The Fixie Thread

'Ross

Eats Squid
Finished building this after a couple of years, had enough of riding fixed. Will do a proper post your ride later when I get more pics:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Realised that I have an brand new 50t in the shed. Think I will just grab myself a 19t Surly for on the back and laugh all the way to the pub :)

HLC

Likes Dirt
TOMORROW!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219050268147864#!/event.php?eid=219050268147864

Following the recent success of Simon & Kaspar's JUNGLECAT, the B.I.G guys have decided to put together a little Alleycat for everyone...

The B.I.G High Roller Poker-Cat is a combination of your traditional Checkpoint Race with a side of Poker thrown in!

That way if you ain't the fastest or are the drunkest, or stuck riding a trick ratio, you are still gonna have a chance at walking away with a prize - and believe me, they will be... decent, we're talking a LEADER Track Frame, Big $$ Vouchers + a host of other swag!

This race is friendly to all bikes and styles of riders of all abilities!

Bring your mates, bring your lady - there will be ladies prizes too. WE DON'T KNOW EVERYONE WHO RIDES A BIKE IN PERTH SO PLEASE INVITE ALL YOUR BIKE ORIENTATED FRIENDS YEAH?

It's gonna be an arvo Race - haven't had a race in daylight in ages and come end of september it should be nice and warm for it.

The deets:
Date - Sat Sep 24
Time - 1pm Rego, 2pm Race
Meet Point - Banks Reserve, East Perth - Just off Joel Tce
Cost - $10 for Blokes, $5 for Ladies

Sponsor List Includes (in no particular order):

Liberty Bikes Morley https://www.facebook.com/pages/Liberty-Bikes/164202593633321?v=info
HUB (Marty's Label)
GEAR Brisbane GEAR SHOP BRISBANE
BO Gear Brisbane Outdoor Gear | Messenger Bags, Courier Bags, Backpacks, Straps, Bike Accessories
Grand Scheme Grand Scheme Shop
Saint Cloud saintcloud
Bike Jam https://www.facebook.com/groups/BikeJam/
Dismantle Dismantle | Rebuild & Reconnect
Fyxation Fyxation
Knog KNOG : General Pages
Skin Grows Back skin grows back. there's no such thing as overkill
Creux Velowear creux cycling - cycling clothes - velowear - buy online - jeans - tshirts - jerseys - polos - hoodies - jeans
Bike Thrones Bike Thrones - For your royal arse
TBE Belmont The Bicycle Entrepreneur, Perth, WA, The Bicycle Entrepreneur, Perth's bike experts

If you are from a Local Bike Store or Shop and would like to sponsor this event, please contact either Henri or Marty (Event Admins).

We are going to need a couple of checkpointers - so please if you are keen put your hand up! We would also love you to do a little bit of filming on the day! AND we will be hooking you guys up as thanks for your efforts and supporting us!!

BEERS INSTEAD OF GEARS
more info: beersinsteadofgears@hotmail.com

EXPECT EXCELLENCE

[video=vimeo;28964802]http://vimeo.com/28964802[/video]

+ more!!!

Last edited:

Keven

Likes Dirt
If it's still really good condition powdercoat, giving it a quick rub with paper helps break the surface though.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
First Fixe

Well I had been looking for something to use as 'a get around' bike and had been contemplating putting something together myself from cheap parts, buying second hand or getting a pre built like the Cell Mallett. During the procrastinating process, which involved trying to get something as cheap as possible, mostly to see if I would actually use the type of bike to justify getting something nicer, I came across a sample sale at the Aus Bike Show. This was at a minimalist booth with 3 bikes and a hand written "Sample Sale Sign" asking how much I was able to talk them down to $100. Thinking its about as cheap of a complete bike as I was going to find the purchase was made. It did need a bit of a rebuild and not surprisingly things are not the best quality but its good enough, but with a swap of some parts I had sitting in the bits box and the purchase of pedals and straps its something I really enjoy riding around. Still getting used to the whole fixed gear thing (there is no flip flop hub so fixed is it) and thinking about putting a front brake on for those oh shit traffic moments while I work out the art of stopping quickly.

So for $140 all up at the moment it seems like the perfect introduction

Photo_7B3118BA-6A53-7CE6-F8BD-3DAB33E9042A.jpg

Last edited:

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
Thinking of respraying my fixie,
Do you need to sand down or strip the clear coat off the frame?
Or can you just spray some etch primer over it and go from there?
thanks..

HLC

Likes Dirt
Thinking of respraying my fixie,
Do you need to sand down or strip the clear coat off the frame?
Or can you just spray some etch primer over it and go from there?
thanks..
if you want to do a good job... yes.

and $140 above!! Bargain!!!!!!

potato

Likes Dirt
nice pickup for $140 brasco!
if i were you i would invest in a decent wheelset for it, as those wheels have a terrible reputation for the lockring thread stripping really quickly.
other than that, :clap2:

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Thanks Potato - on the wheels, I have had what felt like the wheel moving in the drop out while riding the other day. Mostly when using lots of force to slow down while going down a hill and then starting to put the power down going back up the other side. I thought it wasn't tight enough and was slipping but could it be the lockring?

Its is definitely not the best quality but will probably ride these until they die or annoy me so much I change them out.

Matty manuva

Likes Bikes
For those of you in Melbourne who have been wondering what that smell is:

Now that the PussyCat has come, seen and conquered MDMA would like to proudly present the second race in the Courier Cup....

SmellBum PooBaix - A Really Shitty Race!

Friday October 7, 7pm for an 8pm start from melbourne museum

supported by SKIN GROWS BACK, BOGEAR, PONY BIKES, HUMAN POWERED CYCLES, ST CLOUD, KNOG, CRUMPLER, PISTA BIKES

A breakneck dash between Melburn's Public Toilets, a high speed blur of dunny rolls and glory holes. From the reeking trough of your local watering hole to the discarded syringes of your local beat. Snap on the rubber gloves and suck back a couple of very deep breaths because this is a race that's going to take you places you probably shouldn't go.

10 bucks to enter (unless you purchased our 20 crack CC value pack last week at Pussycat) - all proceeds go towards the Australian Cycle Messenger Championships, coming to melbourne easter 2012

Heaps of prizes from our infinitely generous yet slightly misguided sponsors including one for BEST COSTUME! fuck yeah, dress up like a poo, you know you want to

You will need a bag, you will need a lock, its a frickin courier race, work it out.

Anyone can enter, not just couriers.