The gaming thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have Skyrim waiting for me at home but after Fallout 3 (?) and Oblivion I need a long break before starting it properly. I played an hour or two of it and went "meh, not interested in killing squirrels so I can obtain a +1 butter knife"
In the game, you're about ten minutes away from it being interesting. Stay with it mate, I reckon it's one of the best games made and leveling up really rewards your character's capabilities.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm hearing that quite a lot, I won't be getting it.
I started Dark Souls in February, gave it five hours and canned it. Understanding that it's a different game, after playing Skyrim for three hundred hours I've set my role playing game expectation very high. Dark Souls just lacked any interest for me.
I'm waiting for the Witcher to come ou tin May but before that I needed a story to get me through those long nights so I grabbed Dragon Age Inquisition. Again, comparing anything to Skyrim is my goal and so far, I'm very impressed and plan to play it right through. It's brilliant to look at, the landscapes are awesome. The combat is all over the place but because it's four people attacking a few targets at once, you'd expect that. Still, I love the adventure and it's really engrossing.
My game radar for this year is this:
May is Project Cars and The Witcher.
June is Batman Arkham Knight and F1 2015.
Sometime later this year is Rainbow 6 and The Division, both games from the Tom Clancy stable of storylines.
I got about 4/5 of the way through Dark Souls and was loving it, then I got sidetracked with work and overseas trips and now returning to it is far too daunting a prospect - it was punishing enough in the early stages, when I left shit was getting hardcore and I've lost all my momentum. Still, I'm determined to beat that fucker before I die!

A mate of mine just finished Dragon Age. He loved it but reckoned it's a major black hole for your spare time.

The PS4 driving games can get fucked until they sort out the compatibility with 3rd gen steering wheels like the G27 and the like. I'm not forking out another $300-$500 to replace a perfectly good G27 (or doubling that if I want to keep playing split-screen 2-player with my mates like I can currently do with the PS3 racers)

At the moment I'm away at work and I've been returning to good old Civ 5 on the laptop. That's another massive black hole but luckily it's one I that can play on shift and still make it look like I'm working.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The PS4 driving games can get fucked until they sort out the compatibility with 3rd gen steering wheels like the G27 and the like. I'm not forking out another $300-$500 to replace a perfectly good G27 (or doubling that if I want to keep playing split-screen 2-player with my mates like I can currently do with the PS3 racers)
This is pissing me off too. The only force feedback wheel on the pS4 market is a whopping $500 minimum Thrustmaster T300. It's the same build as my Driving Force GT and I ain't spending that much on a wheel. Yet.

I got about 4/5 of the way through Dark Souls and was loving it, then I got sidetracked with work and overseas trips and now returning to it is far too daunting a prospect - it was punishing enough in the early stages, when I left shit was getting hardcore and I've lost all my momentum. Still, I'm determined to beat that fucker before I die!
Don't !!

just walk away, you've been given a chance, take it, and don't be tempted to start DS2

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This is pissing me off too. The only force feedback wheel on the pS4 market is a whopping $500 minimum Thrustmaster T300. It's the same build as my Driving Force GT and I ain't spending that much on a wheel. Yet.
I caved. I've ordered the Thrustmaster T300RS and paid $500 for it. My older wheel needs some fancy security chip fitted to make it compatible with a PS4 and Logitech have said nope, that won't happen. They aren't even committing to making peripheral's for next generation consoles at this stage. I won't play a racing game without a wheel so yeah, I ordered it thinking that it's the only force feedback job on the market and is a quality build.
If anyone's interested, I have a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel for PS3 and eight games for sale now! PM me if you're interested. ;)

I've never played a car sim at home with a wheel (alas I'm an xbox fanboi and cannot purchase yours).

We used to go to the bowling alley to play daytona all th etime, I love the car games !!!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've never played a car sim at home with a wheel (alas I'm an xbox fanboi and cannot purchase yours).

We used to go to the bowling alley to play daytona all th etime, I love the car games !!!
Whilst waiting for a movie to start at the cinema, my wife and I had a fang on Sega Rally and Daytona. I can safely say that a well set up wheel in your home is tons better than the arcade setup and thats saying something as I reckon the Daytona setup is still bloody awesome. POSM has a good setup for his steering wheel at home; he sits it on the ironing board! ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
Same here, and I do fine enough. Completed all of GranTurismo6 on my PS3 with just hand controller. That includes the Vettel challenges which were warp speed stuff.

PM me a price Dozer for car setup?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Picked up a PS4 the other week in anticipation for Bloodborne. The Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 spiritual successor.

Stupidly hard game, and in a lot of ways the Souls games are actually better... but damn is it pretty.
The environments are pretty incredible, and the faster combat style is refreshing. But I'm waiting on some updates before I go back to it... the frame pacing performance issues it has is detrimental to the game, along with the long load times. In a game where death is frequent, you kinda get sick of looking at the load screens all the time.

Also been playing my way through the PS4 version of GTA V, as well as a ton of GTA Online... just completed all the multiplayer heists with friends, with relatively minimal fuss.

Picked up the PS4 re-release of Dark Souls II last week (containing graphical enhancements + all the DLC, new enemy layout, and more enemy in general, new items and new item locations)... it feels familiar, but fresh enough to be interesting again, plus I never got around to playing the DLC on my PC copy. Having a great time with it, trying out a sorcery class this time around, as I normally go for a high strength 'tank' kind of build.
Certainly different being the dude that sits back and flings magic everywhere!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Whilst waiting for a movie to start at the cinema, my wife and I had a fang on Sega Rally and Daytona. I can safely say that a well set up wheel in your home is tons better than the arcade setup and thats saying something as I reckon the Daytona setup is still bloody awesome. POSM has a good setup for his steering wheel at home; he sits it on the ironing board! ;)
The ironing board went a couple of years ago. There's now a proper racing seat setup for the G27 and player 2 gets to use the old Driving Force GT on a handy little $15 fold out wooden bench from bunnings. Works like a charm!

as I reckon the Daytona setup is still bloody awesome.
Daytona was great, the way the shifter was mounted you could really bang the fucker back hard in 2nd and drift those long corners with the accelerator nailed.

I go well enuff with the hand controller, just reckon twould be more fun with the steering wheel.

Had a go of the driving simulator at the easter show once, unreal fun

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Dick Smith had a one day online sale the other week so I bought a g27. A mate and I fanged around on GT5 on his PS3 (he can't be bothered waiting for the GT6 update, and it crashes half way through). It's definitely good fun with the wheel but the shift stick's a bit light and it's very easy to annoyingly be left in neutral when GT decides you missed a perfectly good shift. I'm PC based, what are the games I should be looking at getting?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Dick Smith had a one day online sale the other week so I bought a g27. A mate and I fanged around on GT5 on his PS3 (he can't be bothered waiting for the GT6 update, and it crashes half way through). It's definitely good fun with the wheel but the shift stick's a bit light and it's very easy to annoyingly be left in neutral when GT decides you missed a perfectly good shift. I'm PC based, what are the games I should be looking at getting?
For racing?
Look directly at iRacing (www.iracing.com). It's online only, and subscription-based... but if you want realism and competitive racing (even real world drivers use it for practice), it's hard to look past.
You only pay for the content you want to use, as well. Sanctioned races, and open practice events, car tuning (once you get past Rookie class), leaderboards... uses your real name and you even carry a safety rating which increases or decreases depending on how clean you drive.

Increase to a certain point by the end of the season and you go up a rank, meaning access to more powerful cars, and better opponents (but you can still race any lower class races).
Decrease too far and you rank down, because you're clearly not ready to run with the big boys.

The website can feel a little convoluted when you first get into it, but once you figure it all out it's all good.

Otherwise, look at Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2.

wasted hours yesterday playing saints row 1

was a lousy morning and driving on the footpath soothed the savage beast

so much so that the zombies wandering around the shopping mall in dead rising were safe from unprovoked chainsawing and zom surfing

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hey POSM, I got my Thrustmaster T300RS today and set it up for a quick fang on F1 2014. Now, the Driving Force I've been using is exceptional but this thing is wow, big wow. It's a bigger circumference wheel, heavier by a mile and feels really nice and linear. If you get to the point where you want a PS4 wheel then yep, jump at it. I paid $500 from Skycomp online and it was delivered in two business days.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Hey POSM, I got my Thrustmaster T300RS today and set it up for a quick fang on F1 2014. Now, the Driving Force I've been using is exceptional but this thing is wow, big wow. It's a bigger circumference wheel, heavier by a mile and feels really nice and linear. If you get to the point where you want a PS4 wheel then yep, jump at it. I paid $500 from Skycomp online and it was delivered in two business days.
Is it backwards compatible? The best fun I have on driving games is still two player split-screen on Gran Turismo, Grid Autosport and NASCAR 2014 which means any wheel I buy would have to be compatible with the PS3 because I'll be fucked if I'm swapping them out every time I want to change platform.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that somebody somewhere will create a dodgy USB security chip that will allow 3rd gen wheels to be used with 4th gen consoles. It can't be rocket science.

Stop fucking around hackers and get cracking. There's money to be made!

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Porbably stretching it here based on the population of these forums, but does anybody follow the League of Legends pro series'?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Good to know. I take it you can still put the f1 wheel on it too?
I know there's a Ferrari F1 wheel available for it and I do know of another Thrustmaster wheel that goes onto it so as long as it binds with the electric point, she's a goer!
I've done a fair few races using this wheel now and it's amazing, I really love it. I can't wait for Project Cars and F1 2015 in the coming months on PS4.