The hardtail riding thread

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No.. Depends what the air side does specifically.. Normally if there is no air, the forks would become just the springs rate of progression, with no help of compression.

I'd take it to the LBS..
Though marzocchi's have the an air and a coil side. I just remember reading somewhere that having no air makes the forks seize. Though this makes no sense.

It's probably the spring that has shat itself.

2010 Atomlab stuff
The cranks look interesting, "hybrid" mtb/bmx cranks. And you can get them in both bmx sprocket and mtb sprocket designs.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Though marzocchi's have the an air and a coil side. I just remember reading somewhere that having no air makes the forks seize. Though this makes no sense.

It's probably the spring that has shat itself.
:(

my mates dj2s have done the same thing, now this guys, and i have dj 2s...

not looking forward to stripping them down come seizure time...

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread is getting me so stoked on hardtails, I love it!

Such a great place to find out useful info too.

Here are the first few snaps I got once I reverted to riding a hardtail, having a play around;

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A reason why not to go Marzochhi ;)
Im really wishing i either went rock shox or manitou, marzocchi seem crap these days...

i swapped my shermans for a pair of psylos with ango, with an extra firm spring, which would have worked well, but i already bought my dj 2's:(

so i sold the psylos to a mate...

i was cut...

kemmis

Likes Dirt
Marzocchi seem to be more consistent in the way they feel, I have found that they always feel pretty much the same whether that be good or bad. My 2 riding buddies both have marzocchi on their dh bikes and one has them on his dj bike, compared to them my boxxers always seem to be feeling different depending on the temperature, which is probably not true just a mental thing, they always feel better than the marzocchi but just change a bit. I cant comment on my argyles yet as i have only really ridden them today.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread is getting me so stoked on hardtails, I love it!

Such a great place to find out useful info too.

Here are the first few snaps I got once I reverted to riding a hardtail, having a play around;

That lawnmower is awesome!

keen to see you do it on a quarter now:)

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im really wishing i either went rock shox or manitou, marzocchi seem crap these days...
It won't make you feel any better, but marzocchi is moving their manufacturing plant back to where it was in pre-2006 days. So quality should rise again.

Not that that will help you.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It won't make you feel any better, but marzocchi is moving their manufacturing plant back to where it was in pre-2006 days. So quality should rise again.

Not that that will help you.
grrrrrrrrrrr, the only decent marz forks i have ridden, have been from 04-05...

stupid lack of quality control...

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to run Marzocchi's back in the pre '06 days, they were generally quite good (disregarding the whole crown cracking thing...).

I used to be able to do them on small (maximum 4ft) quarters on a BMX, with very little extension. Give me lots of time to practise and hopefully they will end up on some decent quarters! I'll tell you what, it is so much easier doing them with brakes!

Daniel J

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, cool thread, thought I would hurl my bike up. Flanges had to go since then because geez the rub on your hands is annoying, but otherwise it is as it sits there i think.
One more question tho, what PSI do those Tiogas go up to if anyone knows?

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i can imagine it would be easier...

have you tried it without brakes?

or do you just skid off the quarter and end up dieing?

what PSI do those Tiogas go up to if anyone knows?
Nice ride dude, ive seen it before, and i remember someone was bagging you out becuase it was a diamond back ey?

punks...

anyways, mine tiogas(fs-100's) are rated for 65 psi...

but i run mine 75ish and they are fine...

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your bike looks a lot of fun Daniel! So many nice hardtails emerging in this thread :)

I used to do them brakeless by running my seat really low (wedge conversion), then jamming my foot between the tyre and the wheel. Essentially an inverse footjam, but with lawnmower action added. Really, really hard to try and time it on a quarter though, flatbank was the only place I could ever pull it.

speaking of marzo'z bein no good, im lookin at gettin rid of my bombers as i find them extremely flexy, and to be honest it scares me and im just waiting for them to snap!
i found a set of '08 Travis single TPC and i was wondering what they're like?
i ride mainly dj/freeride, bit i like to mix it up with some street and dh too? so yeah in other words i ride everything.
Would they suit me or have i got it all wrong?

ps. i ride a Norco Sasquatch

Last edited:

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Street on a sasquatch??? What's that like??? Interesting is all I can come up with....

Fork Wise, some Fox Vanilla's would probably suit well being a bigger travel bike and all???

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a ride today at the bowl, and there is this awesome rail set at the other end of the park...

a bunch of us went down there, sussed out a rail hop to pretty much a pile of sticks and mulch lander...

no one except one dude would hit it, so im like bugger it ill give it a crack,
hopped, pooshooted, front wheel slid across the rail, i went over into the pile of shit, bike went flying, and this is all i got:p

Could have gone so bad, but i was lucky:)

ima go and hit it up again on monday, hopefully all goes well...

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't forget to take pictures of this rail hop tyler! Is it super gnar?
or some pissy skatepark rail, the ones that are like a foot high? :p

Street on a sasquatch wouldn't be that bad, you'd just have to huck it a bit more.

But yeah, you want some longer travel forks. Pikes/lyriks/revelations, Fox Van's/floats/talas's, Marzocchi 55's/66's. All depends on how hard you ride and how much money you have.

But you'll struggle to find change from $500. If fox's or lyriks are the go, youre looking at $1000+

Who here is from sydney? Wouldn't mind hooking up with a few mtbers and go for a ride in the city. Though, you'd need to put your prejudices aside and let me ride a bmx.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't forget to take pictures of this rail hop tyler! Is it super gnar?
or some pissy skatepark rail, the ones that are like a foot high? :p
i will!

i wouldn't say super gnar, but its not exactly a smooth run in, or run out...

i have to hop the opposite way id like to as well.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This that rail at AC?

You hopping straight over it or from the side?
Fark going OTB after doing that :p.

But then again, I'm only just getting semi-decent at bowl riding :rolleyes:.

Also, if your going riding on monday, might see ya out there.

Last edited: