The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

fairy1

Banned
My rebuilt DH HT :)

I'm interested to see how it goes on the rough stuff, from a short ride around the block it feels pretty good, guess time will tell.
Nice rim choice, very light and pretty damn strong for a DS rim.
Very solid looking bike but the Fox forks look a bit nuts.

will74

Likes Bikes
Haha kompressors give you a bit of bang for your huck eh. but i'm trying to set it up for dh it takes a bit of money any ideas??

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone in this thread have a dh bike? but still uses there ht for dh to help get them smoother?

Just curious and abit bored.

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
Does anyone in this thread have a dh bike? but still uses there ht for dh to help get them smoother?

I had an 08' Atomik but I sold it to build up a hardtail simply because I think I need a year to get back to basics.

fairy1

Banned

I have a DH bike, I ride my hardtail because my DH bike broke doing what I did on my hardtail, hmm that was confoosing. My DH bike will be working soon but I will keep riding hardtails as I find it way more fun.
I don't know if a hardtail really helps your skill level at all, If you ride a dually flat out you are aiming to skip over rough sections not looking at finding a smooth line as they aren't always the fastest. I think if your mates ride duallys and you have to learn keep up with them whilst on your HT that will help you up your skills very quickly.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't come in these parts much but..

Built something canandian today. It's very circa 2003.. Does anyone have a cheap bolt up 48h 24'' wheel that I could have for very little money?

Pictures to come.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Round 2 of the annual King Of Ballarat race was held at Black Hill over the weekend.

From memory, there were about 100 riders spread over A,B,C,D, U15, Womens.

Guess who won A grade? Yep, Dave Habicht on an STP. A good second above 2nd place too. Damn he was quick...

And yeah, that's me in the background.

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i just raced for the first time on a hardtail, and it was awesome, i raced king of ballarat round 2, best fun :) brappPPppPPpPpppP

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
my dually is gone so im goin back to ht's for a while. building a sasquatch should be ready for round 3 of kob.
few cables ties, bitting grinding and hammering came up with this

Attachments

Last edited:

Brodie10

Likes Bikes
Sunshine Series!

Great Thread, good to know lots of other hardtailers exist...but where the hell are you at races? Major lack of people at this years QLD sunshine series!

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
2010 NSW/ACT DH Series

Same for our series (2 riders, 1 junior round 1, 1 senior round 3) and champs (1 junior 2 senior) thinking of either running one hardtail class or dropping hardtail all together in 2011.

InvadingFear

Likes Bikes
im riding a 2007 havoc atm with stock marzocchi dj4 forks, basically everything is stock except the 750mm da bomb handle bars and da bomb pedals. Its in the lbs atm getting juicy 3's put on it coz i absolutely rooted the hayes mx4 on the front and the tektro vbrake on the back at fox last time i was up there...what would youse reccomend in terms of upgrades? or would it be easier to save up a bit and get a shore hardtail or something?

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
thought id kick start this thread again by showing you guys what ive done to my ht. its the grey sasquatch from a few posts back. since then ive painted it, 66's and short cage x9. hopefully chuck some new brakes on it soon. having a blast riding it after selling the dually

Attachments

I used to use a cannondale chase hardtail for DH. Only when i was first getting into it.
That was only because it was the 1 bike i had access to. Now i use a Norco team DH :D It is so much prettier and a lot nicer to ride. Possibly because it's a dually. haha

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
I used to use a cannondale chase hardtail for DH. Only when i was first getting into it.
That was only because it was the 1 bike i had access to. Now i use a Norco team DH :D It is so much prettier and a lot nicer to ride. Possibly because it's a dually. haha
Hardtail pride or GTFO!

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
the motivational poster a few pages back says it all: im not poor, i just have a big dick. i think i could confidently say i could smash quite a few duallys down a hill anyway as could most of the ht riders in this thread

naikon

Cannon Fodder
hey guys, i'm looking to get into DH riding which means i'm looking for a bike and i need your help.

i'm not a first timer, im looking for something really cheap $500~ just to bash around for a few months until some money can be saved.

i've been checking up on ebay/gumtree but nothing decent is up.

suggestions :) ?