The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

Toff

Likes Dirt
I was just saying that it is not the slacker head angle which makes it more likely to snap
Since the slacker H/A and longer A2C length go hand in hand, then they're equally responsible for increased stress in the head tube. Right?

just because someone goes out and buys a glory doesnt mean theyre instantly fast... i wish this was the case! then i could go out and buy a demo and be like sam hill:p

ps. not to talk myself up but one of my friends also has a glory, and i truly shit all over his race times on an 08 sasquatch!
:cool:
eg. 4:10 versus 4:30 :)
Yeah, Not to Brag but i do the same thing on my 08 Sasquatch, My Mate has a 10 inch travel bike and he still gets his ass kicked by me.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Had to work, RTBIAD tomorrow so one of the busiest days of the year. I'll be there at 8ish tomorrow though!

You alright Nick? We sold a helmet to a guy this week who totalled his THE carbon on the double rock drop :eek: Pretty scary stuff, won't see me taking that A line!

my_bike

Likes Dirt
Had to work, RTBIAD tomorrow so one of the busiest days of the year. I'll be there at 8ish tomorrow though!

You alright Nick? We sold a helmet to a guy this week who totalled his THE carbon on the double rock drop :eek: Pretty scary stuff, won't see me taking that A line!
Yeah I was fine, Just alittle cuts and bruises. But I did it aggain so im fine for tomorrow. My parents insisted on bory armour so now I will look like I have been pumping iron.

See you tomorrow.

fairy1

Banned
Well I have been waiting forever for my dream DH HT and it will be arriving soon but I don't really need it anymore. It is all custom geo, made from butted US made CR-MO with 1.5-1 1/8" Acros(German) headset and all made to my specs in OZ. Would anyone want to buy such a beast or should I keep it?

fairy1

Banned
dunno yet I'm about to find out what it will cost me and a few hundred will come off that.

These are the measurements-
These are about the measurements I am after-

585mm top tube

350mm seat tube 73 deg seat angle

Top tube dropped 30mm from top of seat tube

405-430mm adjustable chain stays with clearance for 2.5" tire with some mud on it

115mm headtube at 65deg my forks are 590mm axle to crown and I'm after around a 340mm BB height, my current bike is around 355mm without sag.

That's what the builder is working to and the Headtube is a custom CNC'd jobbie.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't sell it, make it a project bike!

You're Corsairs amazing, but to be able to take out the hardtail to places like GR where the dually is completely unnecessary, would make riding so much more enjoyable.

fairy1

Banned
Don't sell it, make it a project bike!

You're Corsairs amazing, but to be able to take out the hardtail to places like GR where the dually is completely unnecessary, would make riding so much more enjoyable.
But I still have the On-One, however I may sell the On-One frame and forks to fund the new frame.

My Corair is average at best, the quality of manufacture is rubbish, it has no name bearings everywhere. You have to undo a linkage to get the shock in as the bolt fitting/removal hole through the frame doesn't line up, the linkages also hit each other before the shock fully extends which is annoying. Also the pinch bolts on the HT is a stupid idea as it creates a weak point and lets dirt in.

I will be changing all the bearings in the arse end very soon, I have already changed the idler gear bearings.

Would I buy it again if I knew all the flaws? For sure!

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dunno yet I'm about to find out what it will cost me and a few hundred will come off that.

These are about the measurements I am after-

115mm headtube at 65deg my forks are 590mm axle to crown and I'm after around a 340mm BB height, my current bike is around 355mm without sag.
Nice geo, but what the hell forks do you have? 590AC is crazy!
Also, when you get it and all, and if you are still looking at selling it I may just buy it... or it could be that I love my .243 too much. It's performing sooo well at the moment. If only I could sell a few more things I'd buy back that SL frame and get a second, ligher one, up and running.

I've gotten much better in the last month or two, so I'm going to try and take a camera on this weeks ride and find something new to hit. I'm still pretty wussy when it comes to jumps on the old hardtail, but a new riding buddy should sort that (not cause of competition, but cause I can follow him in with the right speed n all, makes me so much more comfortable for the first time). Done a couple of decent drops now. Been tempted by 2.5m+ drops to flat, but I don't wanna break my ankles. ~10 has been cleared with a lander though, going to go bigger this weekend if I can find a bigger one.

Still loving the hardtail. I'm going to take it to a real track next week though, and that might be a different story... Worst thing about it is through rough sections I seem to be fine at the start then fade away into holding on for dear life (gotta go back to clips), I have had a few times when I've gotten most of the technique right and almost 'pinned it', but I gotta keep my farkin focus! Goddamit, just keeping focus through the rough stuff and then I'll really begin to be compedative.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gonna be taking the HT out at Kurrajong tomorrow, should be good, except for the steep rocky lander/chute/drop.

camtb

Likes Dirt
Whose racing national champs for hardtaill???
I am, anyone racing junior hardtail?
Should be sickk, eagles such a fun/hard track for hardtails!

Ayko

Squid
Hey guys!
Firstly, I ride an Avanti Derelikt Type 3 :D
Looks like this:

Not my exact one though...

My front tire runs on about 20-25 back is round 20 psi
Got a DJ tyre on the front, XC on the back, which proves useless when slowing down! :mad:

Forks are Mantou Gold Label Jump Series (Slight defect....they dont adjust at all! Problem in the forks since I got it)
$70 to get them fixed and 1 and 1/2 weeks without them.....>.<

I ride a ht because.....well I'm in year 8 and I can't afford anything else!
Hahaha

Also, would you guys happen to know any trails/jumps around the Warrandyte (East suburbs on vic) area?
I live there and need to go exploring some time!

09Ryde

Likes Dirt
I was wondering if there us anything I should be mindful of when using them?
i dh a noroc ryde with dj3's and they run fine...never bottomed them out an there really robust:p

camtb

Likes Dirt
I had the same derlict as that, wach out for cracks around the headtube, I crcked mine and I didn't even notice, was lcky enough to take it in to the bikeshop to get gears tuned and they noticed it, so lucky I didn't ride it ahha

camtb

Likes Dirt
I use manitou gold label dirt jumpers for downhill, there solid, but the pring is way too firm, I've only ever gotten through 3/4 travel, and thats on the roughest track in South Australia, other than the springs,and lack of adjustment, there great forks

Ayko

Squid
I had the same derlict as that, wach out for cracks around the headtube, I crcked mine and I didn't even notice, was lcky enough to take it in to the bikeshop to get gears tuned and they noticed it, so lucky I didn't ride it ahha
D=
That would not be good!

What would be the next step up from that?