The Photo Snob Thread

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ah; rangefinder hipster appeal bizz.
Actually no, it's designed to compete with the likes of the Olympus, Sony and Panasonic interchangeable mirror-less cameras. It's not that cool :p It's been long awaited (not as long as the D700 replacement mind you) and is a pretty tall order for little old Nikon (who required a firm kick in the bum just to develop a full frame 35mm sensor).

The new CX format is a 2.7x crop and apparently accepts Nikon AF-S and AF-I mount lenses.

*shrugs*

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Just a mirrorless. The new format is 'CX'.
Good luck finding a 40.5mm filter!

Here are a few recent ones from me (ok, not that recent, but the landscapes a few pages back where too intimidating to post with!), taken in and around Banff, Canada. Would love some thoughts!

6122334321_a5f8ee94e6_z.jpg

6119088798_2b1bdfa298_z.jpg

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
its nice but is there are reason you where shooting at f11 rather then 22 or smaller
Between f/5.6 and f/8 is this lens' 'sweet spot' as far as IQ and sharpness is concerned.

Smaller and you'll encounter some image degradation due to diffraction.

xgenesis

Likes Dirt
Between f/5.6 and f/8 is this lens' 'sweet spot' as far as IQ and sharpness is concerned.

Smaller and you'll encounter some image degradation due to diffraction.
Yer i know what you mean, as for composition i like it although the house to the right is a little distracting and draws your eye away from the tree...

tu plang

knob
I like the idea but for some reason it doesn't get across the line for me. I can't put my finger on it. I think it's that I know there is a certain depth and vastness there if I think about it - i.e. look at the size of the tree and try and judge distances - but that it doesn't come through naturally. I would say that is due to the lack of any visual cues in the field itself. Some lines (which can't really be expected given the type of field) or some shadow/contrast would help. I think the colours are fantastic but overall the result is flat.

What I could suggest:

- Some dodge and burn on the field to try and accentuate the curves and the natural contours that already exist.

and if you are daring...

- drop in a nice sky with some fluffy contrasty clouds on a deep blue sky.

This guy does it with exceptional class http://www.flickr.com/photos/larsvandegoor/2775732518/in/faves-benjamin-h/

I live for minimal landscape shots like this with an interesting but fairly simple field and a nice sky but I think there has to be some cues in the foreground to make the photo work. Lines or shadows. In terms of shadows, it's another reason to shoot in the morning or afternoon.

tu plang

knob
Yeah fair call Drew. Now that you've said that I can't help but look at it differently. I don't think it's HDR, i think the sun is behind him so it's pretty evenly lit but yeah.... it certainly lacks any good highlights and shadows... but the colours are hard to beat.

And... yeah his photostream for the most part is unbelievable. His shots in Barvarian forests and paths lined with trees are simply amazing. Well worth a browse for inspiration.

His processing definitely takes it to the artier end of photography but whether that is your cup of tea or not, the final product is all class.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larsvandegoor/3019327313/in/photostream

Last edited:

Toff

Likes Dirt
So.. How much trust should I put into what Ken Rockwell says?

Looking to jump ship from Pentax and if he's to be believed, anything other than a D7000 with an 18-200 VR would be madness. I've done some research and on paper the D7k seems pretty good, better in most ways than a 7D or even a D300s. And Rockwell seems to think the 18-200 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. or his kids.. Seems like a winning combo, anyone care to tell me how wrong I am?

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Sorry Toff - never shot with the D7000 though I do love the 18-200 for travelling.
I'm just getting thoroughly annoyed that Nikon is refusing to put out a replacement to the D700. I'm looking forward to a Nikon that can compete in all aspects to the 5DmkII. -_-

Surely I'm not the only one who's checked out Santos City of Lights in Brisbane? Chuck up your shots! And if you haven't been - go, it runs till Saturday and is a pretty cool spectacle.

Sadly my tripod is thoroughly broken so I was limited to a extremely few possible shots.

DSC_0119-2.jpg

DSC_0130-2.jpg

On a slightly unrelated note; I'm looking to start a blog for photography and general anecdotes - blogger, wordpress, and tumblr hae been suggested, which should I go for?

Last edited: