The Fixie Thread

'Ross

Eats Squid
Hey fixie riders, just wondering if anyone went to the 'Dash for no cash' for Dino the Greek? In melbourne on Tuesday. I was randomly in the city and saw fixie riders everywhere! I wondered what was going on, so looked on fyxamitosis and saw a poster for it.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Nah missed that one but I would've liked to gone though. Maybe next time he has a bingle I'll take up the offer!

'Ross

Eats Squid
Nah missed that one but I would've liked to gone though. Maybe next time he has a bingle I'll take up the offer!
I think the next event is on July 7. I think its called Melburn Rooabix??? Does anyone know a forum where this event will be talked about, Im very keen to go and take pictures for a media project but Im not sure on the precise details and if its actually ok for me to take photos.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
The Roobaix should be a great race, certainly sounded good last year.

As for taking pictures, I think the only way you could do it would be to race. The route is not public until the day. Although if you hung around cobblestone streets and laneways near the city you might get lucky. :p

Bodin

GMBC

As for taking pictures, I think the only way you could do it would be to race.
Then do it - strap a Twenty20 to your helmet, bust out the CannonStealthFixie with the 2.5inch street tyres to take the edge off the cobbles and give us all some in-game footage.

That I would pay to see... :cool:

'Ross

Eats Squid

As for taking pictures, I think the only way you could do it would be to race. The route is not public until the day. Although if you hung around cobblestone streets and laneways near the city you might get lucky. :p
Yer, Ill probably hang around the start/ finish whereever that is? And see what pics I can pull off:p Probably won't be competing, I just hope my fixie is finished by then!

Pete J

loves his dog
Small update for my bike, new bars/stem/levers and i gave the original seatpost a sand and polish (after deciding that i didn't want to wreck the new one i bought recently). Looks kinda nice but these track bars are mega uncomfy, might go back to my old ones i think...
Am thinking about a fixed rear wheel though, or maybe even modifying the Profile that i have, anyone know if the freewheel part of the hub can be disengaged?

Attachments

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
All the non-conformists are going to have to get unicycles, recumbents or trikes.
Nup, 6spd roadies with a single front chainring are coming up... dura-ace down tube shifter!

p.s I want a Baum frame this (|---------------------------------------|) bad. No seriously i have been dreaming.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Hey ,
Instead of creating a new thread i decided to put this question in the fixie thread. I am planning right now to look for new wheels, may be a fixie may be single speed but right now i am just thinking singlespeed. But heres the question.
Would i be able to run a QR on the rear if i singlespeed/fix on semi horizontal dropouts.?

Is this just silly?.. Does the QR acheive enough strength to hold the wheel in place.?

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes and no.

First no. Firstly you will have trouble finding a QR hub with a stepped thread for fixed. Secondly a standard QR will slip. Even if the clamp is as strong as a nut, it only holds the axle on one side so it will slip.

Now for the yes. A bolt up skewer and chain tugs can work. You need the skewer, some washers and chain tugs. It is a bit of a fiddle, and won't be as safe as a nutted axle but it may work if you are lucky.

The only reason I would do this is if you have a QR hub that you really want to use. I would recommend it for single speed, but not for fixed.

On my single speed I have a bolt up skewer but that is because I have a QR hum that I really really want to use ;)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey ,
Instead of creating a new thread i decided to put this question in the fixie thread. I am planning right now to look for new wheels, may be a fixie may be single speed but right now i am just thinking singlespeed. But heres the question.
Would i be able to run a QR on the rear if i singlespeed/fix on semi horizontal dropouts.?

Is this just silly?.. Does the QR acheive enough strength to hold the wheel in place.?
Had that problem come into the shop a few times, QR's never seem to hold. A guy recently (fortnight ago) bought some trans-x lockable skewers (the five-sided allen key ones) for his SS with QR hubs - he hasn't been back so I'm assuming it worked.

Not expensive to get a bolt-up axle installed in your QR hub...