The Fixie Thread

niki125

Likes Dirt
I havent posted here for ages, but I have a couple of questions regarding a fixie/single speed project I am working on:

What size thread are most pedals on road bikes from 1980-1990?

Would any single speed kit fit my hub? I have only had experience with DJ/4X bikes, so I am still learning the differences of road bikes.

Thanks heaps in advance guys

1. Standard pedal thread is 9/16 x 20. Variations were the French thread that Mavic and a few other companies used for a bit, 1 piece cranks and Shimano AX series stuff that had a 20mm axle.

2. If your rear wheel is cassette then most likely. The only exception would be if you had either Campy hubs or one of the obsolete Mavic hub designs. If it's Campy you just need to buy the cog with the right spline. If it's not cassette then your options change a bit but that's another story.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
If you have a separate freehub and cassette, then its just a matter of putting cogs and spacers on with a few variations that niki125 mentioned. Older bikes often have a one piece cassette and freehub though, in which case you will need to buy a BMX freehub i believe and you may need to mess around with spacers on the axle etc to get the chain line right, but this is just what ive been told, im yet to deal with it on my SS

Jaumet

Likes Dirt

Lorday

Eats Squid
I kinda like that my wife doesn't ride. It's one place I know I can get some time to myself you know?
I have no mates that ride. I love that It's one thing that is 'mine', free from criticism, free from the politics of work, free from anything shit, etc. I fucking love riding.

nick_sixx

Likes Dirt
Its so beautifull I might not even ride it

So I was talking to the guy at the LBS and he reckons this frames was made by a guy called Bates. Apparently he made frames in Coburg (Melb Vic) and this frame was built any where between 1930 and 1950. He said its as good as any Italy steal jobbie. I dont know about all that but it was free off the hardrubbish and its a sweet ride. I took her for her maiden voyage last night. Being a fixie virgen it was a weird experiance to say the least. But I loved it. Didnt use the break once between Brunswick and North Melbourne and back again.

No name stem,no name vintage headset, floped and choped no name bars, no name vintage lever and brake, Miche hubs on deep V's, Kool chain, complete and utter piece of shit seat that I will be replacing asap. Shimano BB, Sakae Japanese cranks and Christophe vintage french pedals.
In the final picture...does anyone know where to get those hotrod-esque spiked bolts? I have to have them

Sir

Squid
Shifters

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if someone had a pair of chrome downtube shifters lying around? I am just completing a roadie restoration and thought with the lack of gears in this forum there must be some needing a home.:)

Thanks

RCOH

Eats Squid
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if someone had a pair of chrome downtube shifters lying around? I am just completing a roadie restoration and thought with the lack of gears in this forum there must be some needing a home.:)

Thanks
I got a set of DuraAce downtube shifters - $30 bucks and they're yours. I *think* they're 1983 - immaculate condition.

nick_sixx

Likes Dirt
My finished project

Finished today after a gruelling 4 day build.

Before: (Not actually, but this bike looks almost identical - except no mud gaurds...)

After:

Cost around $60 in paint and handlebar tape/pedals, the rest is just leftover parts. It looked different when I was planning the colour scheme (if you can call 2 colours a scheme), but I am still pretty happy with the outcome. It's actually a satin gunmetal colour, but looks black in the photos unfortunately

marshro

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i have just built my fixie (will have pics up soon) but i am about to put my bars on and i have a 1.1/8 to 1" stem converter and i went to put it on and it wont fit its 0.85 " ID what should i do ? is there another stem converter for that ???? its a threaded fork

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
Hey guys i have just built my fixie (will have pics up soon) but i am about to put my bars on and i have a 1.1/8 to 1" stem converter and i went to put it on and it wont fit its 0.85 " ID what should i do ? is there another stem converter for that ???? its a threaded fork
more info please.
is it a threaded 1" fork going into a normal threaded headset? what's the convertor for? are you trying to fit a threadless stem on a threaded fork? so many questions.