The hams plan to ride in japan.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
The baconated one is heading to the land of the rising sun for a much needed R&R break. In between work, fires , family members dying, COVID and a plethora of other shite it's been way too long between holidays for the pig....

We have bought tickets to Japan, leaving the 28th arriving in Tokyo late at night on a Thursday.

The plan so far is to hit up friends in Tokyo for a "Half Fast" social ride on saturday and then head to Kyoto to see the parents in law ( in Uji, Kyoto) , via lake Biwa.... I tells you, if autocorrect changes that back to 'Lake View' pigs gunna get all wickety wickety wack (this what all the younglins say) on their R's.

A few calls for help on farkin... oops, rotorburn has shown what an incredible resource this small corner of the internet is....

We have just over four weeks to get ready, and no.... we are not ready...

This thread was suggested by Dales Cannon.. so, blame them. Question away, suggest away..... whatever happens, we can guarantee this will be a nightmare.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only been to Japan once in the winter going again this winter but saw heaps of places and thought that looks like it'd be great to ride but when I checked trail forks looks very limited. So let me know how you go I'd be super keen for a Japan trip. To add insult to injury my Japan trip will have a week in BC/PNW where again I doubt I'll get to ride, stupid winter.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey @Spanky_Ham was it you who posted years ago about leaving a bike unlocked at an airport in Japan when leaving (assuming someone would take it) and coming back a year later and it was still there? I'm sure I remember reading that on here, and thought it was you... Got a mate going on a riding trip there soon and want to send him a screenshot of that anecdote!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Nah, wasn't us.. we went to Japan for a three week holiday.. came back 9 years later married...

I guess if you search around, there's a thread and maybe a video from that

But now, we're older fatter, stupider.....

S

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you are looking to mountain bike, Iwatake in Hakuba has some trails. It looks to be more family fun than balls to the wall freeride.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Sugar... just realised initial post fails to mention that we're going to be riding from tokyo to kyoto, to see the parents in law.... and it's been a shit load of time since we've ridden this far in this short a time....

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
OK, well, with a month (and one day you freakn pedants) left to go... a quick assessment. We had a few rides this weekend, almost 200km in two days. (oof, yeah, the elevation wasn't great.. but... live in flatland) .. and yeah, this is going to be a ..... (insert snark here)

A few things to concider.....

1) we needs a rear light that will attach to a rear rack that doesnt have any light attachment accessorie thingy-ba-jigs, we have a helmet light that goes... flash flash flash... but, more is better.

Two-ish )Hydration.... mmm, can only fit small bottles with the frame bag we came across, but nothing stopping a bit more water being carried elsewhere.

3+) if we can mount the sleeping bag and the tent on the 'deck' of the rear deck... that would be so sweet. May have to invest in some ROK straps... better move earlier than later and look better than okky straps....

hmmm, thought that list would be longer and worse......

s

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Do you have the fork mounted water bottles?

If not, surely tek screws and duct tape are your friend.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
OK, well, with a month (and one day you freakn pedants) left to go... a quick assessment. We had a few rides this weekend, almost 200km in two days. (oof, yeah, the elevation wasn't great.. but... live in flatland) .. and yeah, this is going to be a ..... (insert snark here)

A few things to concider.....

1) we needs a rear light that will attach to a rear rack that doesnt have any light attachment accessorie thingy-ba-jigs, we have a helmet light that goes... flash flash flash... but, more is better.

Two-ish )Hydration.... mmm, can only fit small bottles with the frame bag we came across, but nothing stopping a bit more water being carried elsewhere.

3+) if we can mount the sleeping bag and the tent on the 'deck' of the rear deck... that would be so sweet. May have to invest in some ROK straps... better move earlier than later and look better than okky straps....

hmmm, thought that list would be longer and worse......

s
light... may need some drillium

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Do you have the fork mounted water bottles?

If not, surely tek screws and duct tape are your friend.
Nah, the revolt only has one threaded insert in the fork..... thought about this route... but honestly... we will be carrying ~800mL in bottle cages and the rest in storage.... Big issue us fat farkineers have is glugging enough water to keep up with our fat arses sweating it all out....

a thought, unlike Aus, Japan has vending machines and convenience stores eeeeverywhere... and they are not stupid expensive.
No, you are correct. We lived in Japan for, lets say 10 years, but see above and we, eco friendly pig and all that.....

we have google street viewed a small stretch of possible route and yeah, if your more than a few hundred meters from a vending machine in japan, youve drifted into the middle of an ocean.

S

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Nah, the revolt only has one threaded insert in the fork..... thought about this route... but honestly... we will be carrying ~800mL in bottle cages and the rest in storage.... Big issue us fat farkineers have is glugging enough water to keep up with our fat arses sweating it all out....

No, you are correct. We lived in Japan for, lets say 10 years, but see above and we, eco friendly pig and all that.....

we have google street viewed a small stretch of possible route and yeah, if your more than a few hundred meters from a vending machine in japan, youve drifted into the middle of an ocean.

S
Do you have any aversion to a camelback style pack? 3 litres on the back should get you between each intermediate sprint.

Regarding lights, many can attach to a gopro mount. Sure, you may still be attaching the gopro mount with zip ties, but that will remain in place for the duration.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yeah, would rather avoid the drillium.... cant find a solution for the silly rack we have.... there must be something (that doesnt involve a hot glue gun and zip ties)

S
Topeak: "Say no more Fam..."

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
May have to invest in some ROK straps... better move earlier than later and look better than okky straps....
I've not had experience with ROK straps however these Grunt straps available from your local Saturday sausage dealer are a great alternative to the ever popular, overpriced Voile straps.

Plus they are available in a few different lengths for all your bondage needs.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I've not had experience with ROK straps however these Grunt straps available from your local Saturday sausage dealer are a great alternative to the ever popular, overpriced Voile straps.

Plus they are available in a few different lengths for all your bondage needs.
I was going to suggest the same. Bought a few of these.

Next time I'm sussing out the sausages I will buy some more.