The GoPro HD All You Need To Know Thread

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May have already been covered here, but I have scoured the net for a simple solution to improving the quality of the footage recorded using a the chesty mount. I have found the few times I have used this both for Moto X and riding the footage is a little shaky. I have seen many clips both here, youtube and vimeo where the footage is almost without the shakes. I have tightened the straps as tight as is comfortable, and have installed the rubber mount as well. Was just wondering whether anyone has some simple yet effective tips on getting better quality footage? There seems to be just too many on the net, and many of which are not bicycle related.

May have already been covered here, but I have scoured the net for a simple solution to improving the quality of the footage recorded using a the chesty mount. I have found the few times I have used this both for Moto X and riding the footage is a little shaky. I have seen many clips both here, youtube and vimeo where the footage is almost without the shakes. I have tightened the straps as tight as is comfortable, and have installed the rubber mount as well. Was just wondering whether anyone has some simple yet effective tips on getting better quality footage? There seems to be just too many on the net, and many of which are not bicycle related.
How are you attaching the GoPro to the chest mount?

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Render Settings

Okay so ive used my gopro many a times with varying results. I have a terrible memory and can never remember what render settings i used last :/

Recently tried to edit some footage i filmed on a cloudy day, the raw footage is of decent quality but i rendered it in a WMV format HD 720 - 30p and the quality was shocking. mucked around with the wmv format for a while with no success. did some googeling and was told that an avi file type was best. rendered no worries (with a file the was 52mb big! Yikes! :faint:) Tried to play it but my poor little laptop cant handle the file! transferred it to my desktop and still no luck playing it let alone uploading it!

so what im looking for is a render setting that is decent quality but isnt going to take over my computer :/ any suggestions on what you guys use? Also use Sony Vegas as my video editor.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How are you attaching the GoPro to the chest mount?
Using the GoPro Chesty Mount with the camera mounted upside down, and just use the bolt supplied by gopro to attach it. I also have squeezed the small white rubber sur-clip in the base of the attachment to reduce feedback noise and creaking/cracking noises.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Protune?

Is Protune only for serious editors?

I use a class 6 micro sd card and use cineform/windows movie maker for all my editing so not sure if Protune will help or not?

Cheers.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Is Protune only for serious editors?

I use a class 6 micro sd card and use cineform/windows movie maker for all my editing so not sure if Protune will help or not?

Cheers.
My understanding is that unless you're doing some high level editing, you can do without it.

ucangetme1

Likes Bikes
You tube detects shaky video and offers to run stabilization software through it... it works well , but reduces overall quality.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You tube detects shaky video and offers to run stabilization software through it... it works well , but reduces overall quality.
but also can make the video trippy as hell.
had a chesty through a rock garden, and camera was shaky as i was all over the place and it was rough.
did the youtube stabilizer. and my god i thought i was high trying to re watch it.

Gopros main rival is now gone. will there be even more GoPros?

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Just ordered my Hero 3 Silver. Held off for a while, then looked at a Contour HD, then Hero 2, but the Wifi and the downloadable app saw me swayed to the 3.

$335 shipped from the US on ebay. Santa has also got me one of these:

View attachment 250729

...in a less gnarly colour
Many people using the lazer helmets with the mounts? How do they go?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't read through this thread so this might have already been covered but there is a huge update to the gopro app out. Lets you not only control the gopro and see what you're shooting but now you can go back into the memory card and view any files you have recorded. You can also save the files onto your phone directly to upload to the web or whatever. Makes the LCD backpack redundant.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone had issues with their Gopro Hero 3 Black with the video lagging behind the sound? I have done some research, and found that apparently if you don't have the correct micro card in the camera, this can happen. I checked mine and I have the correct '10 speed' or which ever. Also found that apparently if you film in real high quality, unless you have a powerful computer to play it back on, you can get this lag? Just curious whether anyone else has noticed it on theirs, and or fixed the problem or knows the cause?

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had issues with their Gopro Hero 3 Black with the video lagging behind the sound? I have done some research, and found that apparently if you don't have the correct micro card in the camera, this can happen. I checked mine and I have the correct '10 speed' or which ever. Also found that apparently if you film in real high quality, unless you have a powerful computer to play it back on, you can get this lag? Just curious whether anyone else has noticed it on theirs, and or fixed the problem or knows the cause?
I had this same problem but with my GoPro Hero 2. I previously had a 4 class sdhc card (below the recommended card), then to solve the problem I wacked in a 6 class sdhc. Voila!

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
footage is a little shaky. I have seen many clips both here, youtube and vimeo where the footage is almost without the shakes. I have tightened the straps as tight as is comfortable, and have installed the rubber mount as well. Was just wondering whether anyone has some simple yet effective tips on getting better quality footage?
Same. Which is why I stopped using my chest mount a while ago.

Something to consider is whether or not you're wearing armour underneath as this could make it slide up and down rapidly whilst strapped on. I will take it out again today and give it a run without my body armour. Can't remember if I've used my chesty without armour on but this will show the result.

I'll reply post-shred.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Hi all, just got a go-pro silver edition and am looking at getting a mount to throw it on my helmet. Not sure if I want a chest mount just yet and thought I would give this a go.. Will just be used for trail riding, not downhill or anything steep.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/GoPro-Camera-Vented-Helmet-Strap-Mount

Has anybody had much luck with this style of mount? Will get the propper Go-pro one unless there is a better solution out there?

Cheers,

Nick

willsy01

Eats Squid
Yep......got one and used it once. The perspective from that high is all wrong as far as i'm concerned.

Got the chest mount and it's way better.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi all, just got a go-pro silver edition and am looking at getting a mount to throw it on my helmet. Not sure if I want a chest mount just yet and thought I would give this a go.. Will just be used for trail riding, not downhill or anything steep.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/GoPro-Camera-Vented-Helmet-Strap-Mount

Has anybody had much luck with this style of mount? Will get the propper Go-pro one unless there is a better solution out there?

Cheers,

Nick
Try a chest mount. Much more comfortable and better perspective in my opinion. I had helmet mounts and always found my helmet moving around because of the extra weight sitting on top.

I use something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camera-Adjustable-Elastic-Body-Chest-Strap-Mount-Belt-for-GoPro-HD-Hero-1-2-3-/310734759123?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item48593c24d3 .... cheap and so far no issues at all.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Had a shred on Saturday and filmed using my GoPro on the chest mount, without body armour underneath. Still getting the same result as with armour. How the fucking fuck do fucking others get fucking smooth footage with their fucking chest mount? I tightened up the bolt really really tight, roughened the surface of the chest mount attachment slots (where the gopro hardcase bit is inserted), and tightened up the straps really really tight aswell. Grrrrrrr.