The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wear your shinnies kids.
I never ride without em, at least when I'm using flats with 5.10's. Clips for the win guys, I can actually (usually) get them out faster than flats, also pretty easy to get out in mid air. Everytime I have had to bail with clips I have landed unclipped, even really quick OTBs on singletrack.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
Hey guys - my name's Nat, I'm pretty new to the whole MTB caper (ridden bmx since I was 13, 25 now and still doing it)

I have a 2nd hand Diamondback Compression hardtail which I know isn't super suited to downhill, but my main question is in regards to the forks.

It has the standard Marzocchi DJ3's on it, and while I know they aren't meant for downhill I was wondering if there us anything I should be mindful of when using them? The finances don't allow for an upgrade at this point, but I also don't want to have the forks blow out from underneath me either! Any hints on riding style/biek prep would be appreciated!

Cheers guys, sorry for the longwinded post but thank you for the inspiration!

Tye

Likes Dirt
I raced with dj3's for a while, and the only problem I had was that I snapped my front axle once:eek:. That was a 9mm though, if you have a 20mm then you won't have that problem. I'm not sure if you'll have any other problems

smitty_jr

Likes Dirt
I have a 2nd hand Diamondback Compression hardtail which I know isn't super suited to downhill, but my main question is in regards to the forks.

It has the standard Marzocchi DJ3's on it, and while I know they aren't meant for downhill I was wondering if there us anything I should be mindful of when using them? The finances don't allow for an upgrade at this point, but I also don't want to have the forks blow out from underneath me either! Any hints on riding style/biek prep would be appreciated!
hey, almost any fork will hold up whilst your still new to the DH scene when riding a HT, when i was on my Gt Chucker, i was running 100mm marzocchi mx comp forks, with quick release axle which held up sufficiently untill you get to a point where you bottom out bump after bump.
After advancing maybe consider an old 2nd hand pair of 66's or 36's.

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Hey man I am just starting out and I am running the DJ2s that came stock on my STP (Yes yes, I know an STP, I'm such a bad person :p).

But they seem to hold up alright haven't bottomed out yet and I am what some would describe as "robust"

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, not too concerned about performance as such, more worried about having them disintegrate underneath me - but if they are tough enough they are tough enough!

Downhill Hooligan

Likes Bikes
norco 125

hey guys i have a 06 model norco 125 and i was wonderin whether it would be a good i dea to just make adjustments like downhill forks and stuff or get a downhill hardtail frame and build or buy one any suggestions?

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Hey,

Im not sure about the geometry but with changing things like forks length it can weaken the frame by changing the angle. Im sure someone else can enlighten you further just a little heads up sharing what I know.

Cheers

joshrides

Likes Dirt
Hey,

Im not sure about the geometry but with changing things like forks length it can weaken the frame by changing the angle. Im sure someone else can enlighten you further just a little heads up sharing what I know.

Cheers
lol? how would putting differant forks on your bike weaken your frame ? sure, putting forks on a bike they arent made to suit may snap your headtube (eg.. triples on a STP) but if you have a 125 you should be able to get away with some single crown forks that dont have an abundance of travel.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mad bike big hair how much did it cost u.

P.S. where can i get one:D:D
If you are talking about this one:

that I posted on page one, its pretty sweet, but its not mine. My bike is better :p (although still a .243). The old one is the one later in the thread (pg 4) and my current one is this one. We all know Zyphryss has the cooler DH HT :p

I'm not exactly going to share how much it cost but it was a fair bit (I haven't added it all up yet). It's getting the LG1 on it tomorrow along with an X.9 shifter and a shortcage. Its a pity, I just sold a frame exactly like it except the BB, bargain too.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can help on this I think.

Changing your forks length does not weaken your frame. However, if you are using a longer fork length than what the frame is designed for, obviously the headtube angle decreases due to a longer axle to crown length. This results in more stress being placed just behind the headtube whilst riding, potentially leading to a breakage.

If you want to avoid this, ride a hardtail that is long-travel specific, or at the least long-travel compliant (by this I mean has a range of travel tolerances, such as the Jamis Komodo).

I am currently riding a Jamis Komodo with Lyriks up the front - regularly changing the travel from 115-160mm. The Komodo is designed for 100-160mm travel at the front, therefore I get away with it and do not risk snapping anything. Whereas if I was to put these travel forks on say, an STP, the slackened headtube angle as a result of a longer axle to crown length will put excessive stress on the headtube, and likely snap.

Hope that helps :)

They're all so young!

Last edited:

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
no, it is not the slacker head angle that causes the head tube to snap it is the extra axel to crown length of longer travel forks gives exta leverage and therfore extra stress on the head tube

Toff

Likes Dirt
no, it is not the slacker head angle that causes the head tube to snap it is the extra axel to crown length of longer travel forks gives exta leverage and therfore extra stress on the head tube
Wait, what?

Longer A2C length = Slacker H/A.

I very proudly rode a STP"DH" for a long time, 2.5" kendas, pikes and a super low seat. I loved riding this bike as a downhiller more than any other, it was the best in tight techy corners any you would try any hit. well it was good untill I tore the rear wheel out in a rock garden!!
Hardtailers get respect!

The DMR that is triple friendly is meant to be the go, (unbreakable?!)

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bighair,
I really really really hope that your seat is only that high because its on the workstand..:p

I'm honestly considering taking my seat off entirely when i ride DH on my hardtail, find it has no use other than a testicle crusher.
WHAT?! do you have no testicles at all!? there is a great big hole in the frame for a reason, for a SEAT.
Even if you do not sit on the thing, the seat is still very important on a hardtail.
Because of the lack of rear movement the back end tends to bounce all over the shop when the going gets nasty. By gripping the seat with your thighs you are able to manover/flick the bike around obstacles and rough terrain, its also gives you protection when thing go shitty... I can just see the headline, 'man rapped by his own bike in a horrific accident.' ;) not good....:eek:

Last edited:

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
Wait, what?

Longer A2C length = Slacker H/A.
yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with that.:p
I was just saying that it is not the slacker head angle which makes it more likely to snap, but....
the longer axel to crown length gives extra leverage to snap the headtube
yes a longer axel to crown will give a slacker head angle:D