Josh

jcmc

Squid
Gents,

I have in my possession an old Cecil Walker roady that hasn't been ridden in ~15 years.

Throw me some ideas on what to do with it.

J.

Lorday

Eats Squid
@fallboy... strong wheels and good quality tires will make commuting a heap more fun as ou won't have to worry about breaking/busting anything. If you plan to skid heaps; cheap tires changed regularly will do the job.

Good quality tire: Conti Gatorskin's
Skid tires: Vittoria Zaffiro/rubino

addmin

Likes Dirt
I laughed..

The ''Fixies'' (or the Nutters)
This group ride fixed-drive bicycles inspired by those used in velodrome racing. Fixed-drive means one single gear and - quite seriously - often no conventional brakes. These oft-bearded loonies aim to achieve a Zen state by anticipating all obstacles and, in regard to traffic lights, laughingly refer to themselves as colour blind. Should stopping become a (reluctant) necessity, Fixies will stop by raising their rear tyre in a sort of agitated and utterly un-Zen-like bunny hop, and then go about jackhammering the road with their front tyre. Like couriers - who make up much of their number - they will, if stopped for more than a moment, twist themselves and their bikes into all sorts of figure-eights just to avoid putting a foot on the road in the apparent belief that the road is suddenly not a road but a nasty snapping shark.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/e...-sydneys-twowheeled-tribes-20100101-llsp.html

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I am after some advice, I am wanting to buy a cheap fixie/ss for the work commute and I am wondering what size and style of wheels/tyres I need for the bike to be reliable? I notice lots of roadies fixing flat tyres on the side of the road and do not want to be one of them. I want to be able to ride down gutters and pop wheelies and things without worrying too much about punctures and buckles.

Anything else I need to think about for a fun commuter?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Josh
if you want reliable, no-fuss wheels you never have to worry about, get velocity deep-v's or b43's with formula hubs. strong as on ox, look good and just don't break.
tyres: get conti gatorskins in a 25. i've been running these in 23s and 25s for a year or so and had one flat. not awesome in the wet, but who gives a fuck. they're fast, last forever and skid alright.

castillo

Likes Dirt
if you want reliable, no-fuss wheels you never have to worry about, get velocity deep-v's or b43's with formula hubs. strong as on ox, look good and just don't break.
tyres: get conti gatorskins in a 25. i've been running these in 23s and 25s for a year or so and had one flat. not awesome in the wet, but who gives a fuck. they're fast, last forever and skid alright.
Pretty much what he said. I have ploughed headfirst into gutters at 20km/h and all I got was an exploded tyre and skin off, my deep Vs were fine. People run them cos they look good and they are strong. Gatorskin tyres are the tyre to use. It's probably worth buying a 6-700 brand new bike but getting the shop to put some deep V's on for you.

COR10

Likes Bikes
Got a set of hillbrick deep v wheels for sale if anyone is interested.
In perth
pm me if interested.
Good price