The Photo Snob Thread

heavyp

You heard it here first
photo-1.jpg
Putting the feelers out there before it goes on ebay, not to sure whats here exactly i only pulled it out of the safe today, eos 3, eos 5, eos 20d, 2 mamiya rb67's numerous backs 120 and polaroid, 2 mamiya rz67 one has a phase one 22 pixel digi back, numerous lenses not sure whats what will get details over the weekend of monday i know there a 250,127,50,90, and a few more just not sure what fits on what body, power winders for boronica, bellows for a boronica and a few backs not camera thou. Ill get a better list soon. Inbox me or just reply here

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
View attachment 205954
Putting the feelers out there before it goes on ebay, not to sure whats here exactly i only pulled it out of the safe today, eos 3, eos 5, eos 20d, 2 mamiya rb67's numerous backs 120 and polaroid, 2 mamiya rz67 one has a phase one 22 pixel digi back, numerous lenses not sure whats what will get details over the weekend of monday i know there a 250,127,50,90, and a few more just not sure what fits on what body, power winders for boronica, bellows for a boronica and a few backs not camera thou. Ill get a better list soon. Inbox me or just reply here
Wow dude. Where did that lot come from?

What would one be asking for one of the RZ67s (ProII?), the Phase One digital back and the 90mm lens (f/3.5 for the RZ I presume?). Totally can't afford it but very tempted.

In other MF news, a work colleague just acquired a Fotoman 6 x 24...probably take a while before it's operational but in the mean time, we're planning a snow hike with a 6 x 17 Fotoman. Gunna be a bitch to carry but the results are oh so worth it!

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Wow dude. Where did that lot come from?

What would one be asking for one of the RZ67s (ProII?), the Phase One digital back and the 90mm lens (f/3.5 for the RZ I presume?). Totally can't afford it but very tempted.

In other MF news, a work colleague just acquired a Fotoman 6 x 24...probably take a while before it's operational but in the mean time, we're planning a snow hike with a 6 x 17 Fotoman. Gunna be a bitch to carry but the results are oh so worth it!
Just got a job as an assistant for a commercial photog and i was asking what he used to shoot with he pulled it all out of the safe and i was like sell that shit and he said if you can sell it for me you get a cut haha, he would like a few more lenses so thou its time to sell it, Im not sure what it all is but ill get a proper list on monday for ya detailed.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just got a job as an assistant for a commercial photog and i was asking what he used to shoot with he pulled it all out of the safe and i was like sell that shit and he said if you can sell it for me you get a cut haha, he would like a few more lenses so thou its time to sell it, Im not sure what it all is but ill get a proper list on monday for ya detailed.
Rad.

Anything 'Phase One' is almost certainly out of my price range :( Never know though...

Still interested to see what you come up with :)

heavyp

You heard it here first
Rad.

Anything 'Phase One' is almost certainly out of my price range :( Never know though...

Still interested to see what you come up with :)
i think they go for about 6grand maybe a tad more or less ill find out for you as soon as i know anyways

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Hey guys had a moto shoot with a mate last week, here is some from the shoot and more here http://www.flickr.com/photos/samroutledge/sets/72157627081314939/

i'm planning for another shoot on some better tracks in a few weeks and im just hoping I coudl gets some thoughts on how I can improve?

Also I had my first "proper" shoot for a mates Single release cover/ portfolio which ill have up in a few days.
Just curious what everyones prefernces are in regards to shooting with softboxes and umbrellas e.g a combination of both or one or the other

Cheers Sam

Attachments

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
yer he did. the flash wont work outside wireless by using the on camera flash as master and the yn 468 as a slave. why is this?
Like Scott said, when using the flash as a slave, the flash does not fire, is this because there is nothing for the radio signals to to reflect off to tell the flash? If so these are some receivers/ transmitters, that i have been looking at as a cheep alternative to Pocketwizards or Alienbees (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YongNuo-...60715893080?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item3cb3e0d158) would these be of any benefit/ make a difference or am i just better off saving and getting some Alienbees?

Thanks in advance.

CyberSync*

Last edited:

mcrae

Likes Bikes
did a road trip with a friend of mine a couple of months back have just flogged these off my facebook, didnt really save them on my computer unfortunately, cant remember why i didnt.... dropped in on leitch on the way through brisbane. camera is a sony NEX300, so the plastic version of the 500. the camera was my friends, not mine, am considering buying a camera and was really happy with the way it performed, any comments on any other cameras in that sort of style would be appreciated, hope you like them. mcrae.

sorry for the thread smash.

and a random one from my mates ipoo.

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Bought a new pair of Chuck Taylors, took the opportunity while the were still clean out of the box, too take some shots :)

C&C Please!

5945556743_0e00418b5b_b.jpg

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Looking for some adice.

I'e been asked to coer an eent in a couple of weeks. I guess the best description is a carnial type thing; face-painting, dunk tanks, food, and a big and proper stage for some decent bands from mid afternoon --> night.

I'e only done something like this once before and had a tonne of fun and got some quality shots but thought I'd put it to the snobs.
What gear would you use, tips for settings, shots to look out for etc. etc.
Any adice - lay it on me.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Hey guys, shot this at the new Belconnen skatepark using my new yn-468 flash:
the flash wont work outside wireless by using the on camera flash as master and the yn 468 as a slave. why is this?
Like Scott said, when using the flash as a slave, the flash does not fire, is this because there is nothing for the radio signals to to reflect off to tell the flash? If so these are some receivers/ transmitters, that i have been looking at as a cheep alternative to Pocketwizards or Alienbees (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YongNuo-...60715893080?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item3cb3e0d158) would these be of any benefit/ make a difference or am i just better off saving and getting some Alienbees?

Thanks in advance.

CyberSync*
Some things need to be cleared up here I think.

The 'wireless' system you described is triggered optically (ie. the slave flash is triggered when it detects the light burst from the master flash - also known as pre-flash) This is very different to the radio-based systems used by PocketWizard, Elinchrom Skyport and Alienbee CyberSync which consist of a trigger (mounted on the camera) and a receiver (attached to the slave) and talk to each other on a preset radio frequency.

My guess is that jackaroo had either used incorrect set up the optical flash/slave interface (shutter speed too high for the flash to respond to the pre flash) or was simply not in range/correct position for the slave to register the camera's preflash. If the optical system employed by YongNuo is anything like Nikon, there is going to be some form of sensor that needs to be facing the camera flash at a range it is able to detect.

Optically-triggered flash slaves are great as they don't require any further external hardware and are often full TTL compatible. However, they will only function at close range (ie. perfect for studio work where everything is in close proximity to one and other) - probably not the most appropriate for shots like that above. For field work like this, you're best bet is to opt for radio-based triggers/receivers.

Before you rush out and spend a packet on high-end radio triggers, I'd be most considering the cheaper alternatives like the Cactus series of triggers/receivers or the YongNuo ones you linked. A trigger/reciever combo will set you back ~$60 which is a fraction of the cost of just a pocket wizard trigger meaning you have more money to invest in a) more flashes or b) better flashes. Like many other snobs on here, I have a set of Cactus triggers in my backpack - may not have the wank factor of the pocket wizards but function all the same. In short, buy a set of ''poverty wizards' and go play! :)

One thing to be mindful of is your flash sync speed with can be a limiting factor if using slaves in broad daylight. In a nutshell, a radio-triggered set up will only permit you to shoot up to ~1/200th sec as it has no compatibility for high speed sync. This is where higher-end products will excel but one also must be mindful that in HSS mode, flash dynamics (specifically the way in which flashes freeze motion) changes. In short, shoot in the evening ;)

With regards to your image, as I outlined above, in such bright light, flashes may not be of much help to you. You'd be better to experiment with natural lighting techniques to illuminate/expose the rider (which you've done anyways!) ;)

Hope that helps man

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Something a bit abstract from today… The result of combining pine needles, rain, humidity and a foggy lens and level adjustments in PP. Thought it looked like it was shot underwater in a murky river or something.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Sorry bro, not enough going on here. Cool colours but the subject is too obscured by the background. Further, the needles are so fine that one is left unsure as to what they're actually looking at.

I'd have really singled out that water droplet (macro lens would have been ideal) and made more of an effort to 'draw it out' of the image.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Thanks for the comments Ango, will take them on board for next time. Yeah, if I didn't say they were pine needles, no one would ever know. I did like the way the fog filtered the light and how it lent itself to being manipulated with the colour, but yeah, the subject is almost non-existant. Will keep working at it.