The official running thread

Ran 5km yesterday at lunch, ran 10 km today.

i know I shouldnt have just doubled my kms like that but that I wanted that blasted strava achievement.

On the plus side I guess I've bought myself a number of beers tonite on the kj count, probably gonna need them when my legs seize later in pay later today.

fscsar

Squid
Shoes

I know shoes are such a personal opinion. I however would be interested on peoples thoughts on the Hokas both on road and trail. There was a little bit of talk a few pages back but wondering if there is some follow up. I have only found two sets of shoes that suit me when running Salomon Speedcross 3 and some older inov8's I run with a full orthodox though so it really does change the dynamic and room in the shoe especially in the front. My big problem is at the moment I am doing more on road than off road and the Speedcross' are wearing out quickly as can be expected. I just can't seem to find another Salomon that suits me for running.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
I know shoes are such a personal opinion. I however would be interested on peoples thoughts on the Hokas both on road and trail. There was a little bit of talk a few pages back but wondering if there is some follow up. I have only found two sets of shoes that suit me when running Salomon Speedcross 3 and some older inov8's I run with a full orthodox though so it really does change the dynamic and room in the shoe especially in the front. My big problem is at the moment I am doing more on road than off road and the Speedcross' are wearing out quickly as can be expected. I just can't seem to find another Salomon that suits me for running.
I haven't used Hoka's, but I've just ordered a pair of the new(ish) Inov8 Ultra 290s. Reviews suggest that they have a very roomy forefoot volume, which I will fill with orthotics. I'm planning on using these for the Oxfam in six weeks.

Previously I've used the TrailRoc 255s and the Terrafly 313 Goretex. I loved the Terrafly so much I paid full retail for my second pair, as they were the last pair I could find in the world. I still use my original pair on the bike with flats.

Get back in touch with me in a couple of weeks, and I'll let you know how the Ultras look. I may also have a pair to offload at that stage, because I ordered a US 10 1/2 and a US 11, because I think my foot is growing.

I did no distance training at all for the husky 50, longest ride probably 20kms, then had a shocker of a week before the race in Perth on the sauce, eating all manner of crap, lack of sleep and farked up up timezone shit happening.

But, the few runs I did at lunch time I reckon saved my bacon.

Whilst I ran out of petrol at the end I felt I could climb harder for longer and recover better, still would have liked to do a better time though. probably should do more riding.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Yeah, don't worry about it too much. I signed up for the Oxfam 100km last weekend. The event is in six weeks. My longest run for a year has been my regular seven km commute. In the last ten days I've done a 25 and a 32km run/walk.

The only thing holding my legs (barely) together is the bit of mtbing I've been doing the last couple of months.

The plan is to smash the 100km out in fifteen hours. I'm not sure there will be a lot of mtbing for a few weeks after.

fscsar

Squid
I haven't used Hoka's, but I've just ordered a pair of the new(ish) Inov8 Ultra 290s. Reviews suggest that they have a very roomy forefoot volume, which I will fill with orthotics. I'm planning on using these for the Oxfam in six weeks.

Previously I've used the TrailRoc 255s and the Terrafly 313 Goretex. I loved the Terrafly so much I paid full retail for my second pair, as they were the last pair I could find in the world. I still use my original pair on the bike with flats.

Get back in touch with me in a couple of weeks, and I'll let you know how the Ultras look. I may also have a pair to offload at that stage, because I ordered a US 10 1/2 and a US 11, because I think my foot is growing.
MelbReb will do. Be interesting to see how you go with them.

took two weeks off from running due to work travel and then the husky.

back to running this week at lunch and boy i felt it !!

Reckon I'll do a swim tomorrow morning, give the legs a break before the weekend and smash out some time on the MTB

notime

Likes Dirt
I've been running in the Hoka Stinson Evo's for both trail and road for several years now, even though most of my running is trail based the Stinson still performs well on the tarmac and better on the older shoes that have worn down a bit. Personally being 94kg plus and 197cm the Hoka works really well, I find at my size anything thinner than a Hoka sole i'd class as minimalist for me and I found a whole new level of enjoyment with these trail running.

Longevity wise they are excellent and I have never had a failure just normal wear of the tread. I just bought a new pair last week in the white/black but love my flouro yellow pair.

fscsar

Squid
Notime I shelled out the dollars a couple of days ago. Spent a lot of time in the shop trying the different models and being allowed to take them for a test run outside the shop. Ended up going with the Mafate Speed the Stinsons were my second choice but were noticeably different at the same time. I must say it is still early days but I am very impressed with the feel and absorption ability of them. Anybody in Brisbane looking for some or wondering head down to Globetrekker in West End the guys were super knowledgeable and took their time ensuring I got what suited me best.

I've been running in the Hoka Stinson Evo's for both trail and road for several years now, even though most of my running is trail based the Stinson still performs well on the tarmac and better on the older shoes that have worn down a bit. Personally being 94kg plus and 197cm the Hoka works really well, I find at my size anything thinner than a Hoka sole i'd class as minimalist for me and I found a whole new level of enjoyment with these trail running.

Longevity wise they are excellent and I have never had a failure just normal wear of the tread. I just bought a new pair last week in the white/black but love my flouro yellow pair.

Ran 5kms on tuesday and 7 today.

Trying to get to sub 5mins / km for 5+ km run, currently at 5.20 consitently

just love frocking up again for work after a lunch run

Ran my 100th km since staring up again after along lay off.

I think the running has brought to light an imbalance in my right knee, which I am trying to correct with orthotics.

Not sure its working, but with 5 weeks till I hit the snow I think a trip to the physio may be in order.

I also going to restrict my distance to 5kms and button off my pace coz I cant always be sure I can run twice a week

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've also started back a little. Used to heaps of running, got WAY too obsessed with it. It's nice now to just go and trot 6km without any pressure. This time I'm training for an adventure race but plan to keep running regularly. No more 60km training runs though - those days are over!

Running (especially in the bush) is really peaceful, I miss that.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Can someone please explain running shorts?
We all should know that jocks are not worn under Lycra. But what about running shorts? I bought a pair and they have a mesh liner. Wtf is that for? It looks too course to go commando in. Looks like it would chafe a bitch.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No need to wear undies with running shorts, thats what the mesh liner is for. Shouldn't chafe but bodyglide is a good product to prevent chafe.

Be honest - you have chub rub don't you?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Can someone please explain running shorts?
We all should know that jocks are not worn under Lycra. But what about running shorts? I bought a pair and they have a mesh liner. Wtf is that for? It looks too course to go commando in. Looks like it would chafe a bitch.
The liner is instead of the undies.

Much, much better than normal shorts and undies, you will chafe way less.

I just use Savlon to further prevent against chafing. Cheap and effective, and be liberal in application.