The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

homsey

Likes Bikes
check it

my HT i rode in whistler for 2010

i love riding ht downhill but the knees are beat up from the constant batering

im getting old so im on a dually now but to all you guys riding HTs on gnarly terrain

RESPECT!!!

Attachments

naikon

Cannon Fodder
i've just gotten back from a trip to nz, i'l see how i go with the forsales section.

the only problem i can see is that i'm 6ft3, and most of the bikes posted are small frames, any suggestions ?

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
im about 6"1 and i bought a small sasquatch and im lovin it. i think it suits me fine. are med frames hard to find?? how was nz?

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've sold my Supreme, so I'm back do DHing on my hardtail (no longer a .243, now a STP). At moment I have Argyle 409s on there. They go pretty hard and are stupid stiff but still surprisingly plush through the (short) 100mm travel.

What do you guys think about using either them vs coil pikes? Preferably people who know Pikes. Most of my riding is street/trail but I'll dabble with it DH (very) occasionally. This means that for 90% of my riding the Argyles are excellent, its more a matter of can Pikes perform as well as the Pikes for XC/trail/street and do better at DH?

I see these points:
  • 140mm of Pikes may be nicer for DH
  • Argyles may be stiffer/stronger
  • 140mm might slacken the head angle a touch
  • Coil Pikes could be smoother for DH (but Argyles are still real buttery through travel)

Keeping in mind that they both weigh about the same (Air 100mm argyles vs coil 140mm pikes), and that Argyles are marketed as a FR fork, pikes are 'trail'.

Last edited: