The Photo Snob Thread

skivi

Likes Dirt
i'm still using uni's hasselblad (zeiss 50mm) for landscape at the moment. we have a Toyo 5x4 i will be using from July but eventually i'd like a somewhat practical medium format outfit of my own, the quality of the hasselblad gear is obviously second to none but the 6 by 7 nature of the Mamiya 7's are very tempting, yesterday i was comparing untouched scans of my blad work to my friends mamiya 7 stuff where both cameras shot on the same film and the 7 just blew me away.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
If im not mistaken its pretty much a digital sensor to be used with cameras that were originally design for use with film. It replaces a film holder with a digital sensor and pretty much converts it to a digital camera. Mostly used with medium and large format cameras.
Yeah they make digital backs for medium format cameras and they used to make some for large format too. Although many of the large format backs are a scan back so you need a constant light source so no using flash or shooting moving subjects. Most of their products they make now are for new medium format digital cameras like Sinars, mamyia and hasselblad.

The advantage of a camera with a bigger sensor is the sharpness straight out of camera. Have a look at this which highlights some of the advantages of a larger sensor and not forgetting to mention 16bit files.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/virtual-demo-overview/hasselblad-image-quality/resolution.aspx

JoshP

Likes Dirt
Hello everyone, went to the end of my street the other day and toke this one. My first time taking this sort of picture so some C&C would be nice.
And do you guys know a cheap website to buy externals. Cheers

LQQK

Likes Bikes
any film freaks on here had any real world experience with the Mamiya 7 6x7 range finder or the Mamiya 645 series 6x4.5 cameras?

i have a friend with a new 7 but want some other reviews from people that have owned or at least used these models.

I really enjoy reading this thread, more so because I like the fact people are using film and not just digital. Photography along with bikes has kept me pretty poor. BITD I used to have a darkroom set up that could do up to 16”x20”, I had a really cheap source of paper – but that’s another story.

I still use my Nikon FA with 24mm, 50, 105mm macro and 100-300 zoom. I also used to have a Bronica SQAm. I always preferred a square format that’s why I went with the Bronica over the Mamiya (I was looking at the RB). It had a built in motor drive that could do about 3 a second (the noise was pretty loud too).

If you can give a Bronice a go, I found the lenses to be excellent, and a fraction of the cost of Hasselbald. If I was getting a medium format camera again, I would still get a Bronica but wouldn’t touch the SQAm (or any newer model that needs so many batteries), I would just go for the SQA and get the speed winder grip. The SQAm just had too many electronics to go wrong (mainly the motor drive) so repairs were expensive. I literally ended up throwing out the body because I was quoted nearly as much for the repair as a replacement cost. I sold off my lenses, but now regret that, but still have a few other parts/ filters.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
So thanks to some earlier help with lens choice from u guys, i convinced my boss into buying me a Tamaron 17-50mm 2.8 lens. I picked it up last night, and took some images of my new shoes ( i know exciting right?) well i forgot my cable to upload them, so we all miss out :( anyways just wanted to say cheers for the help, was much appreciated. Will post pics when i take it out to play :)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
If im not mistaken its pretty much a digital sensor to be used with cameras that were originally design for use with film. It replaces a film holder with a digital sensor and pretty much converts it to a digital camera. Mostly used with medium and large format cameras.
Thanks Alan!

skivi

Likes Dirt
Hasselblad 503cxi ~ Zeiss Planar 50mm f/4 ~ Kodak Portra 160VC

still not happy with the images i'm making this year. i had a foot in the door to shoot a Greenhouse then an old open cut sand mine but i must have some bad Karma because both fell through at the worst possible times. i have a new Greenhouse lined up near Phillip Island and permission from the manager, 5X4 here i come.

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
ok snobbers, finally got my cast off and about to start earning money again. Just wondering if i should go with the 24-105f4.0L for 1500 (approx) or shell out a little bit more for the 24-70f2.8L for 2000 (approx). I am somewhat leaning to the 24-70.

what do you think? save a little with the 24-105 or go for the 24-70?

saMfish

Likes Dirt
ok snobbers, finally got my cast off and about to start earning money again. Just wondering if i should go with the 24-105f4.0L for 1500 (approx) or shell out a little bit more for the 24-70f2.8L for 2000 (approx). I am somewhat leaning to the 24-70.

what do you think? save a little with the 24-105 or go for the 24-70?
24-70 alllll the way imo.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Also remember, Conor that the 24-105L will be f/4, and not f/2.8 so it wont be as fast in that respect, nor will it be as good in low light. Spend the extra $500 and save yourself an exra $2000 in the long run when you decide that its time for an upgrade.:)

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In it's defence, the 24-105 has IS, which is good for low light also, but definately not riding shots. So yes, all in all another vote for 24-70L.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
haven't been in here much lately due to not having internet/not having time/not taking photos/not riding bikes etc. Stupid work.

Anyway, I now have internet, no thanks to the incompetent fuckwits at Telstra tech support.

So I caught a whiff of a new Pentax model on another forum, check it out:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7A.HTM#

Some interesting features:
  • electronic levelling - not just showing an artificial horizon but automatically rotating the sensor by a few degrees to match. Very cool.
  • Electronic composition adjustment - move the sensor a few mm in any direction to adjust composition.
  • 100% viewfinder
  • in built focus light
  • hard buttons for ISO and WB
  • compact, metal chassis with better weather sealing than the K20d
  • faster focussing, better metering than the K20d.
  • more accurate white balance under mixed lighting conditions

Of course it does all the usual shit like movies, live view etc. And it has a 14.6 CMOS sensor that is the ducks guts as far as IQ goes.

It certainly corrects a few things I didn't like about the K10d/K20d. I really like the idea of a more compact, rugged camera that offers near pro level features and performance. Maybe I should switch back to digital...