The last movie you've last watched last

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Watched Ad Astra the other day... I wanted to like it, but it was... I dunno, just a big confused mess.
Damn, the promo looks good, but in fairness most do anyhow. I am keen to see it.

Was it weirder than Interstellar? Which I had hopes for but lost patience getting to the end of it after two attempts.

I think most Brad Pitt moves should come with a warning of fnar unless Tarantino is involved.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like Interstella...mostly, weird bits, so not perfect.
Ad Astra, was like it was trying to be a scifi action movie, then a "new 2001", then a sole search for god or something. Also seemed like someone went, hey there is a little bit of action in there... so...make it More, more action in those bits, oh and spend ALL the budget on those bits...oh and try to make it super realistic space stuff... oh, unless it won't work with some daft plot point, then don't worry about that, just make it happen...peopel will be asleep by then anyway so they wont notice just how dumb the movie has gotten.

just my opinion though, others could love it.

John U

MTB Precision
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It meanders a bit, but I found Leo and Brad interesting enough to keep watching. The obligatory Tarantino over the top violence is not forgotten.
I enjoyed it. Especially for the inside (Hollywood) glimpse of the 'mundane' day to day life of a stuntman.

Beej1

Watched Ad Astra the other day... I wanted to like it, but it was... I dunno, just a big confused mess.
Saw it last night. It was poorly marketed. They basically got the most exciting space scenes, some shoot-em-up moon rover scenes, and slammed it into a 30 second TV spot (which is what most people see). The trailer, while longer, still doesn't really give you the impression it's the movie it actually is.

I really liked it. Your mentioning of "new2001" is pretty accurate. It's a 2 hour film that feels like a 3 hour film. Lots of long, drawn out scenes. But IMO all of it was quite mesmerizing. The cinematography and music did a good job of making me just sit there and absorb it all. I liked Pitt's performance, and while I normally hate voice overs, I liked his because it was intermixed with poignant flashbacks/flashforwards.

To be honest, coming off the back of 20 Marvel movies, and amidst a plethora of sequels/prequels/reboots of action/adventure/comdey movies that just hammer themselves into your eyeballs ... it was really nice to just sit there in a cinema with so many quiet bits you could hear the air-con, while staring out into truly magnificent imagery of the solar system.

FYI I found the movie to be mostly fantastic from an adherence to physics point of view, except for 2 absolutely glaring omissions, and one not-so-glaring one:
  • The Moon and Mars sequences didn't accurately display gravity (to be fair, even The Expanse doesn't do this - folk walk around Ceres, Eros etc like they're on Earth, when in fact the books say they're spun to about 0.2G so footsteps would be quite long and bouncy). Heck ... they show an escalator on the moon - why in heavens would you ever need an escalator in 0.16G??? And if so, when people got to the top, they should've just gently arced through the air and landed a few feet distant
  • The not-so-glaring one was Pitt's tears in ZeroG. This is one The Expanse did get right - tears just well up and stay stuck to your eyeballs, and then spread out across your eye area from surface tension. But Pitt tears just flowed down his face.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Aura
Stumbled across this (Argentinian, with subtitles) film on SBS On-Demand. Was surprisingly good - if you like quiet slow-burners that is. Twisting, turning pleasingly unpredictable plot that doesn't rush itself.

moorey

call me Mia
I was really bored the other day.
I watch maybe 2 movies a year.
I like sharks.
I watched The Meg.
Still reeling from how epically bad that was.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray at some point. It includes a copy of the Hearts of Darkness doco which I'm interested in seeing now.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Caught up on one. Gone Girl.
Damn it builds up well.

Then indulged in Rambo - Last Blood.
I found it a bit subtle, and it could do with more blood and vengeance...joking.
It's like Taken + John Wick without any wry / dark humour or stylistic elements.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I like Interstella...mostly, weird bits, so not perfect.
Ad Astra, was like it was trying to be a scifi action movie, then a "new 2001", then a sole search for god or something. Also seemed like someone went, hey there is a little bit of action in there... so...make it More, more action in those bits, oh and spend ALL the budget on those bits...oh and try to make it super realistic space stuff... oh, unless it won't work with some daft plot point, then don't worry about that, just make it happen...peopel will be asleep by then anyway so they wont notice just how dumb the movie has gotten.

just my opinion though, others could love it.
Saw Ad Astra yesterday, and agree with your take on it. If it didn't have Pitt in it, it could easily be forgotten as a straight-to-DVD B movie. That's probably a bit harsh but like you say @mik_git, I felt it was just a bunch of plot bubbles strung together but lacking in continuity. The "mayday call" scene being a prime example.

Perhaps it shows that fancy CGI and A-list stars can't save a movie with a mediocre story.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray at some point. It includes a copy of the Hearts of Darkness doco which I'm interested in seeing now.
Heart of darkness is awesome. The descent into madness was going on either side of camera

nathanm

Eats Squid
Watched IT Part 2 on the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it with some genuine jump/scares. Some of the acting was a little off and a few of the scenes suffered pacing issues but didn't feel like nearly 3 hours and a pretty good tribute to the book.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Continuing the Daniel Craig Bond collection with Quantum of Solace. Little bit of work initially to recall all the characters they were referring to.