The New Northbridge Pump Track - Now Open - now with Vids

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Tomas

actually need someone that preferably lives in Northbridge or at least pays rates to the Willoughby Council

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Submission sent. Gave a range of reasons in support as the more benefit Council can see, the more chance it will be approved....

Points from my letter included:
- Dirt jumping and associated skills riding is an extremely popular form of cycling yet one for which purpose built community facilities are seldom provided;
- Providing such a purpose built facility will reduce the extent of illegal trail construction in bushland within the urban fringe, and thus has the benefit of protecting the greater environment;
- To provide a safe environment in which all cyclists regardless of their level of experience can learn and progress their bike handling skill
- Encouraging exercise rates amongst the local community; and
- To encourage an environmentally sustainable form of recreation and transport.

Feel free to use any/all of these in your own responses.

Dave

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to those that know the site...had a chat with the council member yesterday and he also added that maybe we should also consider at some stage a mini dh run down the back of the bmx track that would come out at the golf course...I think one step at a time though, dont want to appear too greedy;)

Ok thanks to Woody and Cuthbert here are a few more points for the letter to the councillors. Let me know if this looks good to everyone, or if there is something that I have missed that you think I should add

- pump tracks ,off road cycling skill parks and associated riding is a fast growing and an extremely popular form of mountain biking yet one for which purpose built facilities are seldom provided.
- Providing such a purpose built facility has the benefit of reducing the extent of illegal trail construction in bushland within the urban fringe which can lead to environmental degradation.
- To provide an environment in which younger or less experienced riders within the community can develop key bike handling skills in a safe environment.
- Encouraging exercise & fitness amongst families in the local community
- To encourage an environmentally sustainable form of recreation and transport in accordance with greenhouse gas reduction strategies;
- To provide a facility where the whole family can participate in the ride
- To provide a base for the local kids/cycling community
- To encourage kids off the streets away from vandalism, anti social behaviour and criminal activities.
- To provide a facility to increase and improve their bike riding skills. Different skills levels makes the track more diverse and challenging for riders as they develop their skills.
- To provide a safe off-road riding facility for all skill levels and ages
- To encourage other types of cycling. Ie. Cross Country (XC), Downhill (DH) and Road Cycling which elevates traffic and pollution issues.
- To provide a facility close to residents homes. Currently to access other tracks around Sydney involves excessive travelling times outside the community or outside of Sydney
- To increase economy for local shops
- To provide a facility to get people out of their homes, off lounges and away from computer games and TV etc.
- To enhance the desirability of the community by adding another useful recreational outlet
- Well designed track will minimise environmental damage to fauna and flora. Will also minimise erosion and minimise need for people to alter track.
- Easily accessible to riders
- Low cost benefit to Council and Community.
- To provide a fun, engaging, satisfying and safe area for riders and spectators
- Low Maintenance as this facility will be constructed using only soil and clay
- Reduce unauthorised access to public and privately owned land and property damage
- Personal benefits to the rider: adventure, challenge, achievement, excitement and stimulation
- Encourages an appreciation of the Australian outdoors including enjoying the Willoughby area’s scenic beauty, and developing an awareness of nature
- Creating friendships and enjoying activities with friends and family members
- Introduction and participation to the Council’s Bushcare Programme. Landscaping this area can consist of planting native plants and bush regeneration. Riders of these facilities are usually happy to volunteer to ensure the area is maintained in pristine condition and pleasing to the eye
- It will deter the dumping of rubbish and weeds in this area
- Users of this area would assist to manage bushland for its aesthetic, recreational, educational and scientific value to the community, and to maximise these values as part of Willoughby’s natural heritage

mattyt

Squid
i'm over 18 & in Castlecrag, why?

i met you on the Friday morning with Adam, & helped out with the roadie who got knocked off his bike during the meeting (opp track) poor bloke.

I haven't sent my letter in but i am going to for sure.

Benefits :
-i can teach my young son/children to ride
-healthy outdoor activity
-keeps the kids off the streets & being mischievous
-prevents kids riding on the road avoiding accidents like we witnessed
(roadie being knocked off during our meeting)
-keep kids from riding on footpaths & no risk to pedestrians
-Junior riders can be supervised by an adult in a central area & therefore safe
-Northbridge has a lot of young families in the community the track can cater for
-Once built , can be a community maintenance thing especially getting kids involved

just some ideas anyway

Matt

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok sorry guys have been slow with the updates recently, but lots has happened

we have sent a letter directly to the the three councilors from a resident and have already had a positive response from 2 of the councilors

This is the content of the letter and we have aslo attached a few pics which included kids & family using a pump track

Dear Councillor

My name is xxxx xxxxx and I reside in Castlecove.

Recently I have made contact with the council to propose some simple upgrades to the BMX track on Sailors Bay Rd at Northbridge (near the tennis courts).

As a competitive cyclist and a resident, who has lived in the area for many years, I was surprised by how much the condition of the track had deteriorated.

On this occasion I was visiting this facility with my friend and his son, and was a little embarrassed by the current state of the area, which did not look fun to ride on a bicycle at all. Not like it used to be a few years ago.

I am writing to you to consider some suggestions for some simple improvements to this facility, especially since more people each day are taking up cycling

There is a new trend for off road cyclists around the world currently, to use what is called a Pump track or off road cycling skills park. These tracks require very little space (the location of the current track is perfect) and these tracks can be used by cyclists of all skill level and ages.

It is a track that can be rode in a continuous loop and if skilful enough, without any pedalling. They consist of small rollers of dirt and berms so are very safe

They build phenomenal skills & fitness, anyone can ride them and are extremely fun. It is a perfect environment to introduce children to the benefits of cycling and off-road cycling

I have attached a few photos to give you an idea of what they look like and how very little work is really required to return this facility into an area the whole family can enjoy again

We can re-use the soil and clay currently on site and the space allocated is more than adequate. I think it would also be a good idea to plant some more trees in this area to improve the appearance of the landscape, regenerate some native flora and to provide shade in later years. At the same time assisting the council with their Bushcare programme.

I believe the area would also benefit with some more shelter and BBQ facilities, further promoting the family environment

I should also mention that I have been able to obtain support from other residents and those in the neighbouring suburbs. I believe that the Parks and Facilities Mgr for the council should have received over 30 letters (via email) of support for this project by now, and most of these people are willing to volunteer their assistance with upgrading this facility. I have also been contacted by companies that professionally construct these facilities wanting to get involved at minimal costs.

Below are some key benefits that this facility will provide to the community

· pump tracks ,off road cycling skill parks and associated riding is a fast growing and an extremely popular form of mountain biking yet one for which purpose built facilities are seldom provided.

· Providing such a purpose built facility has the benefit of reducing the extent of illegal trail construction in bushland within the urban fringe which can lead to environmental degradation.

· To provide an environment in which younger or less experienced riders within the community can develop key bike handling skills in a safe environment.

· Encouraging exercise & fitness amongst families in the local community

· To encourage an environmentally sustainable form of recreation and transport in accordance with greenhouse gas reduction strategies;

· To provide a facility where the whole family can participate in the ride

· To provide a base for the local kids/cycling community

· To encourage kids off the streets away from vandalism, anti social behaviour and criminal activities.

· To provide a facility to increase and improve their bike riding skills. Varying skill levels makes the track more diverse and challenging for riders as they develop & improve their skills.

· To provide a safe off-road riding facility for all skill levels and ages

· To encourage other types of cycling. Ie. Cross Country (XC), Downhill (DH) and Road Cycling which elevates traffic and pollution issues.

· To provide a facility close to residents homes. Currently to access other tracks around Sydney involves excessive travelling times outside the community or outside of Sydney

· To increase economy for local shops

· To provide a facility to get people out of their homes, off lounges and away from computer games and TV etc.

· To enhance the desirability of the community by adding another useful recreational outlet

· Well designed track will minimise environmental damage to fauna and flora. Will also minimise erosion and minimise need for people to alter track.

· Easily accessible to riders and walkers

· Low cost benefit to Council and Community.

· To provide a fun, engaging, satisfying and safe area for riders and spectators

· Low Maintenance as this facility will be constructed using only soil and clay. Less maintenance 7 chemistry than is required for a lawn

· Reduce unauthorised access to public and privately owned land and property damage

· Personal benefits to the rider: mental focus, adventure, challenge, achievement, excitement and stimulation

· Encourages an appreciation of the Australian outdoors including enjoying the Willoughby area’s scenic beauty, and developing an awareness of nature

· Creating friendships and enjoying activities with friends and family members in a safe enviroment

· Introduction and participation to the Council’s Bushcare Programme. Landscaping this area can consist of planting native plants and bush regeneration. Riders of these facilities are usually happy to volunteer to ensure the area is maintained in pristine condition and pleasing to the eye

· It will deter the dumping of rubbish and weeds in this area

· Users of this area would assist to manage bushland for its aesthetic, recreational, educational and scientific value to the community, and to maximise these values as part of Willoughby’s natural heritage

Cycling is a family orientated sport. A facility like this will encourage people young and “not so “young to participate in this type of activity. It will bring families together, keep them together and build friendships that will last a lifetime

I am hoping to we can also get your support in approving this project. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions

I am looking forward to hearing back from you

Kind Regards

xxxxxx

we also included photos that showed whata pump track looks like and that it can be used by everyone, all ages, skill levels and gender

we have aslo had interest from a couple of professional trail buiders/ companies as well

the goal now is to try and get this done before the Xmas break. I have been told that it should take no more than a few days work with the right equipment and people

we have also had a positive response in our request for BBQ facilities and shade

as mentioned if you are a resident in the Willoughby Council Municipality and would like to help moving things along , PM me and I will send you the email addresses of the 3 councilors

I also believe matt is also going to be sending one as well

Also if anyone gets a chance could you take a look at the bushland behind the big berm and see if there is a possibility to make a mini DH line, starting from Sailors Bay Rd and ending at the golf course golf buggy road? council has also said that this too could be a future possibility if we demonstrate we can be responsible and also taking into account enviromental challenges

at the end of the day, these facilities are cheaper to build than skate parks, so I think Willoughby Council should be congratulated for working with cyclists

Mark

robbodinho

Cannon Fodder
fired off an email this morning to the council this morning after reading about it on the AMB blog - live in Cremorne, parents live in Willoughby...

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Council Meeting

Guys

sorry have been slow with the updates but we are progressing

we have been asked to attend a meeting 6:00p.m on Tuesday 9 February 2010 in the Banksia Room

"meeting to voice the number of off-road riders needs/ issues and to “explore the opportunities” for off road bike activities in the Willoughby Council area"

I think it is important we have a good show of numbers from local riders, both MTB & BMX representing off road cyclists

let us know if you can make the meeting...

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep Nerf ...will send a reminder closer to the time

T-Rex glad to hear your in the Willoughby Shire, theres a few now.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok guys, have been contacted by a few people that live in the area now.

if you live in the Willoughby Council's Shire and got a spare 5 mins it would greatly assist us if you could send an email in support directly to the 3 councillors.

Please clearly state that you would like to see upgrades to the BMX track, and have heard about the plans to upgrade the area to a pump track/ off road cyclists skill park which would be suitable for riders of all ages, and skill levels

Thde councillors details are

Adrian.Cox@willoughby.nsw.gov.au
John.Hooper@willoughby.nsw.gov.au
Gail.Giles-Gidney@willoughby.nsw.gov.au

Thanks