The last movie you've last watched last

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ok this is in the future, but well worth a mention.

28th and 29th July, 2001 A space odyssey will play in 4K at the Classic Cinemas in Melbourne.

Insane sound system. Great 4K picture.

If you're in Melbs and this is your kinda movie, see you there.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Motion picture film is scanned in with a scanner that works in a similar way to a consumer flat bed scanner

Good scanners are now 8-10k resolution, and in the processing phase at the studio it is down converted to 4K for playback.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
While we're on movie technology. Is Krix as good as its made out to be for home theatre?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Motion picture film is scanned in with a scanner that works in a similar way to a consumer flat bed scanner

Good scanners are now 8-10k resolution, and in the processing phase at the studio it is down converted to 4K for playback.
Sorry, for those paying attention, I'll flesh this out further.

From the beginning of time, until about a decade ago, movies were captured, edited and played back on motion picture film. 24 frames per second of film was shone onto the cinema screen, each frame doubled exposed, and your eyes and brains merged the 48 images into motion. Completely analog.

Along came "digital". Initially quite average. First only used for cameras at the capture stage, then soon used for editing in digital domain, then (while still printed on film for playback), until finally the playback was also digital.

There are scanners that will take an old film negative (or positive) and scan each frame in individually at a high resolution, usually 6k (6144 x 3240 pixels) and then after restoration/retouching/manipulation is down sampled to 4096 x 2160 pixels for playback on a modern digital projector.

Done right, it can look awesome. Done wrong and YouTube will call wanting its video returned from 2001.

In the case of 2001: A space odyssey, a master copy of the print was found, scanned in and cleaned up, and released for limited theatrical playback, with a 4K blueray release planned soon. It's an expensive process, reserved for worthy movies.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Incredibles 2. Really rather good. And the short film before the main feature was more rich and deeper than some other feature films I've seen in my life. Pixar really do know what they're doing.

scblack

Leucocholic
Paper planes. Very good family movie. Enjoyed it.

I saw Incredibles 2 a few weeks ago, agree with Reverend, it’s a good movie.

mtb1611

Seymour
Saw 'Tag' at the cinemas last week, good laugh. The line 'We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing' resonated somewhat!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ready Player One has been released on blu-ray. Managed to miss it at the movies. Can’t wait to see it, is a great book!
It's actually very watchable and well worth seeing. Keep your eyes open for lots of interesting things you grew up with..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw Ant Man and The Wasp yesterday and it's great fun. Marvel really do think about their films positioning and this is great family fun with just enough for this ageing child to feel entertained. Definitely stay 'til the end...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Watched "Fair Game" last night taped from weeks ago about CIA + US Govt corruption + misinformation leading up to the Iraq war giving the US an excuse to attack.
Despite information to the contrary they claimed that Saddam Hussein had WOMD s including centrifuge tubes and weapons grade uranium + biological agents .
Then when the truth was revealed they discredited the whistleblowers , white house people were convicted then pardoned by great patriots like George Bush + Frump.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Speaking of the CIA, I watched Denzel in The Equalizer on Netflix the other night after a mate recommended it - not bad for a one man vs. lots of bad guys story. Certainly not a kids movie though.